Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 12:33am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Everyone thinks I am MAD, »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Everyone thinks I am MAD,
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Everyone thinks I am MAD,  (Read 1795 times)
scorpio197

FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily or Found On Rubish Dump

sdavid376
View Profile

Everyone thinks I am MAD,
« on: Aug 19th, 2007, 8:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi all ,got two new sills yesterday from my local FMD for my scorpio.Almost £180 ,all my work mates think I am mad and should get a car thats easier to look after and costs less for parts .I just tell them each to his own ,and I just love my scorpio .Does anyone else get told to scrap there scorp and get another car .It would be nice to know I am not alone ,or is it just envy when they see the sleek lines/style and equipment level there is in just a basic scorp never mind the high level cossies , What do you guys think ?
IP Logged
TRACEYS_LIMO

I'm a YaBB newbie

View Profile

Re: Everyone thinks I am MAD,
« Reply #1 on: Aug 19th, 2007, 9:07pm »

just smile that will shut them up Smiley one chap called my car ugly i told him so was he that shut him up Grin
IP Logged
SCORPY_NEWBY

Scorpless but still an admirer!

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 19th, 2007, 9:20pm »

My mates came up with stuff like that when i first got my ultima, until i took them for a ride. They couldn't believe the level of comfort and equipment. So many people don't know what the're missing.My car gets  respect from my mates nowadays Cool
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 20th, 2007, 1:17am »

I've never had a bad word said about my  Scorp,   only  positive  comments from MOT testers and  other  mechanics  who have had the honour  of driving  him/her/it .

( never quite sure if my Scorp  is   a  he,  she  or  an    " it "  )
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Aug 20th, 2007, 10:06am »

After my lastest escapade of parts replacement.....rear springs & discs/pads......, I was asked by a collegue if I was actually secretly rebuilding the car & not just keeping it to MOT standard  Grin

Two taxi MOT tests & one normal MOT test every year, & it's not failed on a single thing yet. Even other taxis half the Scorps age, regulary fail the tests.

It's all a matter of regular maintenance & servicing, which are things I never skimp on....if it's broke, I fix it....if it ain't broke, then it needs further investigation  Wink.... Grin
IP Logged
merseyscorp

98 manual 2.3Ghia saloon

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Aug 20th, 2007, 12:47pm »

My local ford dealer who look after my car think mines good. They reckon they enjoy working on it when it goes in for service etc because its different from working on focus, fiesta, fusion, etc and there is only one other local scorp known to me. However, I took the fine machine for a part worn 205/55/ 16 last week to be told that there was none in stock and that I should just put a bit of air in it, sell it to some other mug & buy the tyre-shop owners ford cougar, W reg ( which is very nice, I must add  Lips Sealed ) for the princely sum of £4,500!  Shocked  Bit steep I thought, so I drove away.  

Finally another incident, was when a business associate of the missus came round to ours. He walked up the driveway, seen the scorp sitting there and said to the missus " wow a scorpio!, how nice. Is it your fathers car!!!!!Huh?" For crying out loud I'm half her Fathers age!!!!Image problem maybe?  Undecided
IP Logged

Shall not be defeated!
pat

Rover 75. Rover 620. Ford P100 Pickup.

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 21st, 2007, 10:49pm »

My mate raved over 'Er Indoors' 2.9 when he drove it back from the auctions. He's an amateur dealer and at the time was running a Merc!
He took it for its' MOT last week and is still drooling over it.
It actually looks a bit of a heap but appearances can be deceptive!   Wink
IP Logged

You don't have to be mad to own a Scorp - but it helps!
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Aug 22nd, 2007, 5:15pm »

The old girl sailed straight through another council (taxi) MOT today, just after a 3 year old Focus estate failed  Cool

Tester commented that he couldn't find a single thing wrong with it & said that I must have a very good & thorough mechanic..

...With wide eyes & an insane grin, I replied..."Apart from the new diff pinion seal & flange, it's all my own work"......

..... Deep laughter filled the air "HA HA HA HA...." as my deep blue leather clad chariot dissapeared into the misty back streets of old Brentwood town .........  Shocked

Okay, I'll admit, that's not quite what happened....although he did say it was a nice motor  Grin
IP Logged
Alastair

2.3 Ghia X & MGB Roadster

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Aug 22nd, 2007, 6:58pm »

Nice one JC. Doesn't change the fact though that we are all mad.

