Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 2:23pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« pay rise »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   pay rise
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  4 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: pay rise  (Read 3441 times)
pagey

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

pay rise
« on: Jun 8th, 2007, 5:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello to all. Wondered if anyone knows the answer to this one. We've just had a pay rise at work and although certain individuals do the same job, they are paid different hourly rates,  for instance, i'll be welding a bracket and the guy in the bay next to me will be welding one as well, but he is paid the higher rate. Up 'til now, we have had equal pay. It seems as tho' qualification is not the issue but whether you get on with the guvner or not. Don't like it. By the way, we are part of an enormous group so it's not a backstreet outfit. Have been looking on the net for an answer but it all seems geared in the employers favour. Am looking for a meet with the MD next week so any "ammo" would be appreciated.
Kind regards.
Trev.   Angry
IP Logged
big_neil

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

Re: pay rise
« Reply #1 on: Jun 8th, 2007, 7:07pm »

reminds me when i used to work, i served my time for 5 yrs and done the job for 35 yrs, then some upstart arrived and said he,d done a 5 week crash course on my job and was payed the same as me. he then had the cheek to ask me many a time "what do i do now",  my answer was "get on with it smart a**e, as we worked on live underground mains cables backed up with 400amp fuses fireworks happened a lot with these upstarts. no body was seriously hurt but a few tingles were probably felt.
i suppose trev you,ll have to confront your boss and ask why the difference and then quiz him about equality, just be polite , it don,t cost owt, then ask him why....... good luck
IP Logged
TRACEYS_LIMO

I'm a YaBB newbie

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jun 8th, 2007, 10:27pm »

hi you can always ask acas for advice
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 8th, 2007, 10:42pm »

Guys, I don't want to pull this thread away from topic but here's my £0.02.

I'm looking for permanent work at the moment. I do building labouring at the moment - not the worst pay but hard work, not regular and no future. As a labourer you're pretty much at the bottom of the pile in the construction industry, nobody wants to know if you wanted to become an improver, you do the majority of the work and they get the majority of the money.  

So, I'm about a third of the way through an engineering degree, looking to get into something more skilled. Been searching for a few months now and all I can say is that nobody wants to take you on unless you've got ready made skills and experience and the salary of some of the jobs which require some kind of higher education or degree is a pittance to say the least.

Not disagreeing with you, just trying to give another perspective - I'm only 22 and believe me, if you're part of the younger generation, it doesn't mean you were born with a silver spoon between your teeth.

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
bertie

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 8th, 2007, 10:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

you may find the boss comes back with the reply that you are not supposed to talk to each other about wages. This may be in your contract under the small print.

this happened with the wife, her company were famous for bringing in new starters on or higher wage than that of the time served. They got around this with the clause.

you should see the wage scales in my occupation, civil service, there are grades, then minimum and maximum scales within that so you get the situation where someone who has been in since they were knee high to a grsshopper on a junior grade can be earning as much or near to a newbie on a management grade. so you could be earning more than the new boss !!!!

he he
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 9th, 2007, 12:13am »

If you're doing the same job for less money thats discrimination.
Give your MD a letter asking him to explain why.
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 9th, 2007, 12:55am »

Agree  

With Highlander, Discrimination, do yourself a favour, join a union and get them to bring the bosses out of the medievel times they seem to be stuck in. It could of course just be an ovesight on behalf of the management or payroll dep't.  If your company is registered as an "Investors in People" company then they should know better.  Acas should be able to advise on the matter and it is a free service and the number can be found on the Acas website.

Hope this helps...  

Pete (Unison)
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
pagey

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jun 9th, 2007, 9:20am »

Thanks for the input guys. I think a call to ACAS and then the letter asking why the discrimination. The firm went for the IIP thing but never got it 'cos when we were interviewed, nobody had a good word to say about the firm. you can see why now. Most of the workforce have been there a long time and it's not easy moving on when we're all in our middle to late 50s. To be fair, there are good points like sick pay for inst, but there's no need to be bloody minded just because you can and tee off the workforce by dividing us. By the way, when we were told individually of our new rates, some were told not to divulge the info 'cos it could mean dismissal but perhaps because I am a bit more vocal than others and can't abide any form of creeping, nothing was said. When I finished my (proper) apprenticeship in '68 it wasn't long before I found myself on the shop-stewards commitee (Boilermakers) for 8 years mainly to look after the interests of the junior members. As the years rolled on, one gradually had their card marked and eventually the door beckoned. I moved on but to be honest, i've never given any thought to the union thing because after all, a union is only as strong as its members. I'd had enough of putting myself in the front line only to find that after the ramp went down and I charged up the beach firing and throwing grenades, I would turn round and everyone had b****red off back to the ship. (apologies to Private Ryan) . Anyway thanks again guys and i''ll give it a go.
Trev.     Smiley
IP Logged
pete from Hull

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jun 9th, 2007, 9:47am »

Re: "nobody had a good word to say about the firm."

