Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 8:31pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« DVD Audio »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   DVD Audio
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: DVD Audio  (Read 524 times)
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

DVD Audio
« on: May 31st, 2007, 12:47am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Got my main computer rig downstairs at the moment, still ripping apart my office room in the attic.

Tonight I rigged it up to one of my hifi setups, my old Pioneer setup through the Celestions. I got a very expensive Audigy soundcard the other year (well, expensive computer card wise Roll Eyes), always thought it sounded 'good' for a PC but nowhere compared to my (old) CD spinner. Loaded in a DVD Audio demo disc I had. Well, I'm not too keen on some of the stuff on there but track 5 was Mujaka by the Latin Jazz Trio...the sound almost blew me away. I know this track was a kind of foray into DVD audio but it was so dynamic, you could hear the natural  acoustics and reverb of the recording... if you've ever had the sound panel off of a real piano and listened to it 'raw' with the vibrations humming through the floor, you'll know what I mean...

You can have it playing so loud that  you can't hear to shout over it yet it didn't sound loud, none of the harshness or distortion CDs bring that you'd normally associate with dB levels...reminded me what £3000 loudspeakers are really for Roll Eyes. I get to the point where I find CDs sound lifeless, don't even get me started on WMA audio Lips Sealed

Yup, I'm crazy - just wondered if anyone else has touched DVD audio and whether it's worth me getting into debt for a good standalone player Grin.

Regards, Bruce Wink.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

Re: DVD Audio
« Reply #1 on: May 31st, 2007, 3:42pm »

hmmm...looks like I'm the only nut on earth who's been sold this whole hi res digital audio thing Grin

Never mind Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 31st, 2007, 4:02pm »

Why not get it on vinyl?  Roll Eyes

No cd player can beat a GOOD record player. Those are terribly expensive though.
IP Logged

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Norway
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: May 31st, 2007, 6:00pm »

That is true, but just try walking into a record shop in Essex and asking for something on vinyl ROFL

The last lot of vinyl I bought came from Australia and even then not all small labels put out on vinyl and sometimes it's mastered badly Sad

I do like my old Technics SL-150, very nice Ortofon cart and pure silver interconnects that I got from the same studio as the C's...would take a good CD spinner to match that for midrange and soundstage, despite it being 30 years old. I also restore some 1200 series Technics, not bad TTs if fitted with a better arm.

One day (when I have money), I will look for a really top end TT, along with a nice Musical Fidelity NuVista valve amp (250w/ch, always wanted one of those Grin). Might even have a go at scratch building a TT, if I could get a good arm and someone to machine me a slab of granite worktop...

2 tonne granite turntable platter powered by a 24v lump...now that's an idea Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: May 31st, 2007, 10:27pm »

Sounds nice  Grin

You can make me one as well. Your expenses + a tenner for the postage should do it? ROFLROFLROFL
IP Logged

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Norway
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jun 1st, 2007, 3:52am »

Bought a 'Project Debut II' turntable with an Ortofon cartridge a couple of years ago & it's a fantastic turntable.

None off your plastic rubbish, it's solid wood (well chipboard probably) & the sound quality is amazing.....very crisp & clear....if it wasn't for the scratches, I would say better than most CD players  Smiley

At £90 new....a bargain  Wink
IP Logged
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 1st, 2007, 6:28pm »

It's a good turntable Jonny because it's got a well damped wooden plinth (doesn't matter if it's chip or MDF, as long as it's dense) and it's got no toys to soak up the manufacturing cost. Well damped=better sound, try that next to a plastic bodied TT and see what you think Grin.  

I had a guy send me an Alphason Sonata for repair before christmas, nice turntable, I'm not knocking it. But so overpriced for what it was, just a lump of 'low resonance' resin and a veneered ply plinth Roll Eyes.

I'm moving away from the old Jap stuff now, I still restore some of it and have a few bits of vintage Pioneer and Technics gear that I want to keep, leaning more torwards high end British gear or home brewed. I'm toying with the idea of making one out of a floppy disc drive (saw it done on the net), if anyone has a 3.5" drive and slab of granite kitchen worktop they don't need, I'm all ears Grin

Regards, Bruce Wink
IP Logged

Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jun 2nd, 2007, 4:09am »

So that means the Project Debut has your approval then Bruce  Wink

Bought it because it won What HiFi's best budget turntable award  Smiley
IP Logged
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Jun 12th, 2007, 12:14am »

All alone tonight, rigged up the vinyl for the first time in ages. Got the remains of the vintage Pioneer setup playing, impressive after not hearing it for so long. Ok, maybe it's old gear but it works well the way I've got it rigged and it sounds a million dollars tonight nevertheless.

Yeah. No doubt, vinyl is better...but the DVD does sound a step up from CD, even through 2 speakers.

Just me, a glass (or three) of the good stuff and some muzak... Perfect Grin

IP Logged

dh_dove

There's no substitute for cubic capacity.

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jun 12th, 2007, 10:02pm »

Tiberius
Presumably you'll be going for the carb conversion on the XJ.................. Grin
Enjoy the soun....clickd....clickd....clickd....clickd....
Best Wishes Wink
Dh Dove
IP Logged
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Jun 13th, 2007, 11:27am »

Might even rig it up to a couple of ponies, gain a couple of horses ya know Roll Eyes

Can you repeat that last line old chap, I fear you got stu...stu...stu...stuck... Smiley

Don't suppose you have a set of coils and a MAFF and cam sensor you could post me? Old cat's terribly upset lately Cry

Only asking Grin

Regards, Bruce Wink.
IP Logged

mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Jun 13th, 2007, 2:08pm »

I thought all  the   " Vinyl  is Best  "  luddites  were  safely  locked  away  in  secure  accommodation. Roll Eyes

Did  I dream it  or did  TiberiuS   say     " what  £ 3000  loudspeakers are really for "  ?

Yeah,  people with more money than sense,  that  what's for  Kiss

IP Logged
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Jun 13th, 2007, 5:29pm »

No mate, you dreamt it Wink Grin

Aye, I didn't pay £2,600 for them, got them from a studio which was closing down, got 'em for under a Grand...best £950 I ever spent, even got the boxes and manuals Roll Eyes

And I am safely locked away, what on earth do you think Essex exists for Kiss

Regards, Bruce Wink
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.