Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 9th, 2024, 3:19am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« DIY car repairs »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   DIY car repairs
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: DIY car repairs  (Read 516 times)
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

DIY car repairs
« on: May 17th, 2007, 10:33am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Could someone clarify what exactly you are allowed to do to your car on the road outside your house ? Not having the luxury of a driveway I've always worked on my car outside the house - even changed an engine or 2 many years ago. With the recent 'Statutory Nuisance' laws, are we actually allowed to do anything apart from maybe wash the car and check the tyre pressures ?
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

Re: DIY car repairs
« Reply #1 on: May 17th, 2007, 1:12pm »

Apart from  weird  local Bye-Laws   ( like,   no  Swan  Baiting  on   Church Land  when  there's  a  Z in  the Month )   or  causing an  obstruction  to  road or  pavement  users    ( and no  huge puddles of oil  and stuff  in the gutters )    I  can't see  a problem  with  DIY  in the road.

If you're  doing  it  as  a  business  however,  that's  a different  matter Undecided

If you're
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 17th, 2007, 2:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Agree

Years ago when I had to work in the road occasionally, I ALWAYS used to put a sheet of tarpaulin under the car before starting any work. Just drive onto it. It saves an awful lot of hassle, with drips etc, and also stops things rolling away into drains.

I think most people are pretty OK with you doing odd jobs on your own car. (And I agree totally with the not for  business thing ). Changing engines on the road, is VERY borderline I think. Once maybe, but no more.

The problems usually start when you have leaking oil on the road, hammering and banging at unsocial hours, and simply not considering neighbours.

With a bit of goodwill you might even get the odd job from your neighbours!!  

(Working in THEIR own drives, of course).  Cheesy

IP Logged
Ultima2300

RIP Blue 2.3 Ultima / White 2.0 8v Executive

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: May 17th, 2007, 5:58pm »

I would have thought with the above proviso's there shouldn't be a problem.  If there was I'm sure someone would have objected to the "mobile mechanics" you see advertised in the local rags.

Geoff
IP Logged
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: May 17th, 2007, 6:25pm »

Cheers !
Never thought about mobile mechanics - there is even a website I found to locate one near you : http://www.mobilecarmechanic.net/
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: May 17th, 2007, 7:35pm »

I guess it depends on the neighbours. In more 'exclusive' Roll Eyes areas they'd be more likely to get snotty, but it's like anything else - keep it to reasonable hours and don't interfere with other people and I don't see how they could really do much about it.

Unless you have a really barmy local council Roll Eyes.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: May 17th, 2007, 7:54pm »

i think it becomes a problem when it comes to getting rid of waste oils and fluids, pouring them down the drain can land u with a huge fine or jail time. i know my local tip has an oil dump which it now charges people to use.its also monitored to make sure no nasty stuff is being dumped illegally.  

ive worked on the pavement many times as my drive way slopes quite a bit, ive had coppers, moms with prams, old people with canes etc... come past and said nothing but 'hello'.

there are limits, i can imagine having more then one car at a time in bits can be a large eye sore.  

keep it tidy and every thing should be fine
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
dogma

THE IVE NOT GOT A CLUE MONSTER

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: May 20th, 2007, 4:55am »

Agree Agree Agree The only time the Law or council will and can get involved is if your running a business or are doing anything deemed as anti social I.E banging or being a general nuisance into the evening or night.Or as everyone said making a mess with oil etc.
IP Logged

LIKE MY CAR, WIDE WITH BIG TYRES
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.