Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 8:25pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 24v into Capri? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   24v into Capri?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 24v into Capri?  (Read 1284 times)
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

24v into Capri?
« on: Mar 13th, 2008, 1:21am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm dead curious about this, been toying with it for a while.

For those who don't know (Wink) I'm ressurecting a 1982 Capri Ghia, 2.0 auto. I'm faced with a cosmetically good car which has sat for 12 years so needs a lot of mechanics just ot get it running, the last time it was started/moved was May 1998; brakes are seized solid, wiring is shot, engine turns with a spanner but is pretty stiff. The engine is original with 50k on it, had a full recon in November 1990 @ 39k but I guess that means nothing after all these years Undecided

The Pinto lump is ok, has some charm and very simple. but it's barely got 100 horses and then it's got to drive a 3 speed slushbox. I could maybe drop in a 2.3 or a 24v, a stock Capri weighs just shy of 1100kg, a lot less than a Scorpio...go figure. 24v is a nice lump and although I think I prefer the 2.3 in the Scorp, 200 horses + of V6 grunt in a Capri would be fun I think.

So on one hand I'm tempted to get hold of a good engine/gearbox/ECU and try a conversion, I have the 'space' and don't mind getting my hands dirty, if it needs a large amount of welding/fabrication to get the shell to take a new engine though it might pose a problem though, maybe just easier to stick with what's there..

On the other hand it's an original car and getting quite rare now in that trim/condition, the responsible side of me says I should restore it stock for what would cost peanuts in comparison to what an engine swap would cost and just enjoy the car for what it has rather than what I'd like it to have..

Also it means a lot to me to keep it looking stock on the outside, which means even the 185/70 R13 alloys have to stay, could 185 profile tyres even take 200 horses? Grin. I could maybe squeeze even 130-140 horses from the Pinto which given the Capri's weight wouldn't be bad, if it was even as brisk as the Scorpio I could certainly live with it Wink

Any thoughts guys?

Regards, Bruce Smiley
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

Re: 24v into Capri?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13th, 2008, 6:27am »

I would stick with the stock configuration and have a nice genuine car at the end of it.  But then again I am a bit of a stick in the mud.....

I ran a 1974 Wartburg for 13 years, I once toyed with the idea of plonking a golf engine in it like what VW had done when they took over the factory..... I didn't bother but I did rebuild the original 2 stroke 3 cyl engine..... Man I loved that car, wish I'd kept it..... Angry

hth
pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 13th, 2008, 9:06am »

A friend of mine runs a supercharged BOA 2.9 24V cossie in a  Capri   Grin First road test it fractured the drive shaft and blown the gearbox  Grin

Here's his topic (in Romanian)lots of pictures and 27 pages Grin
IP Logged

2.0 16V Ultima|2.3 16V Ghia|2.9 24V Cosworth Ghia
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Mar 13th, 2008, 10:19am »

If you want the 'easy' option then it has to be the 2.8i Cologne V6 - 160bhp and all the bits available from either Granada, Capri or Sierra.
Shouldn't take more than a weekend  Grin
You can always ( twin ) turbo it if you want more power  Shocked
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 15th, 2008, 1:23am »

The Cologne is a d**n good point Roll Eyes

But I really liked the Essex in the 3.0 Ghia we had, although the 2.8 would have more power admitted..

I guess really it deserves to be rebuilt stock, the 2.0 seems to be better regarded than the 1.6 and does have more torque than power (yes, we had a Capri 1.6L once and it was gutless Roll Eyes)

I admit I'm becoming very tempted by the 2.8 now, at least it's an original Capri engine Wink
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Mar 15th, 2008, 10:32pm »

I had a Mk1 Capri with the 1600 crossflow engine in Roman Bronze, would not pull the skin of a rice pudding but was great fun and my third car Imp > Maxi and then the Capri so I really felt that I was getting somewhere (but slowly)  Grin

One of my mates at that time bought a white Mk 1 capri with a zip in the headlining and a Zakspeed 3.2 cologne v6 it was an ex city of Salford traffic car. On the dual carriageway between Nottingham and Derby in 78 we had a bit of a dice with a Triumph Stag who in the process appeared to lose the bulk of his engine out of his exhaust pipe.

Absolutely amazing but a bit of a wayward back end. Knew a few folk that had massive shunts in mk 1 Capri s, weight distribution was a bit strange.

IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
pinto

TD04 on a galaxy manifold ? whooooooosh !

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 17th, 2008, 10:27pm »

Both the 2300 and the 24V BOB from the scorp have the same major problem when considering a retro install -

PATS.

This weekend, I collected a nicely rebuilt BOB 24V to go in my 90' Saph GLSi, but im fully expecting to fit an aftermarket ECU (Megasquirt II) to make it run.  

To make your life easier, you'll be looking for and earlier BOA engined granada scorpio with the earlier, simpler EEC IV system.  Im told (tho i've yet to be shown) its simply swap everything from a donor car in and fit 6 wires....
IP Logged
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 19th, 2008, 12:11am »

Hmm, PATS is another thing I never thought of Undecided

Looms are no problem, the wiring's shot so it needs a total rewire anyway.  