Alastair
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 22nd, 2007, 8:03pm »

Johnny, dont you have maximum age limits for taxi's down there?

There is a slight variation up here depending on the district but I think most Scorpios would be struggling to meet them now.

IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

merseyscorp

98 manual 2.3Ghia saloon

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Aug 23rd, 2007, 12:28am »

I used to be on a sefton/merseyside private hire plate taxi, a 98 Mondeo ghia. I don't have the room to explain how amazing this car was, but anyway, that was borderline to the age limit. I think it's 8/9 years maximum up here. I don't believe in age restrictions at all. We have age restrictions for subsidised bus services up here also of 16years. Ridiculous considering there's vehicles over 25 in far better condition. Point is, if they're mantained to council standards, then whats the problem? Huh  

People musn't know they're born when your cab rolls up johnny Wink Don't know how lucky they are!!!
IP Logged

Shall not be defeated!
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Aug 23rd, 2007, 3:32am »

Hi Stuart....the answer is no, Brentwood has no maximum age limit for it's licensed vehicles as long as they meet the standards & requirements set by the council  Smiley

There are quite a few councils who adopt this way of licensing vehicles. Just because it's a few years old, doesn't mean it's no longer a decent car....& the Scorpio is definately a decent car  Wink

London Taxi's have no age limit, even though most old ones are now being sold off because of mad Kens new emissions targets....a few are now licenced up in Brentwood, the oldest being a 'J' reg.

Merseyscorp, you're right...if a vehicle meets the standard & criteria set by the licensing authority, then age shouldn't really be an issue, & I've never had any complaints from anyone about the age of my Scorp....& there are currently 3 other Scorp taxis licensed in Brentwood as well  Cool

But to be honest, I doubt I would buy a Mondeo/Vectra etc of the same age & use it for a taxi (even though a few other drivers have them). They just don't have the build quality & longevity that the Scorpio has.

There are a few licensing areas that have age limits for vehicles, but also have a longer age limit for vehicles that are considered more up-market, purely because they have a better quality build & tend to outlast the average 'family' saloon.

These are cars like the Scorp, Omega, Merc, BMW, Lexus etc which are considered to be more of a limousine than a family car, so therefore have a longer service life  Smiley

The last Taxi I had was a 2001 2.0 Zetec new shape Mondeo. I had it for 18 months & it was nothing compared to the 2.0 Ghia Scorp I had before it. So I sold it & bought my current 2.3 Ultima which is 3 times the car that the Mondeo was.....it's bigger, smoother, more comfortable, it's not full of cheap rattling plastic & although the Scorp may be slightly less economical (not by much though), it's just a far superior car in everyway  Wink
IP Logged
big_neil

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Aug 23rd, 2007, 1:46pm »

my mate has just spent £35,550 on a second hand merc S320 CDI,he says he wishes he had never bought it as the seating is awful and wants a car as comfy as my ultima, i said he can buy mine for the same price or do a straight swop(i,ll chance being stung). there,s nowt like a good offer is there?
IP Logged
pat

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Aug 23rd, 2007, 2:24pm »

Careful, Neil. It sounds a bit over - generous to me.  ROFL
IP Logged

Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Aug 23rd, 2007, 4:33pm »

If I had £35,550 to spend on a car I'd buy a Scorpio and keep the rest  Grin
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Aug 23rd, 2007, 6:25pm »

Personally,  I think it's mad to spend  £35 000  on   ANY  car,  new or old . Undecided
IP Logged
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Aug 23rd, 2007, 7:24pm »

on Aug 23rd, 2007, 6:25pm, mr._floppy wrote:
Personally,  I think it's mad to spend  £35 000  on   ANY  car,  new or old . Undecided

Agree
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
Alastair

2.3 Ghia X & MGB Roadster

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Aug 23rd, 2007, 7:43pm »

I agree with Mr. Floppy and Scorpio Mike. In fact I'm not sure I would do a straight swop for the 2.3, but then on second thoughts what colour is the Merc. ?

Alastair
IP Logged
pat

View Profile Email

« Reply #18 on: Aug 23rd, 2007, 8:30pm »

ROFL
£35000 for a car. £21000 more than I paid for my house!
Mind you, my eldest daughter and her business partner run identical Maseratis. God knows how much they are - I daren't ask. But there again I don't really want to know.
How mad can you get?
IP Logged

Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:34pm »

They're free  Grin they'll be tax deductable Smiley
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.