Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 7th, 2024, 12:20am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« this makes me very angry »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   this makes me very angry
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: this makes me very angry  (Read 2938 times)
big_neil

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

this makes me very angry
« on: Jan 18th, 2008, 7:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

apparently the An event in London! fund is in dire need of topping up again after another mismanaged funding(this is endless).the national lottery is being raided for another £675 million to pay for the 2012 games and my county, cumbria is being shortchanged to the tune of £18 million to assist in this funding. This equates to £35 for every person in the country. as they are taking this money from my county i wonder if they would also like to take the new nuclear waste depository site that is to be built at drigg and site it somewhere like westminister or maybe below downing street, that would go down well wouldn,t it. apparently the national lottery dream number was supposed to be funding the games but so few people were doing it that the main fund is plundered to finance it now , it beggars belief that the lottery fund can afford this amount but it obviously can and just makes you wonder how much money the lottery actually makes and where it all ends up, now we know where most of it is going down, country to the capital or into camelots coffers.
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re: this makes me very angry
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18th, 2008, 9:31pm »

firstly, welcome to the enforced world of 2012 An event in London!s, im so glad you've joined in to help out, for the past couple of years (since we won hosting the games) londoners have footed the whole bill so its good to have others contribute.
secondly, dont have a go at the lottery, its got naff all to do with the lottery, why should the lottery or any organisation bail out a failed government idea.......
IP Logged

TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 18th, 2008, 9:53pm »

Tali, I lived in London all my life until 4 years ago. And I don't like paying for it either, the phrase 'Jobs for the boys' comes to mind Roll Eyes

I'm 23, pay all my taxes, don't sponge anything from the system and all I ever get is either lumbered with more taxes and a higher cost of living for no good reason or some soft, out of touch patsy telling me I need to do this or that or I'll cause global warming unless I go all eco and start paying more taxes etc...  

The An event in London!s won't do anything for London or Londoners (Millenium Dome, anyone? Roll Eyes), the extra funding won't make an iota of difference to the lives of the people who live below the poverty line in the slums surrounding Stratford in East London where the main venue is being built or indeed anyone else in the UK who becomes forced to contribute. It's just another grand scheme for a few more pampered individuals to become filthy rich Undecided  

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jan 18th, 2008, 10:14pm »

quite agree tibs, i remember a comedian (forgotten who) who lives in london stating when we won the bid he just put his head in his hands and said 'christ, what have we done'
IP Logged

merseyscorp

98 manual 2.3Ghia saloon

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jan 19th, 2008, 1:10am »

Slightly off topic, but a similar thing is happening up here in Liverpool with 'capital of Vulture sorry culture'.
20Million shortfall & guess who's paying for itHuh

For the record I don't agree with other districts being shortchanged either.
All these 'schemes' An event in London!s etc, seem to be only for big wigs trying to boost their personal C.V's. Those responsible for all these 'shortfalls' should be brought to task.
IP Logged

Shall not be defeated!
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jan 19th, 2008, 9:44am »

On a similar theme, in the past 10 years the Government 'tax take' has doubled - you are left asking where has all the money gone ? Huh Huh Huh
Still got long NHS waiting lists, roads in a dreadful state of repair, standards falling in education...I could go on....  
Wish my income had doubled in 10 yrs  Cry
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
pagey

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jan 20th, 2008, 10:28am »

Why don't we look at the countries that won medals at the last turnout, buy some more, award them the medals, tell them to p*** off and then we wont be robbed to fund a crazy idea that not many people really give a toss about except the little ugly bloke that runs London.
Makes me rather vexed as well Angry
Trev.
IP Logged
welshwoofs

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jan 20th, 2008, 10:44am »

Newbie here... but had to chime in as the An event in London!s are one of my pet hates.

Greece has been crippled with the debt of the games they held after budgets spiralled out of control (sounds familiar hey) and we'll be the same.

What will the An event in London!s give us? Sod all. It won't enhance the lives of people living out in that area and I'll take a bet that after the fiasco is over the site will rot for a few years before being sold off for next to nothing to a corporation. Meanwhile every working person in the country will have been forced to pay for yet another mismanaged event run by a bunch of idiots (how can ANYONE on a project this big forget to include VAT in budget projectionsHuh).

I, unlike many, actually do feel that the London 2012 logo will represent our games as it's amateur, over-priced, completely inappropriate, a mess and only has impact upon the pocket.
IP Logged
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jan 20th, 2008, 11:29am »

Yeah...that logo... Embarassed
Obviously designed by a committee...just wonder what they were smokin' at the time... Wink
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
joe-satch

joe satriani is the best guitarist in the world.

