Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 11:19pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« In-car sound upgrade »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   In-car sound upgrade
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: In-car sound upgrade  (Read 1097 times)
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

In-car sound upgrade
« on: Aug 19th, 2007, 12:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi guys, need some advice and as always this is the best place to come Smiley

Thinking about upgrading the sound system in the Jag. At the moment it's got a 6" mid/bass driver in each door and 4 tweeters - two on the top of the dash and two on the rear parcel shelf...8 speakers total, system is branded Alpine. Not a bad system, good low end almost like there's a sub fitted but it bottoms out fairly easily and the drivers could be better. I'm no bass head but I like my sounds, aiming for more slam and depth from the low end rather than loudness.

Basically I'm looking for a good set of 6" mid bass drivers to go in the doors and maybe a set of tweeters (they look about 15-20mm). It means a lot to me to keep the car looking stock so the original head unit (4 x 25w Undecided) has to stay although I might upgrade the amp later on.

I can do the audio stuff no problem but never done a car install before, what are the best 6" drivers and tweeters to go for?

TIA Grin

Regards, Bruce Smiley
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

Re: In-car sound upgrade
« Reply #1 on: Aug 19th, 2007, 2:07pm »

on Aug 19th, 2007, 12:26pm, TiberiuS wrote:
what are the best 6" drivers and tweeters to go for?

If people could actually answer that,  world peace would be a simple task  Grin

My personal preference is the Infinity Kappa series. Love the clarity of sound, and isn't bad at all when it comes to bass. If you want to sacrifice a bit of clarity for bass, some of the higher end JBL kit may be just perfect. I have JBL speakers in the house (2x 6" bass, 4" mid, 1" tweeter) and they have a fairly balanced sound without bottoming out quickly.

these should probably fit (I have the 4" version in the scorp, and they sound great)

list of JBL component systems
IP Logged

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Norway
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 19th, 2007, 3:35pm »

Top man Wink

Nah, clarity over bass for me, I was thinking about Infinity.

Something tells me this won't be cheap Grin

Other problem is the doors tend to resonate, I guess just the foam sound insulation drying with age. Anything I can stuff the door cards with to add a bit 'more' air volume or is it just good old fashioned glass fibre?

Cheers Smiley
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
SCORPY_NEWBY

Scorpless but still an admirer!

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 19th, 2007, 5:00pm »

For resonation i usually use Dynamat to replace old sound deadening, and it may sound silly but the best thing I've found to stuff in door cards is the stuffing from teddy bears (hope the missus doesn't read this or she'll find out why all the little uns bears have gone walkies). Go on, have a good old toy massacre! It'll make you feel fantastic!! Grin
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.