Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 6:23pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Small claims court »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Small claims court
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Small claims court  (Read 1369 times)
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Small claims court
« on: May 8th, 2007, 12:21am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Just made a claim for an unpaid taxi fare with 'Her Majesty's Courts Service' online.

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp

Had to pay the £30.00 court costs, but should get it back  Wink

Anyone else ever had to use this service ?....how long did it take to recover the money ?.... did it go smoothly?...& more importantly, did you manage to get the £30.00 court costs back okay ?  Smiley
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

Re: Small claims court
« Reply #1 on: May 8th, 2007, 8:04am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Yes, we used it last year with great success to get money back from a certain useless outfit in Norwich.

HERE

We received a cheque for the full amount that was owed to my wife, within two weeks of the application having been served on the firm, along with the court costs, so YES you get those back from the person you are chasing.  

Basically, the costs are added to what they owe you. In your case, whatever you are owed + £30, and so that's the financial demand they get from the Court Service.  

Very useful  for persuading people who owe you money to pay their dues. Although I have to say I was getting ready to go up to Norwich with a nasty surprise for them at one point!!  Shocked

If they don't pay up, they face Court proceedings, and of course the risk of them getting a County Court Judgement entered against their name which can damage them very badly for credit/ mortgage/Insurance/ etc etc. So realistically, it's up to them to smell the coffee.  Cool

They can't get out of it anymore.  Mr Judge won't have any of THAT!!   NoNo  NoNo  NoNo

Good luck mate.  Smiley
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 8th, 2007, 9:01am »

I remember that grief you had with the mattress supplier now, & glad you got a result  Wink

Only a couple of weeks to recover the amount....that is good to know  Smiley

Cheers Keith  Wink
IP Logged
the_boogeyman

Email

« Reply #3 on: May 8th, 2007, 10:44am »

if you get any bennefits it dosnt cost you anything to make a claim through the courts, we didnt know this until they asked us if we were getting any type of bennefit.
they were most helpful
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: May 8th, 2007, 11:24pm »

We get child benefit...does that count ?  Undecided
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: May 9th, 2007, 1:29am »

You mean,  you don't need to employ an overpriced   member of the  Legal Fraternity ?

How has this come about?    

That one  flew under their radar,   normally  a  bloody amputated arm or leg  is required before   these  superannuated   penpushers can muster sufficient  energy to  rise  from  their  coffins  to  draw  up  a   Will  or   compose a stiff letter to a  troublesome  neighbour. Cry
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: May 9th, 2007, 2:11am »

Yep Mr Floppy  Wink......thirty quid is all you pay, & as long as the defendant pays up, then you get it back  Smiley.......hopefully  Wink

It happened about six weeks ago.

The unpaid fare was £45.00 & the woman left me her cheque book as security & said she would return with the money....she never did.

With the name on the cheque book, I managed to find her address via the electoral register.

A few days later I went to her address in Chelmsford (she was shocked to see me again) & she wrote me a cheque, which she assured me would not bounce.

Not only did it bounce, but the account didn't actually exist...it was shut  Huh

It still makes my blood boil to think that she took advantage of my good nature twice, so that's why I'm going through the small claims court.

Normally I wouldn't bother, but she obviously does this quite often & seems like a bit of a con woman (she seems to know all the tricks)....so I'm gonna make her realise that she's bitten off more that she can chew this time  Wink

It's now going to cost her £75.00....some people don't realise their own stupidity  Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Alastair

2.3 Ghia X & MGB Roadster

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: May 9th, 2007, 8:09am »

Good luck with the court  and sorry I don't have the Idle control valve which they replaced (for free)

Alastair
IP Logged
the_boogeyman

Email

« Reply #8 on: May 9th, 2007, 9:20am »

any goverment benefit is all that is required to make a claim upto £5000 plus costs, just ask at your local county court for the leaflet, then just take the original copies of your benefit with you and they do all the work
IP Logged
the_boogeyman

Email

« Reply #9 on: May 9th, 2007, 9:22am »

jonnycab you should also claim back your bank charges for the bounced cheque and also the interest, on both fare and bank charges
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: May 9th, 2007, 9:39am »

The bank didn't charge me for the bounced cheque & to be honest, it's not just about the money, although it would be nice to get it  Smiley

