Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 12:33am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« read these stats. you,ll be astounded, i was!!! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   read these stats. you,ll be astounded, i was!!!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: read these stats. you,ll be astounded, i was!!!  (Read 1685 times)
big_neil

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

read these stats. you,ll be astounded, i was!!!
« on: Sep 2nd, 2007, 11:08am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

taken from the cumberland news ,sat 1st sep.
last weekend police officers from cumbria and dumfries and galloway mounted a high visible presence on the so called "cumberland gap" the A74 (less than five miles of the only piece of road between london and glasgow that isn,t motorway) targeting the younger drivers between ages 17 to 25where according to them,  one in three fatal collisions involves a driver under the age of 25.
these results amazed me .
over the course of the weekend  officers detected,,,,,,
541, speeding drivers
6, drink drivers
8 drivers reported for dangerous driving, two of which recieved warnings that if they were caught driving in a similar manner during the next twelve months their vehicles would be seized by the police.
24 drivers caught using mobile phones.
26 people reported for not wearing a seat belt.
38 drivers reported for other offences such as defective tyres, lights and documentation offences.
for just one weekend these figures are astonishing and how many other drivers are doing the same thing and not being caught?
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

Re: read these stats. you,ll be astounded, i was!!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 2nd, 2007, 11:39am »

But think of all the money they will generate from this exercise.....

If only they could mount the same sort of operation against burglary or criminal damage or vandalism!?
IP Logged
big_neil

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 2nd, 2007, 12:05pm »

i,m with you on that baz, motorists are easy, criminals are too much bother!
IP Logged
bertie

Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 2nd, 2007, 12:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

so how many villians were committing other crimes like shooting, mugging, burglary etc whilst the boys in blue were concentrating on the motorists on this stretch of road ?

Oh yes, that's right, we have the community support officers now instead of the real police, which according to local reports, have not made a 'collar' in 12 months of being in the job. No parking tickets, nothing. So what use are these people?

With the ever decreasing presence of the traffic police, have you noticed how many people are changing the digits on their number plates to read silly things like names etc, some very blatant. And who's going to stop them, a speed camera?

Simon
IP Logged
pat

Rover 75. Rover 620. Ford P100 Pickup.

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 2nd, 2007, 6:31pm »

Don't start me off on that one, Simon.
Some years ago, when they announced that regulations were tightening up on spacing reg. letters, I had a Bedford minibus YRR 1Y. For a Roller owner:- Y  RR1   Y. Overnight it was worthless(or should have been). Sold the van to a man who was strangely uninterested in examining/road testing etc. and readily handed over the modest asking price.
He no doubt sold the reg. at a lot more than he paid for the van and years after, the law is still not enforced.  Angry
IP Logged

You don't have to be mad to own a Scorp - but it helps!
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 2nd, 2007, 6:35pm »

But they should not get through the MOT if the registration palte is NOT of the sign shapoe etc as in The Construction and use regs ......!

BUT they DO !
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
big_neil

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 2nd, 2007, 7:13pm »

snoopy, i help do MOT,S most sat mornings and my mate will not pass a car with funny plates,so these cars come in with a normal plate fitted and pass the test, when opening the boots and checking the floor for corrosion all of these cars carry their funny plate in the boot  and when they leave the mot stn they then fix these illegal plates back on. he takes a pic if any look dodgy just to cover himself when the ministry get at him for passing these cars. it happens every time.
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 3rd, 2007, 12:34am »

Heres another one along similar lines, i know a guy with an old Ford who has a set of wheels and tyres in the garage which are only used forthe MOT then off they come and go back in the garage for another year!!
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 3rd, 2007, 12:41am »

on Sep 2nd, 2007, 11:08am, big_neil wrote:

541, speeding drivers
6, drink drivers
8 drivers reported for dangerous driving, two of which recieved warnings that if they were caught driving in a similar manner during the next twelve months their vehicles would be seized by the police.
24 drivers caught using mobile phones.
26 people reported for not wearing a seat belt.
38 drivers reported for other offences such as defective tyres, lights and documentation offences.
for just one weekend these figures are astonishing and how many other drivers are doing the same thing and not being caught?

Motorists are only easy targets if they break the law, which every one of the above did. If we dont do it they cant catch us Wink

If anyones ever been along the A550 going into North Wales they have a permanent 24hr Automatic Number Plate Recognition unit in operation with anything up to 6 traffic cars in attendance at any one time. Theres always at least two cars been pulled over every time i pass so I assume there are a high percentage of road users flashing up as not fully legal.