This is exactly the reason why you need the back up of a good union, a union is only as good as the strengh of it's members.  I think in this day and age there are many reasons to be in a union, if not only for the legal rep side,  (especially in my line of work) however people have become so complacent with regards to such matters (I find many are afraid of strikes etc and the thought of "feeling under threat, after the strikes of the seventies etc)  that they are reluctant to become involved... this is exactly where management wants them.  It is time for evryone to get the wake up call, (and I believe it's on it's way) and to stand up for their rights.....

Pete now steps down from the soapbox.... Grin
IP Logged

TRACEYS_LIMO

I'm a YaBB newbie

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jun 9th, 2007, 10:04am »

hi i agree that unions have a place and that we would all be working for nothing without them, but as already said its a cold and miserable place without work, I am sure that, acas is the best place to go. when I was made redundand 7 years ago, I spent months looking for work. now I work for myself and things are now starting to get to a place were its good to be. but its not a road that I would like to go down again. all the best David
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jun 9th, 2007, 10:15am »

Pagey. Read your post, and whilst I sympathise, I have a personal saying in work. "Just get on with it."  Grin

I've been made redundant a couple of times, and also given up a couple of 'impossible jobs', but as Tracey's Limo rightly says.....being UNEMPLOYED is a lonely trip!!! Believe me....nobody cares, and your BILLS will keep rolling in! Shocked  Shocked

As far as I'm concerned, what I earn has nothing to do with anyone else. I agree to work for a wage, and that's the deal. If somebody else comes along and earns more, that's their business.

I work in the West Country, and I can assure you that if you 'made waves' down here, you would be out of your job so fast that it would scare you. There are PLENTY of Poles, and Eastern Europeans who will do your job (ANY job) at the drop of a hat, and for far less money. Employers are loving it as it reduces their wage bill. A very dangerous situation to risk chucking your job up over or causing bad feelings with other employees or your Boss.  

There are also VERY FEW JOBS, so you learn to value what you've got!!  Wink

It's a lousy situation, but you either accept it, or go and work in catering. That's about the only other ' work 'down here with its 65/75 hours weeks on split shifts 9-3pm and 5-10.30pm on 6 day weeks, for peanuts.  No Bank Holiday Pay, working ALL weekends, late into the night, and having snot-nosed customers treat you like dirt. In the winter your hours are savagely cut to the point of extinction.

There's far more work in your neck of the woods, and for what it's worth, I'd just quietly and surreptitiously find another job, and move on if you are that unhappy with your current job.

ME. I go to work, get on with everybody. Always willing etc etc.  Smile (sometimes through gritted teeth), get stuck in and pick up my wedge each week, make sure the Boss knows that I'm an invaluable worker, (ha ha) and leave it at that. Makes for a far easier and less stressful life.  Smiley

IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Jun 9th, 2007, 11:11am »

There's  a few things that men  regularly lie about  to impress, the length of their  doo-dah for one ,    and how much they earn  for another.

How do you know that the guy working next to, doing the exact same job,  has a higher hourly rate  than  you ?

Did he tell you,   or are you surmising through rumour and  gossip  ?

If he did tell you, he may be fibbing   just  to cause trouble, their  are people like that in every workplace.

They make the bullets,   but don't fire the gun   Undecided
IP Logged
tintin

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Jun 9th, 2007, 11:30am »

my dad had a good bit of advice for me, never think about what other people are paid, there will always be some idiot being paid more than you. it will just eat you up.

managers have to be able to reward good work with pay rises, but a recent study quotes opinions are based 10% on quality of work, 30% on behaviour and 60% on appearance, so pay rises usually dont appear fair, and sometimes steps on the toes of discrimination.  