I did some reading and some people say that the Pinto loses 20 horses on unleaded, that sounds like quite a lot of power to lose though Huh.

100 horses minus 20 gives barely any more than a 1.6 and our 1.6LS was pretty gutless

If I kept the original diff, the gearing would be quite low so it would be quite torquey, the downside being a V6 which is scraming its nuts off doing 4000rpm at 70mph with the fuel mileage side effect of that..

So I could add a 5 speed/pedal box to that, would a C3 auto even mate up with the 2.8 engine..

I guess it all depends really if the Pinto would run with just a change of fluids, hoses etc or whether it's seized up in the damp garage and would need a rebuild, at least if it would run as-is without major work I could run it around for a while and see how it drove, whether it could keep up with the Jag etc Roll Eyes.

185 profile tyres, short geared non-LSD diff on a V6 engine...maybe this needs a rethink Roll Eyes

Thanks for the input guys, anything more welcome Wink
IP Logged

Stixy

I should know better

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Mar 19th, 2008, 9:34am »

Have a look here for aa few other ideas

http://www.zyworld.com/caprisport/

If it was me i would be looking at a Sierra 2.0 Dohc engine  Grin  

IP Logged
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Mar 19th, 2008, 10:57am »

2.8 Cologne can be had in either injected or carb form - which you might find easier as you would not then need to change the petrol tank and fuel pipes ( Injected needs a return pipe, electric pump, more wiring ). Carb 2.8 still pumps out around 135BHP I think.
Diff ratio can be changed quite simply.
C3 autobox from a 2.8 Granada should also fit fine - easier to find than the 5-speed manual box which from my experience with the XR4i can have problems with bearings wearing out which gives some interesting sounds ! This would also save you from swapping the pedal box, brake master cylinder and having to install a clutch cable and pedal.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
TRACEYS_LIMO

I'm a YaBB newbie

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Mar 19th, 2008, 6:24pm »

hi how about doing some work on the 2.0 lump having drove the 3.0 gt the 2.8 and the 1600 the problem is not really top speed but getting the wheels to stop spinning when pulling away, and going around corners Sad. good luck any way Smiley
IP Logged
TRACEYS_LIMO

I'm a YaBB newbie

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Mar 19th, 2008, 6:28pm »

by the way the the 3.0 gt was awesome, i test drove it for a mate. he had to change his cloths after, he never got in any car with me again unless he drove Grin Grin Grin
IP Logged
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 20th, 2008, 1:02am »

We had a 3.0 Ghia, very nice Wink. Plenty of rust and wasn't too keen on starting on cold mornings but made some nice noises, old cars had so much more character.

Looks like it's between a 2.8 and the dear old pinto then, all depends how far gone it is once I drill out the other rear hub, finish clobbering the remains of the (seized) brake shoes out of the drum and get it into the open so I can see what I'm doing. Deep down I'd love to convert it to manual but the auto stays I think, hence toying with a 6 banger with more low end torque. Adding extra lines etc for injection wouldn't be a problem.

I'm not after a supercar, just something more driveable on modern roads, with a bit more power (and brakes that actually work Grin) to compare to more modern cars. The Jag will do the dash to 60 in the mid 7 seconds and that's more than fast enough for me, if the Capri was even halfway between that and the Mondeo then I'd be more than happy.  

As in my earlier post, in an ideal world the 13" rims stay, autobox stays, comfort suspension stays...I think I'm onto a loser here if I wanted to turn it into a performance car..

No idea where the money will come from but this should be a fun project for the summer Wink
IP Logged

pinto

TD04 on a galaxy manifold ? whooooooosh !

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Mar 21st, 2008, 8:58am »

on Mar 19th, 2008, 9:34am, Stixy wrote:

If it was me i would be looking at a Sierra 2.0 Dohc engine  Grin  

Agree

Hey Stix Smiley nice to see ya over here Smiley

Thats another consideration - the 8V 2.0 DOHC head bolts onto the 2300 block with a few mods and it allows you to run the earlier EEC IV management too Smiley

Power figures are great too (around 170bhp with v6 torque if fast road cams are fitted)

Have a poke around on the FSOC and look in the projects section - Jim "The Crust" Christie carried out this very conversion Smiley
IP Logged
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Mar 21st, 2008, 3:03pm »

If it were me i would stick with the 2.0l pinto for the sake of easy maintenance & reliability.I would however be looking at swapping the carb to a pair of twin side draughts (or mega rare twin 38 downdraughts ...if you can find some ! ).Getting a good tuned length 4-2-1 manifold & 2 1/4" exhaust system.If you are sticking with the c3 trans maybe fit a 1600 diff.With the carbs & manifold / exhaust You should be looking at around 115-120 bhp.Couple this with a 1600 diff & it should be more than capable keeping up with modern traffic.As for loosing power on 95 unleaded !!! Use super unleaded (98 octain) or V max (99).HTH
IP Logged

Lord...Sometimes im not that bright
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.