I got pulled over the first time I went through it as my insurance had only been taken out the previous day and hadnt yet been entered into the system.
The ANPR system checks Insurance/road tax/mot and any vehicle markers in 0.3 of a second  Shocked
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Baz

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Sep 3rd, 2007, 9:22am »

on Sep 3rd, 2007, 12:41am, Highlander wrote:

Motorists are only easy targets if they break the law, which every one of the above did. If we dont do it they cant catch us Wink

That may well be true; however the publics perception (which no doubt bears out in fact somewhere) is that the police only seem to target motorists in this way. Most forces (especially Cheshire where I live) would not dream of committing the same resources to catching vandals and anti-social behaviour which no doubt would prevent an awful lot of more serious crimes if it were nipped in the bud early enough.

The Police really do need to be seen to be tackling this yob culture otherwise someone else will start doing it for them!!
IP Logged
SCORPY_NEWBY

Scorpless but still an admirer!

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Sep 3rd, 2007, 9:46am »

Going back to the number plates for a sec. How do all those jap imports get away with the odd sized plates with illegal letter sizing and spacing?? I know the number plate recesses are different for japanese plates but shouldn't our laws apply to them once there over here? Huh
IP Logged
Baz

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Sep 3rd, 2007, 10:57am »

All plates should follow the legal UK standards for both the letter/number sizes and also the size of the plates etc. How many modern cars do you see with black and silver number plates? These are only supposed to be displayed on pre-1972 cars but there are at least half a dozen new chavmobiles in Warrington which have them.!
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Sep 3rd, 2007, 12:30pm »

No-one's mentioned the huge number of those caught speeding .

I suspect there's many    drivers who consider   exceeding     the speed limit  

as  not really breaking the Law  at all.  

A wee bit of fun  that's  all,  I can handle  it I'm a good driver . Undecided
IP Logged
merseyscorp

98 manual 2.3Ghia saloon

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Sep 4th, 2007, 12:39am »

Highlander, The camera on the A550 into N.wales is for all the dodgy scousers going to rhyl for their holidays in dodgy cars!  Grin

As for the ANPR system, that is a joke. I put my personal registration plate ( which is legal I might add  Wink ) in october last year and it had been on retention for four years. The last vehicle was destroyed by fire four years ago also. Since having the plate on the scorp, I have been pulled 4 times. On all occasions they have told me I am driving around in a car that is down as scrapped. Truth is according to the APNR the scorp is a corsa!! I said your system is out of date. Eventually after many visits to police stations and hours of discussion, I'm still a free man and the scorp is still on the road and legal!  

I agree with the rest of you... motorists are easy, even if you aren't doing anything wrong.
IP Logged

Shall not be defeated!
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Sep 4th, 2007, 7:09am »

Merseyscorp, Write and complain to DVLA about that. Its the fact that they are not updating the database crrectly that causes that . I had a similar situation a couple of years ago on a standard plate Stopped several times for having no tax by ANPR wrote to dvla and complained giving them tax details etc and V5C details got a letter of apology from them, and explanation that for some reason the car had been listed as untaxed since jan of that year! Just some one NOT doing what they are paid to do. Should have asked for compensation really !
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
kittman

Fibreglass at its best

View Profile WWW

« Reply #15 on: Sep 4th, 2007, 11:39pm »

They have ANPR cameras on all major routes around birmingham aswell {mate of mine works for the police}
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Sep 5th, 2007, 1:02am »

A lot of the petrol stations around here (BP mainly) have ANPR cameras as well & the pump won't start until the camera has checked that your number plate is legal........

....doesn't help car crime much though.....they still recognise a recently stolen car as being legal, so the thief fills up & drives off without paying...... Roll Eyes

Fat lot of good that is ?  Huh
IP Logged
dh_dove

There's no substitute for cubic capacity.

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Sep 5th, 2007, 7:07pm »

Re all above

Jeepers

1984 arrives 23 years late. Angry

DH Dove
IP Logged
whit2k

2.9 Est Ultima

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Sep 5th, 2007, 9:36pm »

on Sep 3rd, 2007, 9:22am, Baz wrote:

The Police really do need to be seen to be tackling this yob culture otherwise someone else will start doing it for them!!

now we're talking ..........  Wink
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Sep 6th, 2007, 12:07am »

on Sep 5th, 2007, 7:07pm, dh_dove wrote:
Re all above

Jeepers

1984 arrives 23 years late. Angry

DH Dove

Wow...Orwell was only out by a quarter of a century  Undecided.......probably more accurate that Nostradamas ever was though...., I suppose  Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.