Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 8:25pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Re:Correct Words »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Re:Correct Words
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Re:Correct Words  (Read 474 times)
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

Re:Correct Words
« on: Jun 22nd, 2007, 8:04am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Advice;action=di splay;num=1143273574

With reference to the above topic to which I notice there is no reply facility, I would like to add my 2 pennuth..

As from 1st July the government has said it will be against the law to smoke in public places, I welcome this legislation wholeheartedly and consider that the addition of an extention should be made, That of SWEARING or the use of expletives in public.

I don't see the point of swearing and consider it just brings the perpetrator down to a very low level.

The reason I think that it is a popular passtime or indeed a necessity with some people is that people are of the impression that it "makes one look Big, Cool or matcho etc."

It tends to have the oposite effect on me.

Just imagine if everyone suddenly gave the practice up, it would open up new horizons in the way communication was used.

once again, just my thoughts, (and practices)

What d'ya think.....

Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

Re: Re:Correct Words
« Reply #1 on: Jun 22nd, 2007, 8:23am »

Agree pete,
There is very little annoys me more than being out somewhere with my wife and daughter and people swearing openly within earshot.
Got to admit I am probably a bit old fasioned where this is concerned, If I am stood at a bar with mates (no family) swearing doesnt realy bother me.
But in public places its a different matter.
IP Logged
wayne

2l 16v Ultima

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 22nd, 2007, 10:10am »

I’m not championing swearing., There is a time and a place for it.  In front of women and children it is totally inappropriate., as is within the earshot of the general public.  
But when you’re in the company of like minded adults who aren’t offended by it, what difference does it make? And to whom?
When I hit my thumb with a hammer, ‘sugar’ is not the first word that comes to mind.  
You’re not telling me that when some lout runs a key down both sides of your Scorpio a few times, you’re going to call him a ‘misunderstood individual’.  

In a recent post, I made a perfectly legitimate reference to…the place where a pilot sits… You know, begins with C, ends in pit.  It was censored and replaced with the word “thingy”. It made the post look like it was written by a …. well let’s say someone not quite as literate.  

I agree with the rules of censorship endorsed on this site, it makes for a pleasant amble around, but on the whole, let’s keep things in context, before we start lining people up against the wall…  
IP Logged

TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 22nd, 2007, 11:30am »

Pete, while I agree with the jist of what you say, I don't really get your point.

R.e smoking, the new legislation is barmy. I'm not a smoker, never touched it but it doesn't bother me if someone wants to light up in public, I couldn't care less whether it's tobacco, spliff or even dynamite, as long as they don't touch me I couldn't care less. IMO all this ranting by the anti-smoking brigade is because a lot of them are ex-smokers themselves and doubt their own will power if surrounded by smokers in a closed room; the other side of it is just another step torwards a controlled Orwellian style police type state, sinister adverts telling us what we mustn't do and threatening us with a heavy fine etc. No, I'm no conspiracy theorist, just a normal Joe who finds this situation barmy.

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 22nd, 2007, 11:43am »

On topic, regarding the censorship, this site is the best, most friendly one I know of. If it means a bit of over-censorship (some of the words it blots out are hilarious) then so be it. I never knew it was so sociably unacceptable to drive a car with a thingypit, have a collection of spoons or own a thingyrel, even for the eggs. Of course, spoons are unacceptable if your name happens to be Chris Tarrant Roll Eyes

I didn't even know p (double o) n was lude, perhaps I should have a binge on Google Lips Sealed

But if that's what it takes to keep the forum clean then it's fine by me, this is the best forum just to have a rant or a knatter or come for advice and I hope it can stay that way. Some forums are just a shambles.

