Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 8:19pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Aldi - bargain of the day »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Aldi - bargain of the day
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Aldi - bargain of the day  (Read 1271 times)
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Aldi - bargain of the day
« on: Apr 16th, 2008, 1:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

If anyone needs an air compressor, then get yourslf down to Aldi pronto....while stocks last  Wink

2.5 HP, 24 litre compressor with 10 piece accessory kit ( air brush, pro spray gun, blow gun, gravity feed gun, long nozzle sprayer, jet blast washer gun, tyre inflater, 5M & 10M hoses & 7 pc inflator/deflator kit) & 3 year warantee.

How much.....£69.99  Shocked......now that's what I call a bargain  Cheesy

Bought one today  Wink....... Not tried it out yet, but the accessory kit alone has got to worth at least £50  Smiley

Specs & info are here.....

http://www.omegawolf.co.uk/powercraft/Compressor%202.5HP%20Manual.pdf

Comes in manly blue though & not girlie yellow  Grin
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

Re: Aldi - bargain of the day
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16th, 2008, 1:19pm »

jonnycab.
Bargain of the day ? I reckon it's the bargain of the century ! I nipped down and got one,needs PCL couplings but that's no trouble.My old compressor sounds like a Harley Davidson,this one sounds like a Yamaha,and holds pressure well while in use.Thanks for the tip off.
       GOZZ
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 16th, 2008, 3:25pm »

On/Off switches a little prone to breaking .. be careful with them ... otherwise god value but as they carry a 3 year unimited warranty MUST be a good buy
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 16th, 2008, 7:51pm »

Aldi in Colchester have 3 left...well they only have 2 now, I went over and picked one up this afternoon Roll Eyes

Been thinking about one of these for ages now, really want it for a small spray gun for the car more than anything. The custom mixed cans are great but I used 3 of them just doing the new front bumper on the Mondeo the other week, the paint finish is beautiful but 3 basecoat and 3 lacquer=£50 alone, already saved nearly half the cost of the compressor even after I've bought tinned paint.

Just unpacked it, quality of the accessory kit (especially the airbrush) is great. I can see what Snoopy says about the on/off switch but other than that it looks really sturdy. They recommend you need 5hp upwards for a large spray gun but it's better than nothing, even if the pauses while the pressure builds and I get some haze and orange peel, it's gotta be better than doing the whole thing with cans and all the rubbing back afterwards to get it showroom.  

Anybody tried the pro spray gun? Any idea what the finish is like? I was going to pick up a nice pro one for about £60, this one looks ok though, even if the finish takes some elbow grease with the old rubbing compound Cheesy

Thanks for the tip Jon Wink

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Apr 16th, 2008, 9:53pm »

I can vouch for the compressor - I bought one from Aldi about a year ago when they last did them at that price.  I don't use mine regularly, but often enough to justify the price.

If you buy one, don't forget you'll need about half a litre or so SAE20 oil to go in it as there's none included...

Darren
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Apr 17th, 2008, 1:05am »

To be honest, I haven't even got mine out of the box yet  Roll Eyes.....been a bit busy  Smiley

Originally, I was only looking for a small compressor just to use with my airbrush for touching up paint work etc, but when I saw this bargain (for not much more than a decent small one), with all the kit as well, I just had to have it  Cheesy

Just one problem though  Roll Eyes.....what colour should I re-spray the Scorp  Grin
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 17th, 2008, 7:28am »

Ref Spray guns The best ones I have seen for some time and give a good finish are the ones in Machine mart ... especially when thye have a VAT free day . worth registering just for that .  

Used one of theirs and had good results  Thin paint though use plenty of GOOD quality thinners ...
IP Logged

gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 17th, 2008, 9:13am »

Darren.
Mine has oil already in it,viewed through sight glass.Maybe people were not reading the instructions and wrecking em !
        GOZZ

IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 1:48am »

Finally got mine out of the box today  Roll Eyes.....& can confirm that it is already oil filled  Smiley

Having never owned a compressor like this before, then can someone help me out please  Wink

After using it, how are you supposed to safely release the pressure ?

The instruction booklet isn't too clear....is it by keeping the tool handle pressed, or by pulling the safety valve out by the ring attached ?.....or some other way ?  Undecided
IP Logged
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 6:41am »

Hi JC

All I do is disconnect the airline and then open the valve and stand back...  On our big one at work years ago we used to just open the drain valve which was on the bottom of the reciever, this used to have the effect of draining water and oil out of the reciever at the same time.

Safety Warning, although you probably wouldn't do it, never blow compressed air at any part of your body? I have known people to blow air bubbles under their skin... can be VERY Dangerous....

Hth
Pete

hth

hth
Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 7:29am »

There should be a drain tap somewhere at the bottom of the air tank which should allow you to drain off water oil and air... My BIG Castrol one I do once week . Not good idea to leave it under pressure with water/oil mixture in it.
IP Logged

TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 8:37pm »

Rigged mine up this evening. It's never going to rival a big 5hp pro one but it's pretty quiet and builds/rebuilds pressure nice and quick, a bit small for the powerwash attachment but should be ample for a small spraygun or airbrush...I'm quite impressed with it Smiley. I'll get a couple of tins of base and clearcoat on order and let y'all know how it comes out, my nice shiny new front bumper really shows the cheap insurance paintjob up on the rear one Embarassed

My ambition is to one day strip and respray the whole Capri, got the space but nowhere large enough to paint it undercover Undecided

On the ones at work we just let off the pressure through the regulator valve at the end of the day, I did the same with this. Mine was also pre filled with oil, I'll keep the litre of SAE30 I bought for the oilchange in a couple of months Smiley

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Apr 19th, 2008, 3:31am »

Getting to grips with it now  Wink

I feel like a kid with a new toy  Grin
IP Logged
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Apr 20th, 2008, 8:24pm »

My local Aldi sold out within 4 hours  Cry Cry Cry Bl**dy typical  Sad
IP Logged

Lord...Sometimes im not that bright
a900one

A scorpio is for life not just for christmas

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Apr 22nd, 2008, 9:17pm »

And mine, none left in Cornwall.
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: May 1st, 2008, 11:20pm »

I fitted a pair of PCL couplings to mine thus allowing universal fitment of all equipment(the plastic hoses being of limited use)and discovered that the poor little 'monkey metal' manifold cannot accept any tightening using PTFE tape as normal without cracking.The manufacturers use glue and hand tighten all fittings in this mini manifold,which I will do when my new one arrives,at least they are available. Embarassed
         GOZZ.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.