Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 12:33am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 14 years in the making »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   14 years in the making
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 14 years in the making  (Read 734 times)
bertie

Email

14 years in the making
« on: Sep 12th, 2007, 4:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Can I introduce you to Bill, a 1986 Rover 2600 VDP auto. Bought new by my elderly neighbour brand new in 1987 hence the E reg.  

Bill, the neighbour sadly died in 1991 and the Rover passed to me on 11,ooo miles. I ran it for 2 years as my 2nd car then took it off the road to do some cosmetic repairs, the same old story !! the Rover never came back out of the garage. Due to family commitments and buying a house etc, the Rover stayed in the garage but was brought out on sunny days to be washed and polished.  

When I read about Rimmer Bros importing all the Rover spares, it seemed a great idea to bring the Rover out and restore/replace parts as needed. So, after a huge spares list, a kid in a sweet shop comes to mind, I recieved from Rimmers a huge box full of goodies and the repairs commenced.  

Luckily there was no major bodywork to do, apart from a nasty dent in the bonnet, it was all mechanical, so every night after work in the garage cleaning, painting and fitting went on. At Rimmer prices, it was false economy not to replace all the nuts & bolts, clips etc.  

And on Monday Bill went for the MOT test, the 1st time out on the road for 14 years !!! The tester and all the mechanics gathered round and all said 'when was the last time you saw 1 of these on the road' and there was nothing to test as it was all new !! hee hee. IT PASSED !  

So it is now taxed and tested and will be the high days and sun days car. Restricted mileage insurance.  

And he drives like a dream.........fully polly bushed, new alloys/tyres and braided brake hoses to name but a few parts replaced.  

So next item on the agenda is to fit the side mouldings once I have sprayed them satin black. The chrome strips look ok so just a case of masking it off 1st. And I will repair the bottom corners of both front doors where there is some surface bubbling. I can blow the paint up to the moulding lines.  

But 1st, just drive it and enjoy it.  

IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

Re: 14 years in the making
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12th, 2007, 7:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Brings back the memories, remember the police version?? Wink

Nice looking motor Simon  Grin
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Sep 14th, 2007, 1:24am »

I always liked that shape Rover & almost bought one a few years back, but decided to save my wonga for a decent MK1 Granny  Smiley

Sorry, did I not mention that I've got a MK1 Granny everyone  Cheesy.......big yawn from all site members  Roll Eyes...... ROFL

It's just a shame that it doesn't have that fabulous V8 in it....that would top it off nicely  Cheesy

Anyway, it does look in lovely condition & it's a great looking car  Wink

Happy cruising  Smiley
IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 14th, 2007, 10:34pm »

Niiiicceeeeee  Cool Cool Cool
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
whit2k

2.9 Est Ultima

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Sep 15th, 2007, 7:23am »

Very Nice mate Smiley ........ had a 2600 VDP meself  Smiley.......... sadly it suffered from a problem in as much as the cam belt went  Sad...... bent valves . Sad....... and from then on....... it just kept happening . Sad...... i think i changed the heads in the end  Smiley...... only to have it happen again ........ Sad  

SUPERB to drive ....... just keep an eye on the cambelt .......... its worth early replacement rather than lots of work  

and always make sure you say its an SD1 ... not and SDi
IP Logged
merseyscorp

98 manual 2.3Ghia saloon

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Sep 25th, 2007, 9:39pm »

My word! what a MONSTER! Well done on that! Bet the reg plate is worth a few bob?
IP Logged

Shall not be defeated!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.