It's also about how this woman thinks she's conned me & got away with it. I would love to see her face when she opens that letter & realises that she hasn't got away with anything & due to her own stupidity, it's going to cost her more  ROFL ROFL

That'll teach her to take me for a mug & rip me off  Angry.... Grin
IP Logged
the_boogeyman

Email

« Reply #11 on: May 9th, 2007, 9:57am »

have you checked that she hasnt moved again, i say as this sort of person dosnt stay around to long.

she may get the letter then move away
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: May 9th, 2007, 10:15am »

When I filled in her address on the claim, the site automatically checked the name & address with it's database, & it came back okay  Smiley

So I'm not particularly worried about that. Their database should be up to date  Wink
IP Logged
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: May 9th, 2007, 10:21am »

IMO JC I think this woman should be done in a criminal court let alone the small claims court, she had absolutely no intension of paying on TWO occasions, she should have her hands chopped offthen she wouldn't be able to write checks..... Angry   Cor' they really make my blood boil....GRRRRR!

Ok I will have to calm down now, I could blow my top....

Go for it JC take her to the highest court in the land...
 Angry
Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: May 9th, 2007, 11:55am »

Regarding whether she should be done in a criminal court...then I'm not sure about that  Undecided

The reason being is that, when I found out her address, I firstly went to the police.
They told me that they couldn't help me & I should seek the services of a solicitor because the fare was a contract between me & her  Huh
I even informed them that it was a criminal offence not to pay a licensed taxi fare, but they just didn't want to know  Angry

Many of my fellow collegues that have also had 'runners' & have called or been to the police, have also experienced a complete lack of interest from them  Roll Eyes

Hmm...I think I can tell which direction this topic may start to go  Wink
IP Logged
the_boogeyman

Email

« Reply #15 on: May 9th, 2007, 12:19pm »

the police are a complete waste of space, THAT REMINDS ME I MUST RING NOW AS IM GOING TO BE BURGLED NEXT WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: May 9th, 2007, 12:33pm »

You might refer them to Section 11 of the Fraud Act, 2006 and that Section of the Theft Act concerning 'going equipped to steal'.  Wink.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: May 9th, 2007, 12:39pm »

Cheers Mike, it's worth considering if for some reason she refuses to pay  Smiley
IP Logged
Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #18 on: May 9th, 2007, 1:45pm »

Hi,  

Small claims procedure is ok if they've got something to lose, i.e. a business such as the matress company who dont really want a CCJ.

However, this woman sounds like a seasoned "knocker" so she'll probably not worry about a judgement against her.
Sure, I agree with you spend the thirty quid and give her some grief, but dont expect her to pay up, these sort of people usually don't own anything on paper, and as has been said they often dissapear into the night leaving a trail of debt behind.

Personally I'd send a couple of mates, who are unknown to her round to threaten her, until she pays.  It is often the only thing these people understand, and if they get the Politzei involved you can just say "nothing to do with me she must owe someone else money" !  They usually can't be bothered to try and prove it !

Trust me I am dealing with a so called friend, who "bought" my girlfriends motorbike, but has only paid £400 of the £1600 he owes her. Basically he then agreed to pay her £100 per month and did'nt !! I got involved and he threatened me with the police LOL  Grin Grin  

I then went round several times to repo the bike, but he's always out on it.  Funny thing is they could afford to go to Tenerife on holiday, trouble is I didnt know they were away until after they had come back LOL Sad

So now he ain't dealing with me, he's got 2 right nasty fella's who he now owes £1200 to and I dont know nuffink occifer  Grin Grin

I HATE SCUM

Good luck anyway let us know how you get on,

Regards Dave
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: May 9th, 2007, 3:42pm »

Dave....that wasn't exactly a confidence boost, but it was the truth I suppose  Smiley

I had considered the fact that she may not be scared of a CCJ, but this is only the first plan of attack  Wink

I'll just have to wait & see what happens within the next two weeks. If she coughs up, then it's mission accomplished, if she doesn't, then a new plan of action is required  Wink

Just what that is going to be yet, I'm not sure. But I definately won't be doing anything underhand or illegal.  
Besides, she has a little 4 year old boy & I'm not into frightening little children  Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.