Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 12:33am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Jury Service »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Jury Service
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Jury Service  (Read 1910 times)
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Jury Service
« on: Jul 26th, 2007, 1:32am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Guess what I got through the letter box this morning ?

Yep...a Jury Summons  Roll Eyes...what are the chances ?...probably about the same as winning a substantial amount of cash on the lottery. I'd rather have the latter  Wink

Does anyone know a good way to get out of it that doesn't involve bare faced lies or breaking the law ?  Roll Eyes

Nice innit....I've never been convicted of a criminal offence in my life & then all of a sudden I get a menacing jury summons informing me that if I don't attend or have good reason not to attend, then it's going to be me up in front of the judge & getting a £1000 fine  Huh

It's bloody inconvenient to expect someone to re-arrange their work & family life to fit around a two week "important public duty"  Angry

Personally for me, it means I'm not going to be able to take my little boy (with my wife) to his first day at nursery school & that is something I really was looking forward to  Sad

Angry
 Angry
 Angry

Why do we still have this draconian & out dated method of jury selection ?

Surely in this day & age, then a more appropriate & convenient system of selection can be thought up, rather than randomly picking joe public out of a hat as it were Huh

I'm sure there are thousands of people who would gladly volunteer their time to want to sit on a jury, but are never selected.

Instead we have people like me, forced to do something that we don't want to do & have no interest whatsoever in getting involved in the legal system of this country.

But I suppose, being an obviously upstanding & decent member of society  Roll Eyes, then I'm obliged to take part in this modern day version of national conscription whether I like it or not  Angry

So all you hoodies, joy riders, burglars, muggers, junkies, dole cheats, vandals & any other low life that might be out there....Jonnycab is on the jury soon & compassion is a word that is not in my vocabulary  Angry...... Grin

P.S....They don't pay alot & I've got to get a proof of earnings from my accountant just so I can claim loss of earnings up to £59 per day  Huh.....looks like I'm gonna be moonlighting in the evenings  Wink
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

Re: Jury Service
« Reply #1 on: Jul 26th, 2007, 6:12am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

If it's any consolation buddy.....I've been called twice.

First was a guy who'd been glassed in a pub in Leeds, and lost an eye as a result.

Sent the guy who'd done it down for 8 years.

Second was an Arson job.   6 Years.

Like you say, the pay for it is lousy, and YES there  is a way round it.

You can have it deferred ( thought that's what they did to kettles)  Grin   and serve it at a later time....but you WILL be called again. Best thing is to talk to them, as they aren't totally inflexible these days.

At least it would let you see your lad off to school.  Smiley

When you DO get there...........and you will................I agree with your sentiments!!!  Grin
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 26th, 2007, 9:57am »

Just go and sit there in a Bhurka moaning that you don't want to be there....put your ipod on and listen to music.... get thrown off the jury and then don't get charged with contempt of court!! Its true I tell you, just check out the papers... quick and easy way to get off jury service with no charges because the powers that be don't think that the lady in question committed contempt

Try making that one up!
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 26th, 2007, 12:48pm »

it is a very important public service, one which you should carry out giving your full attention.
we all want fair trials and trial by jury is probably the best way, how else would you want the judicial system to work? peoples fate decided behind closed doors?

we all moan about the 'youth of today', the crime rate etc etc, then you get the chance to be a contributor in our judicial system and you still moan, tut tut, shame on you.

anyway, i never found a way out of it so i cant see why you should get off...... Roll Eyes
IP Logged

fordnut

im Big im Grumpy but im very nice

windlkev
View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 26th, 2007, 4:39pm »

I had to do mine a few years ago it was a three week rape case.On one hand i knew i had to do my duty but on the other hand it made me sick seeing and hearing all the evidence with both parties watching you is something i dont want to go through again EVER.But i did get a genrous compensation package ie work,petrol,lunch.My wife got out of dury service due to the fact she worked in the prison service but other than that im pretty sure you cant get out of it..
IP Logged

i never apologise.I'm sorry but thats the way i am
john.n

I love my cossie

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 26th, 2007, 6:19pm »

You could try saying that you dont feel you can give a impartial opinon as you are not happy with the current judicial system-i am not. However on the bright side at least you will be sitting in a dry (hopefully) courtroom and getting paid (very poorly) for it. john.n Undecided
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jul 26th, 2007, 7:50pm »

I suppose that there realy is no way of getting out of it, short of leaving the country for good...hmmm  Roll Eyes

I'm not going to try & defer it as I'd probably get another date that is just as inconvenient....probably on my 40th birthday later this year  Huh

So I'll get it over & done with now, do my best to be impartial & hopefully that will be the end of it  Smiley

Spanners, my brother in law has also been called twice, in the space of two & a half years  Shocked....he's currently doing his second term  Smiley
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 26th, 2007, 9:00pm »

Just rewards for being such an outstanding citizen  Grin
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jul 27th, 2007, 8:06am »

I did jury service about 25 years ago.
The case was a bit of a punch-up in a pub which dragged on for about a week.
It was an interesting experience.

