Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 8:28pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« gps and bluetooth »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   gps and bluetooth
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: gps and bluetooth  (Read 494 times)
tintin

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

gps and bluetooth
« on: Jun 3rd, 2007, 11:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

just got myself a Garmin Nuvi 310, £160. Have to say, falling in love with it. touchscreen colour display, loads of features, including handsfree calling. hooked straight up to my phone, can access the phone book etc, clear speakers/mic.

just need to find out how to get a detailed map of s. france now  Grin
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth Ultima
Spannerdemon

Email

Re: gps and bluetooth
« Reply #1 on: Jun 4th, 2007, 7:23am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Loads of them on Ebay. Just type in Garmin Nuvi 310 map. Pretty sure they are all inter compatible, but do check.
IP Logged
dogma

THE IVE NOT GOT A CLUE MONSTER

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 5th, 2007, 10:12pm »

Agree Agreebut also try the GARMIN site on the web, sometimes you can get a download onto your satnav for free, might be worht a try  Tongue
IP Logged

LIKE MY CAR, WIDE WITH BIG TYRES
tintin

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 13th, 2007, 6:45pm »

free from Garmin website = "tank" vehicle icon (no scorp)
£80 from Garmin webite = "France" map
£20 from ebay = "France" map, delivered next day !!

happy man here, cheers guys
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth Ultima
DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 15th, 2007, 3:41pm »

I'm staying away from anything SAT-NAV related, I think it will turn us (humans) into unthinking, unaware zombies!  Grin

I have driven in remote parts of Europe and the USA with sometimes only a poorly hand-drawn map and never got lost.  Even driven across the Sierra-Nevada's USA in a white-out snow storm with no map, roads being closed everywhere and no other drivers in sight for miles to assist.

Even with conventional maps I think it makes you more aware of your driving surroundings and a good navigator.

Technology is great, but it does not half make us lazy hehe.

IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 15th, 2007, 4:03pm »

Agree  Agree

I'm half and half on Sat-Navs.  Personally I too prefer maps. and a 'final' streetmap' to find the actual street I'm after, which I usually print off from Google Maps which is brilliant, and beats all the other AA and RAC route maps etc put together . You can also see a satellite image which can give you a good overall picture of where your destination is in relation to other areas.

HERE.    

Just use the scroll wheel on your mouse to enlarge/reduce, and the Map or Satellite view to see what you want to see. Really easy to use. I love it.  Smiley

My wife on the other hand, likes her SatNav. She's got the Tomtom Go510 and she loves it. Very easy to use, and "the voice" even gets her into the right traffic lane in city centres, which lets her keep her eyes on the road.

In reality, I reckon most of us travel the same routes most days, and know our own areas and nearby towns and Cities. I can see their usefulness say to somebody like a Doctor or Delivery driver who needs to find an address quickly, or where it might be a more critical issue, but I still think a lot of people buy them because they are simply the latest must have gadget!!  Wink
IP Logged
tintin

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 15th, 2007, 5:24pm »

i was actually just looking around for a handsfree kit, with a display that lets you flick through phone book etc. they are about £100 for a decent one, and this was £160 including GPS. i car share with 3 others, so am constantly ringing people to gee them out of their houses....

Having got it, i think its gonna save my life when i step into a car in Toulouse and have to find a gite in the middle of nowhere. it also finds supermarches etc, so im quite chuffed.

have always used the map option in the past, and probably will in future, but i think GPS will come in handy occassionally  Wink
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth Ultima
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 15th, 2007, 6:01pm »

Yeah, Google maps is brilliant. Would be great if they'd extend the sattelite mapping more away from London but the map view is great.  

I drive about a lot, my best friend is an A-Z and good old common sense. Sat nav is more of a fad than anything, great if you're a delivery drive or something but most people I know who have it don't drive anywhere near the amount that even I do.

Just my £0.02 Smiley
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jun 16th, 2007, 10:40am »

I cover most of the country (well, not very often the southern regions, but everywhere else) and find sat nav great for finding how to get between two unfamiliar places.  Of course, more than once it has crashed and needed reinstalling when I've been on the road and those are the days I curse it.  However I mainly use road signs or a glance at a road atlas to navigate between cities and just use the sat nav for finding the street I'm after so I can always pull into a garage and flick through an A-Z if that happens.

Mind you, the amount of people at work who have become dependant on sat nav is frightening - I've only had mine for about 2 years and can still use maps without difficulty - but what about those just passing their tests now who've got sat nav and have never had the need to learn map reading skills?

Darren
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 16th, 2007, 1:14pm »

I seriously think that the current crowd coming out of schools and "Younees" up and down the country, probably wouldn't have the intelligence to read a map Darren!! They would be just too lazy to bother.  Cheesy
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.