I suspect in your case behaviour is adversly affecting your "image". I have been a victim of this (i am also very vocal  Wink), and was nearly put on a "trial" contract for criticising management, but have learnt to "play the game". Believe me, i hate doing it (selling my soul), but now i get my way, have a team i can treat properly, and had a big pay rise this year  Grin

you should have a review process at work, so you can discuss your pay rise with your manager. my advice would be to concentrate on yourself, find out why you are not getting the "top" rise. if you can prove your quality of work is better, you need to understand what the issue is. then you can work on improving that.

hope this is not offensive, but its close to my heart at the moment,

cheers
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth Ultima
pagey

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jun 9th, 2007, 12:52pm »

Thanks again guys. Points duly noted.
Trev.
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Jun 10th, 2007, 12:01am »

Well I'm going to disagree with some of the above comments.

Certain people get higher wages for similar jobs because they perform better, get better results... do something that merits it at least.

With no disrespect intended to your job at all Trev. You are welding a bracket, skilled job but welding a bracket is welding a bracket, you either make a good job or you get fired.
The guy next to you is doing the same and up until now got the same wage so why is he now getting more?? You both must be doing them to the required standard or you wouldnt still be there.
So either he is doing more than you, doing them quicker or you are being discriminated against! (or as Mr Floppy says, he actually ISNT getting more)

Now you could accept it and say nothing as suggested but why should you??
You sound as if you have a good few years service there and employment law leans heavily towards the employee as long as you have done nothing wrong.
In fact even if you have done wrong it often leans in your favour..

eg.. I had a guy worked under me a few years back who one Friday decided he didnt like the job, handed me his keys and said he wouldnt be back.
He was due to work the weekend as part of his rota, he never appeared.
Personell Dept said he had effectively resigned by handing back his keys, saying he wouldnt be back and not turning up for the weekend.
Monday morning he strolls in for work and is sent home because he had "resigned" he turned up every morning that week and was sent home. next thing a tribunal is brought up and he won a large sum of money because the company "should have made more of an effort to contact him and coax him back"

He handed back his keys, said he wouldnt be back and failed to turn up for work the next two days!!
Now I'm old school as far as work is concerned, what the boss says goes whether you agree or not just get on with it but if I had done that I would never have expected to get back to work or win a tribunal!!

have a quiet word first, they might not even realise there is a discrepancy in the wages..
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Jun 16th, 2007, 12:03am »

My mum had been working for a certain local firm for 14 years and clawed her way up to department supervisor(?).  Last month they took on a junior assistant for her but he left after a few weeks because when my mum went away for holiday he didn't get any support or help from management (he'd only been there a few weeks and was left to run the dept.) - he quit in disgust.

Afterwards, my mum asked him what pay he was on and when she found it was about £3K more than her she hit the roof.  She put it to management as being sexual discrimination in that he had no prior experience, no supervisory responsibilities and had only just joined.

Needless to say, she's now on the same pay that guy was!

Darren

P.S.

It happened in my job too a few months ago.  I was accidentally given the pay slip for somebody who started two months before me - turned out he was on about 40% more money.  Of course they tried to downplay it by talking about differing responsibilities and attitudes, but when I asked them what I would need to do to be on the same pay they couldn't give an answer.  I'm still not on the same pay, but I've moved a few K closer!
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #16 on: Jun 16th, 2007, 10:59pm »

And here's a nice little addition to my post !!  Cheesy

This evening, just as I was finishing work, my Bosses called me over and handed me my wages. They have given me a VERY substantial pay rise for the work that I do for them, and in recognition of the hard work that I put in, supervising a very busy department for them.

So I'm a very happy fella tonight!!  Grin

Great to be appreciated.........Might buy another Scorpio!!  Grin
IP Logged
Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Jun 16th, 2007, 11:01pm »

Great news!
IP Logged

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Norway
pete from Hull

View Profile Email

« Reply #18 on: Jun 17th, 2007, 12:25am »

Grin Grin

Super news!

Well! there IS justice in the world... Well, in your workplace anyway... Roll Eyes

Glad for you
Pete
IP Logged

pat

Rover 75. Rover 620. Ford P100 Pickup.

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Jun 17th, 2007, 4:15pm »

Great news SD. Yes, go on- buy another Scorp. Personally I'd recommend a green 2.0 estate with the ABS light on......... Wink
IP Logged

You don't have to be mad to own a Scorp - but it helps!
Pages: 1 2 3  4 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.