Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 9:29pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« ROVER 75 »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   ROVER 75
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: ROVER 75  (Read 1504 times)
v4-max aka Cheekyboy1

focus cc  mk3 mondeo 2.0 auto cbx750 vt600

View Profile Email

ROVER 75
« on: Jul 20th, 2007, 10:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

anyone had any experience with one of these?
IP Logged
pistonbroke

Email

Re: ROVER 75
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20th, 2007, 10:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Jul 20th, 2007, 10:00pm, v4-max aka Cheekyboy1 wrote:
anyone had any experience with one of these?

Yup. Blown a few away leaving the booth on the M6 toll and the Dartford crossing Grin

Anything else?  ROFL

Dave
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 20th, 2007, 11:42pm »

Anything I've heard about them has been positive. Tempting at the prices the local dealers were asking last year, sat in one and it was looverly Grin. Insurance is low for someone my age too (I think about a IG15 for the 2.5, compared to 19 for the Jag). Only thing which put me off was the top model AFAIK only has 175 horses, I'm no boy racer but like a little more under my right foot Lips Sealed Wink

Beautifully styled though, the interior could give any Jag a run for its money. My humble opinion is that in time they'll become a collectors item, something like the last true Rover (ok, they were owned by BMW for a time but back in British hands when it was built).

I've heard more than once that they're more of an upmarket Mondeo than a Scorpio/Jag type of car...probably more of a top end 3 Series, X bordering on S-Type sort of thing, not as big as the Scorpio.

Not sure about parts but the chap over the road bought a 25 for his girlfriend, he says there's no trouble getitng spares for that.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
PeteB

2.0 16v Ultima Saloon RIP \ 2.5 TD Ultima Saloon

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 21st, 2007, 8:20am »

A friend of mine had the 1.9 td on a v plate its more or less an old shape 3 series beemer (well they did design it!) the td being a bmw engine chain driven. You can find plenty of info on the rover mg forums, his version was the High Line Model with sat nav his is the uber top one! Very nice ride and if you get a pre 2001  model you get all the extra badging plus true wood dash Smiley

Regards
IP Logged

scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 21st, 2007, 10:53am »

hi there

ask baz about his!! Shocked Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jul 21st, 2007, 11:25am »

Mine was a dog!! I owned two (well technically the business did but you know what I mean!!) W228MDB and W229MDB mine was the 228 one and it spent more time in the garage than the bloke who worked there did. Just about everything that could go wrong with mine did

They were both the conoisseur SE models and both diesels.  229 eneded up with a busted clutch after 20,000 miles and it took 4 months to get the parts.... so much so we got a cheque back from BMW finance to cover the period we never had the car!

looked good in pictures though....

IP Logged
jg

We are all manufacturers, Making good, Making trou

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: Jul 21st, 2007, 4:41pm »

I have never liked them, don't know why, just don't. But saying that, I have a few mates (Yes, I do, OH NO you don't, OH, YES, I do) who love them. one of them is at 250k mark and still going on the same running gear, but he has had it from new.
IP Logged

To Let, or not to let, that is the question.
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jul 23rd, 2007, 1:10pm »

i nearly collected one this morning with my bus along trinity road.......... Grin
IP Logged

cossiejamie

Fitted a 12v rad to my 24v

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jul 23rd, 2007, 2:34pm »

My workmate has the conoissue diesel about a 51/52 reg. Loads of trouble with the clucth master/slave cylinder. It went on him and the place by spaghetti junction (not a rover dealer) put 6 of them in as the kept going on it sometimes same day! Cost £600. Ended up getting his money back and going somewhere in coventry, it ruined something else (cant remember what) total bill £1200.
But he loves it. His mileage was about 80k

Jamie
IP Logged

That`s scorpio`s for ya!
dh_dove

There's no substitute for cubic capacity.