My uncle grew up in Hackney in the old days and knew some great Jewish slang and swear words, never ever had to resort to uncouth 4 letter ones Grin

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
ferretmobile

2.3 saloon S reg & all the toys. mmmm toys

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jun 22nd, 2007, 3:23pm »

Hi guys, This thread has rather interesred me. I teach in a college of further education and the student cohort come mainly from the london postcode areas. The language that I hear ALL day long from the students, is foul, insulting and often threatning. I will not put up with foul language in front of women, often by women.
Quite apart from the fact that using offensive language in public or language that could cause offence to others transgresses the public order act (section five) and such an offence is an arrestable offence by an officer of the law, does not deteer these young people one jot.
I am not a prude...I am an ex-matalot and in my time have (amongst my shipmates) used every word and combinations and phrases possibly some that you dear reader have never heard of or tried physicaly Shocked
BUT...the yoof of today have NO respect for others let alone their peers or their lecturers. When I say yoof, I am making the distinction between the young people of today who give a d**n and those who dont. Unfortunatly, I teach yoof. This disrespect knows no creed or culture and comes in many guises and of both sexes. Some use foul language to impress their chums, others (we) have identified use this form of communication as part of their normal vocabulary and when challenged are gobsmacked that they have been chalenged!....more so, we of a certain age (over 40 lets say) have become invisible!! . That they were not talking to you, seems to be the issue, they actually talk through you and therefore, why are you offended?
I think that today, the genie is out of the bottle. There will be no going back and I can only summise that (it) will only get worse. I love the English language, it has such a rich history and is constantly changing with the influx of new cultures. There is NO excuse for using foul language in mixed compoany or in public, I am constantly challenging people who swear within my earshot, the memsahib tells me that it will raise my blood pressure and one day, I might find a knife between my ribs. But, I have my standards and live by them. Why should I compromise? I try and instill this into others...and some fell on stony ground, well quite a lot actually. But the main teaching ethos is ...today I might change one mind.  

Oh yes, I smoke...so what.
If you where presented with some of my little darlings....
you would soon develop a 50 a day habit I assure you.
I am going out to roll me a fag while it is still legal to do so. Yes it is a draconian state, but challenges the wrong things. I may be some time.
IP Logged
mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jun 22nd, 2007, 4:16pm »

Interesting stuff! I agree wholeheartedly that swearing in public is out of order and yes, rather old fashioned of me but in front of women and children (who lets face it are (were?) the backbone on moral standards to keep us guys in line) is totally wrong. In relation to ferretmobile's comments, what troubles me is that the yoof of today don't even see it as wrong and if they were challenged they would simply say "wots da problem?" They genuinely don't see the offence! So to some extent they are innocent if they don't know its a problem. We have our own generation (as parents etc.) to blame I'm afraid. But there is more to it than that........last week I saw a program about police and driving offences etc. Many times during the program you could here yoofs swearing at the police but they did nothing about it. Thus the yoof think it is acceptable. When was the last time you heard of anyone being charged for swearing or dropping litter? My philosphy is that if you concentrate on the little crimes, the big crimes are less likely to happen. But, these days the little things are ignored on the pretence that it serves to 'gell' with the public and not over-react so as to cause disharmony with the police and communities. Actually it just leads to disregard and disrespect. An actual experience I had was when the local town had their annual carnival parade. The streets had not been closed as yet and traffic was still passing through yet the crowds were gathering and it was dark. Along comes a lad on a daft bicycle and virtually runs over a policeman's foot on the pavement and with no lights. I went to the policeman and said the lad poses a danger and why had he not done anything about it? The policeman simply said that I should stop trying to cause trouble! I calmly debated the point that the law is not selective and should be enforced. I stated that whilst I didin't expect him to arrest the lad, he could of at least give him a talking to. At this point I was threatened with arrest!
IP Logged
ferretmobile

2.3 saloon S reg & all the toys. mmmm toys

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jun 23rd, 2007, 10:19am »

Me again, my collegues and I, used to challenge our student cohort when we caught them dropping litter or spitting, not only outside the college buildings but also inside! Can you believe this!...spitting inside the corridors. This is not about respect but disrespect. The problem of yoof challenging what is decent civilised acceptable behavoir is now so bad that staff at the college have given up, in the main. We have not become complacent but tired of yoof pushing the envelope to the extreem. If when we do make a challenge, we are often met with a barrage of abuse and invective...its not good for the blood pressure you know!
God help us when this smoking ban comes into force on July 1st. Like all staff who smoke at the moment, we shall have to consider giving it up. But challenge the students...no no no we might hurt their feelings
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.