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jan 20th, 2008, 6:20pm »

hi,just to add a comment,the moment it was anounced that london had won the venue for the 2012 games,i think the whole country knew it was going to cost us all a hell of a lot of cash,and it just dont matter where the cash comes from...so long as it rolls in..personaly i dont give a dam for the games...i for one dont want it held here.. Angry.
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jan 20th, 2008, 8:21pm »

personally i do think its all a shame really, the An event in London!s and athletics dont interest me much at all, but obviously it matters lots to athletes who spend their lives training for it, and kids who dream about being a part of it, then politicians, money men etc etc just ruin it by turning it into a cash pit (cash cow for some), political weapon etc etc.....i love the idea of staging the An event in London!s but everything that goes with it.....
IP Logged

big_neil

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 20th, 2008, 9:23pm »

if the lottery can afford that much think what it could do for the NHS.cancer relief, bh foundation ,hospices the list is endless(btw tali i dont do the lottery any more for these reasons , but they get me other ways as do you all )
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jan 20th, 2008, 11:49pm »

the thing is though Neil why should it? when it was formed it was not to be used for such things, to use it for such would be bailing out any government from their responsibilities to our health care that we have already paid for....
IP Logged

big_neil

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 21st, 2008, 9:05pm »

i agree with you tali but some of the causes that benefit are ludicrous.
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Jan 21st, 2008, 11:02pm »

Simple solution to the ills of the Labour Government?

Vote Tory next time.!!
IP Logged
scruffygyt

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Jan 21st, 2008, 11:08pm »

their no different to labour.           vote UKIP next time
IP Logged

98 24v ultima (facelift) now sold & missing it
merseyscorp

98 manual 2.3Ghia saloon

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 1:06am »

They've got a lot to answer for the torys. However, I do think they have a good chance to get in, especially round here (everyone knows what we thinks of torys  Grin) Labour have had 10 years to fix tory wrong doing & still haven't come good. I think some ( a lot) of people thought the grass was greener when 'New Labour' come in to power.
IP Logged

Shall not be defeated!
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 2:38am »

As someone who has no interest in politics at all (I have only voted once in my 38 years when I was 18 just for the novelty) it looks to me like neither Labour or the Torys do a great job of things and never have...

Things certainly do seem to be getting more and more ridiculous by the day, with the UK seemingly totally focussed on helping drug addicts, illegal immigrants, people who CHOOSE not to work, criminals.. you name it, the worse you are the more you get and we're spending an absolute FORTUNE on all this..

I for one would like to see a "fairer" system, if you're in jail you get food, water, shelter, warmth, made to work for nothing and thats it! no SKY telly, snooker tables, saunas etc... wheres the deterrent there??

Same with the unemployed and the rapidly increasing number on disability benefits... yes you will be housed, fed, clothed, etc BUT you will NOT be able to afford mobile phones, SKY, huge tv's, CARS!! or any of lifes luxurys, you will NOT be better off not working, not even close!

I appreciate there ARE genuine cases but there are huge numbers of people living very comfortably in nice houses with nice cars who will just not work! I know loads of them and i'm sure you do too..

Now before the politically correct start jumping up and down here, I am NOT and never will be a racist (well I dont like you English much but thats allowed) Wink

But a friend of mine in the Glasgow area recently when trying to get his 5 year old into a school found out that the TWO nearest schools did NOT use English as the teaching language!!(no the first language wasnt Gaelic either)
I find that incredible that we even allow that to happen..  

"English is the second language among children in 1,300 British schools"

" It is estimated that the cost of educating a non-English speaking pupil could be as much as £30,000 a year.

This compares with £4,000 for a primary school child whose mother tongue is English"

Its costing us a FORTUNE!! not only that but we are churning out thousands of people who live here and cant speak English and never will!!

Now when having this same discussion recently I was given a manifesto from a UK political party (edited so as not to show which party) and asked to read it and see what I thought..
After reading it through thoroughly I said if even 10% of what they promise were to come true I would vote for them in the next election!  
They seem to have the "back to the real world" mentality.

Now when I found out WHICH party it was I was shocked, probably because of ignorance and the preconceived ideas I had about them all being Doc Marten toting racist Skinheads, yes it was the British National Party but go have a read at the manifesto, read it all and read it with an open mind.  
They are not (as I always assumed) solely hell bent on removing every ethnic minority from the UK

yes it may well be all hot air but its hot air in the right direction as far as i'm concerned and it may just be enough to gain this vote in the next election..

http://www.bnp.org.uk/pdf_files/minimanifesto2007.pdf

food for thought indeed

IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #18 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 2:46am »

Sorry didnt realise that post was as long Smiley
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

scruffygyt

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 8:52am »

well said that man!
IP Logged

98 24v ultima (facelift) now sold & missing it
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.