Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 12:35am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Gimmicks »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Gimmicks
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Gimmicks  (Read 802 times)
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

Gimmicks
« on: Sep 30th, 2007, 9:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all,was mooching about on e-bay and came across something called a "Turbonator".It is a tubular piece of stainless steel with fins inside it & promises a lot in terms of performance & economy improvements,sooooo...i had a look at there web site (Turbonator . com) & it makes interesting reading  Roll EyesWas just wondering if anyone has any experiance / oppinions on this miracle deviceHuh I also had a quick look at these electrick "superchargers" Which throw out about 2psi boost (as they describe it ),but with the 12v engine having 2x air intakes,i think an extra 4psi going into a standard compression engine is asking for trouble  Grin Grin So what do you think Huh Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Lord...Sometimes im not that bright
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

Re: Gimmicks
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30th, 2007, 10:29pm »

Speaking from real experience - when I fitted a turbocharger to my XR3 about 23 years ago ( OMG that WAS a long time ago ! ) - it ran a 7lb boost and had an intercooler and a modified distributor with a 'retard-on-boost' thing which works opposite to 'vacuum advance' - and it STILL used to pink when driven hard - and that was with the CR lowered to about 8:1 - acheived by skimming the pistons a few thou.

Yes, I did the whole thing myself - bought a kit from my local FMD ( Much against the advice of the parts dept. manager who insisted the kit was for professional workshop installation only ) and fitted it all during my 2 week summer holiday.  

Took it down to the FMD when I'd finished it and needless to say they were quite impressed as no-one else had done a DIY install. Car went like some smelly stuff off a shovel.

Had already cleared the install with my insurance company but they did want an engineers report - they said get the person who installed it to do the report so when I explained I had done it myself they just said - OK, do the report yourself !
I just sent them a copy of the installation manual I got with the kit and they were happy with that.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Sep 30th, 2007, 10:33pm »

i havent even looked at the items or the site, but i would suggest its all bo**ox. i take it the 'turbonator' is supposed to boost and smooth fuel flow? fuel being a specific mixture of petrol and air, or rather oxygen.....hmmmm, useless unless you gas flow the head, then the effect of gas flowing itself evens and smooths the flow.
lets face it, car, motorbike, engine manufacturers/developers plough billions into research every decade so if some small time inventor has chanced upon something great then they'd be selling it to mr. honda or general motors for a small fortune, not selling it on ebay for a few quid....
IP Logged

Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Oct 1st, 2007, 1:06am »

There is no such thing as a cheap product that can make your Scorp go faster.

The only way is to have it chipped  Wink

These things don't make a blind bit of difference to the running of a modern car with fuel injection etc....even older classic cars don't seem to benefit from these kind of products either  Huh

I bought one of these (see below) for my Scorp a couple of years back & was almost convinced that it made a difference. But once I'd realised that I'd been taken for a mug & been ripped off by this company then it was removed from the car.....

I didn't chuck it in the bin though....I'm keeping it for evidence, for when I take them to court  Wink

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-DESIGN-FUEL-CAT-IN-LINE-CATALYST-UNIT-NE W_W0QQitemZ260163535929QQihZ016QQcategoryZ43120QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
IP Logged
merseyscorp

98 manual 2.3Ghia saloon

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Oct 1st, 2007, 1:09am »

Turbonator? Wasn't 'delboy' trying to sell those on an episode of 'only fools & horses'? ( crash helmets for motorcycle users who are followers of the sikh faith)  Grin Sorry, couldn't resist. You wont see me on here again. Lips Sealed
IP Logged

Shall not be defeated!
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Oct 1st, 2007, 1:20am »

Wel there you have it.That has pretty much confirmed what i thought anyway,but it,s always nice to get other like minded peoples opinions.It does make you wonder how these people get away with it though,miracle products indeed Angry Angry
IP Logged

LiverpaulH

My bird!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Oct 1st, 2007, 3:07pm »

Why oh why would anyone consider buying a product such as this, time and again you see things like these in life. If the deal is to good to be true it probably is. All it is is another conman trying to make a quick buck, and by the look at his feedback a fair few have sussed that out whereas others believe the product has worked!

Paul
IP Logged

Still hankering after a new scorpio- Aus BA Falcon, 5 years later and I still love it!
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Oct 1st, 2007, 4:07pm »

The turbonator doesn't look particularly high-tech  Roll Eyes....http://www.turbonator.com/index.html

I bet you could probably make one from a piece of aluminium & a pair of tin snips.....probable cost ? - about 50 pence  Wink

P.S.....wasn't the Turbonator the Indian doctor that Del Boy & Rodders sold some dodgy paint to ?  ROFL
IP Logged
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Oct 1st, 2007, 5:42pm »

I,ve been doing a bit of digging around on some U.S. forums & it seems that the turbonator is as we suspected.....Total rubbish.(not supprising really).Yes jonny,that was the doctor  Grin Grin
IP Logged

merseyscorp

98 manual 2.3Ghia saloon

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Oct 2nd, 2007, 12:53am »

Doctor Jahan, to be precise! and the paint........ Battleship grey. British quality& class. Cool
IP Logged

Shall not be defeated!
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 7:30pm »

Look at it this way.... if they were any good, they would be fitted as standard to Ferraris, mercs, BMW's et al!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.