Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 8:20pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Suprise from HMRC »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Suprise from HMRC
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Suprise from HMRC  (Read 1256 times)
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

Suprise from HMRC
« on: Jun 18th, 2007, 6:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Got a letter on Saturday because I'm registered as a "fuel producer" (which to you and me means I run my car on cooking oil!).  It says that as of the 30th June I won't need to fill in tax returns each month, neither will I have to - and get this - pay duty, as long as I 'produce' less than 2,500 litres per year.

That's assuming I've interpreted their de-minimis letter correctly.  If so, I'm well chuffed, thanks Gordon!

Darren
IP Logged
mazzy_j

View Profile

Re: Suprise from HMRC
« Reply #1 on: Jun 22nd, 2007, 9:49pm »

Yes Darren you're correct there  Smiley Gordon seems to have finally seen sense:

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.por tal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&id=HMCE_PROD1_026553&propertyType=document#P4_82

Its rumered that theres going to be a cooking oil price war between the supermarkets... hopefully!  

Matt
IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jun 24th, 2007, 11:27am »

I buy 20ltr drums of oil for about £9.99 from the local wholesaler - and because they're foodstuffs, there's no VAT added either!  Incidentally, you don't need to be trade to buy from the wholesaler I get oil from - just need to have proof of address and that you're employed.

Darren
IP Logged
mazzy_j

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jun 24th, 2007, 1:36pm »

hi Darren, hope you dont mind me asking but where abouts do you get your oil from? i usually buy the 15L plastic containers of the stuff from tesco or asda (about 8.40 per 15L) but i've ben told that the best place to go is either makro or costco but going on their sites i got the impression that its trade only so i never bothered  Sad

Matt
IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jun 24th, 2007, 7:35pm »

Makro are indeed trade only - now I use Hyperama - the nearest to you is Peterborough I believe...

Darren

P.S.

I've never seen anything bigger than 3ltr bottles at asda or tesco, and at £1.88 for 3ltrs (plus the tax until recently) it was barely worth doing.
IP Logged
dan_the_man

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jun 24th, 2007, 8:29pm »

TOP BANANA  Shocked ! I can see the second hand diesel scorpio's going up a little in value . I could even consider one myself ! I guess you go for 25 % real diesel in a tank !
IP Logged
pistonbroke

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 24th, 2007, 9:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Ok, I've got a Diesel Exec (go me!!1111!!!! Grin)

Can I really run it on fresh cooking oil without the tax numpties calling that an additive? I can't be bothered cooking up vats of chip fat and caustic soda in the garage but if I can use fresh veg oil then I want to play  Smiley

There's all kinds of inconsistent, irrelevant and useless "advice" on t'interweb. C'est la vie as they say in French speaking parts of somewhere  Undecided

Is it really possible to do this?

Dave
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 24th, 2007, 9:45pm »

My 96 Diesel estate runs on 100% filtered veggie oil straight from the local Indian takeaway. no diesel at all
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jun 26th, 2007, 6:31pm »

Pistonbroke - as of the 30th of June you will legally be able to run your car on cooking oil without having to:

a) Register as a 'fuel producer' with HMRC
b) Pay duty

This assumes of course that you won't be burning more than 2,500 litres of the stuff in any 12 month rolling period.  I suggest you visit the link mazzy_j posted and print out a copy to keep in your car though, as I expect some rozzers won't be aware of this!

And yes, you can just pour vegie oil into your tank - that's exactly what I do.  I've always used brand new stuff as even filtered I hear that used oil contains acids and salts from cooking (not sure if this is correct but I don't want to push my luck).  Also, whilst my diesel will run on 100% cooking oil, it smokes a lot and misfires when starting from cold, and pinks a little until thoroughly warmed up.  I've now reverted to 40ltrs veg/35ltrs diesel mix, though I'm going to experiment with adding a little white spirit to see if that'll help it run on higher concentrations without the side effects.

Darren
IP Logged
pistonbroke

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 27th, 2007, 7:12am »

Thanks Darren,

After all I've read searching the internet this seemed too good to be true. I'll print off all the documentation and keep it in the car - that's good advice Wink.

The main reasons I got the diesel where to have a lower running costs car for general use and to keep the wear an tear down on the beloved 24v. A fair amount of the miles I do are spent visiting customers for work when I get paid 45p/mile - if the cost of the fuel used to do those miles comes down this much then SWMBO may finally believe that I did need a second Scorpio  ROFL

And I'm saving the planet too  Roll Eyes Grin

Dave
IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jun 27th, 2007, 9:02am »

As long as you can do more than a mile on 45p then you'll be making a profit (unless you factor in the wear and tear). Don't forget that power and economy are slightly worse on cooking oil - not vastly - but about 2mpg less and 10mph off top end speed, however the engine will run smoother and with less clatter.  You'll also need to change the fuel filter and engine oil more frequently.

Darren
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Jun 27th, 2007, 1:26pm »

Mine runs better on the cooking oil Darren, no smoke at all, it was quite bad on the diesel, if you stuck your foot to the floor everything in the rear view mirror turned black Smiley
Performance wise it feels more responsive.
When I first put the cooking oil into the Discovery I never let on and my other half mentioned it was quicker and quieter the first day she used it.
IP Logged

taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jun 27th, 2007, 2:22pm »

i find that mine likes pride vegetable oil, its cholestrol free Roll Eyes, 10.50 for a 20ltr drum from my local indian grocer........ Grin
IP Logged

Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Jun 27th, 2007, 3:34pm »

Just to point out, the above link is a PROPOSAL to a change in the law, I dont think anything has changed yet so you still need to adhere to the proper procedures
IP Logged

pistonbroke

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jun 27th, 2007, 4:49pm »

There's something more substantial HERE

Dave
IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Jun 27th, 2007, 7:41pm »

on Jun 27th, 2007, 3:34pm, Highlander wrote:
Just to point out, the above link is a PROPOSAL to a change in the law, I dont think anything has changed yet so you still need to adhere to the proper procedures

Nope- the letter I received states that 30th June is the date after which small quantity producers will not have to register.  According to the website the proposal was quite some time ago and it is now being actioned.

Darren
IP Logged
pistonbroke

Email

« Reply #16 on: Jun 27th, 2007, 9:39pm »

on Jun 27th, 2007, 7:41pm, sector-9 wrote:

Nope- the letter I received states that 30th June is the date after which small quantity producers will not have to register.  According to the website the proposal was quite some time ago and it is now being actioned.

Darren

That's the only reason I went on their utterly useless and confusing site to look for a link Darren. If they'd sent you a letter then there had to be something on there.

It amazes me that "we" actually pay to be dazed and confused by "them" at all times. It's a funny old world, hey...

Dave
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Jun 27th, 2007, 10:48pm »

Well its still got three days to go until its law so its not in force yet Wink
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.