Got called again in 1998 but got it deferred as on the date I was due to start I would have been out of the country on a work secondment in Germany.
Haven't been called again since.

IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jul 27th, 2007, 1:00pm »

jonny, if there's anything in your life that you might've had a chance to do but havent because its illegal, then you're already a contributor to the judicial system in this country.

i spose really i should apologise for my earlier post as (after re reading it) it was rather personal in its direction at one person. it was in fact just a point i was making in general about how people moan about crime etc then when they get a chance to be part of it and see how it works they try and avoid it.

i actually found jury service facinating and absolutely frightening at how some jurors could easily be swayed.
it was also a short working day, normally finished by 3.30...... Grin
IP Logged

Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jul 27th, 2007, 1:03pm »

It's okay mate...I've deleted my last two posts anyway, as I've decided that I'm not going to whinge about this subject any more  Wink
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jul 27th, 2007, 1:06pm »

nah put em back up, then when we've finished we can move on to religion... Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jul 27th, 2007, 1:24pm »

on Jul 27th, 2007, 1:06pm, taliban aka Cheekyboy2 wrote:
nah put em back up, then when we've finished we can move on to religion... Roll Eyes

Relgion ?....haven't we already covered that one ?  Wink
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Jul 27th, 2007, 5:46pm »

post removed by forum admin.

please read your pm's.
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jul 27th, 2007, 8:53pm »

Quote:
The case was a bit of a punch-up in a pub which dragged on for about a week.

WOW...................That's some punch up Mike !!   ROFL  ROFL  ROFL  ROFL  ROFL  ROFL
IP Logged
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Jul 27th, 2007, 9:02pm »

D'oh!
I meant the case dragged on for a week, not the punch-up...but I'm sure you realised that !

Nice gag though  Grin
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #16 on: Jul 27th, 2007, 9:11pm »

ROFL  Grin  ROFL Grin
IP Logged
TRACEYS_LIMO

I'm a YaBB newbie

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Jul 29th, 2007, 10:02pm »

mike are you sure it was 25 years ago you dont look old enough  Grin
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Sep 9th, 2007, 4:26am »

"Very important public duty completed m'lud"........ "nice to meet you your honour, but must dash"... Grin

Honestly though, I'll have to admit, I quite enjoyed it  Smiley.....  

......It wasn't at all what I expected & it was a nice break from the monotonous daily grind of taxi driving.....

.....Instead of picking the scum up, I found myself locking the scum up  Cheesy

And it wasn't two weeks of sitting around doing crosswords & waiting to be called.....got picked the first day for a case that went on all week & then on the following Monday was picked for another trial which lasted for that whole week....so I've been quite busy condemning scumbags for a fortnight  Grin

First week was a handbag snatch...simple enough case, but the defence kept asking for the jury to be dismissed for the day so he could argue 'points of law' Huh....don't know why, we still found him guilty in the end  Wink

Second week was something slightly more serious & to be honest, was the vilest thing I've ever had to listen to in my entire life & for as long as I live, would never want to sit through again  Sad

A step-father that molested his step-daughter at least twice a week for 6 years, from the age of 9 to 15 Cry.....the evidence against him was overwhelming, the prosecution ripped him to shreads & even his own defence lawyer didn't seem to want to try & defend his lies....

....but the guilty on all counts verdict was not unanimous....11-1  Huh

One juror refused to find him guilty because he said, 'in his mind' there was no evidence  Huh....I think he must have had brain damage or summat....he wasn't the sharpest tool in the box  Tongue

Anyway, the judge accepted the majority verdict & sentenced the guy the same afternoon.........15 years......of beatings from other inmates  Wink.....probably be out in 7 though  Huh

I know I moaned & groaned about being summoned for jury service when I started this post, but I'm now a changed man  Cheesy......I am now convinced, that the random selection of jurors from all walks of life is the best way to get an impartial & un-biased view of both the prosecution & defence's arguements in a court of law  Smiley

I look forward to being randomly selected again, so I can have a hand in purging society of scum  Wink....& I reckon it's a possibilty. From talking to other jurors who've done it more than once (one guy was on his forth jury service), I reckon you are more likely to be randomly selected if you've done it before than if you've never done it  Roll Eyes

P.S.....Taliban...you were right mate....I was given the opportunity to lock up a couple of low lifes & it felt good to know that I was doing my bit in helping to keep society decent......  Wink
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Sep 9th, 2007, 9:19am »

You going professional then Jonny?? Wink

Scotland use the majority vote for a conviction, either we have more common sense or more nutters  Grin
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.