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jul 24th, 2007, 7:45pm »

Hi All

Ashamed to say that last year when Libby wanted to change her Mk 3 Granny Cossy I tried to persuade her to have a 2.5 V6 Rover 75............
Answer "I dont think so I want a Scorpio Cossy"........
Answer
"Your wish is my command".......  Kiss
Scorpio Cossie Ultima coming up........ Grin
DH Dove
IP Logged
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Jul 26th, 2007, 1:37am »

Yup Tib, shut yer mouth Lips Sealed

Used to like 'em, think I'll stick to the Jag or the Scorp now Wink

Now you say it I can see some 3 Series in there Cry
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
shaun

shaun

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Aug 7th, 2007, 9:41pm »

my old gaffer had one went bang after 20k new engine fitted all was well , till he was taking me to see a job in walsall ,then it court fire on the m6 ,i jumped out b4 he stoped on the hard sholder ,the fire man said we have put a fue of thees out latley lol ,,ive never been in one since Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
IP Logged

[IMG]http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc140/shau
SCORPY_NEWBY

Scorpless but still an admirer!

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Aug 10th, 2007, 9:28pm »

My outlaws have had 2 of them, One 2.0 petrol which was absolutely fine until the missus drove it into the wall at the end of the driveway, Not pretty! (the accident not the missus, but then again...) And they now have a diesel auto which is a complete turd! Pieces of plastic interior trim coming off all over the shop, chrome door handle surrounds, sill trims, plastic wood trim, etc, etc. The rear ash tray wont stay in and every time you slam the bonnett the airbag light comes on! Roll Eyes. I wouldn't have one of these if you payed me!!!
IP Logged
v4-max aka Cheekyboy1

focus cc  mk3 mondeo 2.0 auto cbx750 vt600

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Aug 10th, 2007, 9:36pm »

ok i get the point. idea scrapped, xjr it is then. please dont put me off this one.
IP Logged
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Aug 10th, 2007, 9:37pm »

parts for the rovers are getting expensive now that the company has gone. nice car but id only have a 75, and a top spec one at that. the leather interiours in them are top quality. if i had to have one over my scorp there would only be one that id have, the special mustang v8 powered one!

its funny really, to keep the costs down rover agreed to keep all the ford and mustang badging/detailing on the engine. i though of trying to get my hands on one just for that lump, can anyone else see a mustang v8 powered scorp all of a sudden  Wink Wink Wink
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
SCORPY_NEWBY

Scorpless but still an admirer!

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Aug 10th, 2007, 10:02pm »

Hmmm! Sweet!!!!
IP Logged
dh_dove

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Aug 18th, 2007, 4:46pm »

V4- Max

Good Choice, an XJ-R will suit you fine........

I would go for an X-300 AJ16 Straight six if I were you.

Much cheaper and a better engine to boot, (or bonnet if you prefer it that way)

Good Hunting
DH Dove
IP Logged
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Aug 18th, 2007, 7:33pm »

Yeah. AJ-16 engined XJ is the one to go for, bulletproof engine, most reliable car Jag built, cheap as chips now. Still get between 26-30mpg out of mine, albeit mostly quiet roads. Tonnes of low end torque, lay into the loud pedal and it can make quite a pace, even without the supercharger on board. Standard models are comfortable, Sport and R have the double ARB and stiffened damper setup.

Had mine for 9 months now, all it's cost me are a throttle body clean, new oil and filters etc. Most of which are just general maintenance for a 12 year old car.

I loved my Scorp but I wouldn't swap back now (maybe as a second runabout if I had the money Roll Eyes, my next one is an R or a Daimler Super V8.
IP Logged

dh_dove

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Aug 21st, 2007, 8:02pm »

Tiberius

At he risk of poaching members, are you aware that the Jaguar Enthusiasts Club has recently started an X-300 Forum............they are looking for enthusiasts just like you to get it on it's way............

You do however need to join the JEC to take part.

Best Wishes
DH Dove
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.