Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 4:20pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Intel Price Cuts »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Intel Price Cuts
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Intel Price Cuts  (Read 525 times)
granorpio

1998 Silver Facelift Cosworth

View Profile

Intel Price Cuts
« on: Apr 19th, 2007, 9:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all
Back once again.. hooray. Grin
Having finally built a new computer I then found myself with no internet again as my old modem decided that enough was enough.  Angry  Cry anyhow I've now managed to buy a new one and I'm up and running and ready to inform those of you interested that I have read that from April 22nd Intel are planning to cut the price on CPU's by as much as 40%.  Good News at last.  

Mike
IP Logged

- Mike -

So nearly said "goodbye" but now Scorpio will see another day, alongside the replacement! eek!
Spannerdemon

Email

Re: Intel Price Cuts
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20th, 2007, 12:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

MODEM Shocked  Shocked       Haven't seen one of those for a while.......Mike.....Go Broadband . You'll probably have a LAN connection (for an ethernet cablle) on your motherboard  anyway which does the business VERY efficiently.

You won't believe the difference in download speeds. we currently download at between  750 Kb to 1 MB a second. I build and repair PC's in my spare time and the only time I ever use a modem is to initially connect a new PC for a customer who has NO connection, to enable me to connect to the internet whilst setting up a broadband account for them.

Best ISP (take it from someone who has dealt with almost all of them) is ORANGE. Worst.....by a LONG margin has to be AOL, closely followed by Tiscali. I wouldn't touch either of them with a bargepole.

I too have seen this info re Intel processors. Good news if they do it, because their high end duo core ones at £300-500 a time are a WEE bit pricey!!  Grin

The standard Pentium 4 3Ghz 800 (Socket 775) ones currently retail at about £35.00 which is amazing considering that about a year ago they were almost 4 times this.  Wink
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 20th, 2007, 5:11pm »

SD, I think he means modem in general. I've got a router now but to me it's still a box which plugs into the phone socket...modem. Calling it a router with my thingyney accent always makes me feel a bit Canadian Roll Eyes.

IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 20th, 2007, 5:13pm »

on Apr 20th, 2007, 5:11pm, TiberiuS wrote:
Calling it a router with my thingyney accent

Blimey, never knew having an accent derived form the east end of London was so offensive Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
granorpio

1998 Silver Facelift Cosworth

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Apr 20th, 2007, 11:45pm »

Thanks for the input.
Sorry for the wording used. I was actually referring to an ADSL modem + router.
A standalone ADSL modem such as the speedtouch one are often connected via the USB to your computer and for use with one computer only. A router will allow several computers to access the ADSL modem built in via LAN or like in most cases nowadays via wireless as well.  The computer accessing will have to have either its own LAN connection slot or wireless network card depending on how you wish to access the modem.

Also on the subject of broadband. I do have broadband connection which is at 8.5mb per second (though the stable line rate is only 6.5mb and even this can vary- depends upon the time of day and the number on the WWW) but still I would recommend the company that I use, Eclipse and they have now been voted best consumer broadband and winner of the the ISPAs 2007. Orange formally Wanadoo formally Freeserve have been voted worst.

As well as that I will be making the move on to Core 2 Duo.  The one I have been watching has been progressively coming down in price and is currently residing round the £150 mark.  I'm hoping with these cuts it will drop the price substantially more in line with my wallet  Grin

Mike
IP Logged

- Mike -

So nearly said "goodbye" but now Scorpio will see another day, alongside the replacement! eek!
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 21st, 2007, 8:45am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I still use a starting handle on my old one!!  Grin  Grin
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.