Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 6:16pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Car polish »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Car polish
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Car polish  (Read 3257 times)
cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

Car polish
« on: Apr 29th, 2008, 11:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I now have a new job as a car valeter and I had a lengthy discussion with my new boss about different brands of polish suiting different makes of car.
I have found that both the peugeots we have had get a far better finish with autoglym but I found my scorp came up far better with mer.
My new boss is of the opinion its how its applied, Cant say I have changed my technique any but without doubt I have had poor finishes with autoglym on the scorp and excellent finishes on the pug, the reverse is also true with mer Undecided
Has anyone else found the same thing IE different brands of polish giving beter results on different makes of car.
IP Logged
Daven

I'm a cheeky Boy! (Simmos fan club)

View Profile WWW

Re: Car polish
« Reply #1 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 8:22am »

Not really - found using a clay bar followed by Zymol was good. Interesting test here  

Have found the wax effect wears off a bit quicker than the cheaper polish - but that could just be SE London pollution Sad  Wink

Dave
IP Logged
98scenic

Only my second Ford !

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 11:28am »

I have found that different polish/waxes work differently on different cars

For the Scorpio, I used Muc Off first, followed by poorboys exp sealant and finally poorboys carnuba wax, car comes up a treat

However, my wifes Corsa just doesnt like the poorboys products at all, the stuff proves difficult to get off and just doesnt look good, so on hers I use the Meguiars 3 stage polishes

I guess it comes down to personal preference, the amount of time you have and the amount of want you want to spend

For me, 4-6hours is the maximum Im willing to spend on a polish/wax process, which I do every 2-3months
IP Logged

Fix Or Repair Daily, surely a myth Smiley
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 6:04pm »

yeah found autoglym to be crap on the scorp but the meguires stuff to be top nothch on the fords we have  
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 8:55pm »

hi there

get some jofs!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CARNAUBA-WAX-CAR-POLISH-pro-valeting-8000-Ebay-sal es_W0QQitemZ320245217408QQihZ011QQcategoryZ72201QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

really good stuff.

hth
IP Logged
cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 9:34pm »

Never used Joffs. But I an willing to try it.
I have used clay bars and meguiars in the past and obviously they do make a big difference. The meguiars paint cleaner is absolutely fantastic at removing tar and tree sap etc.
I was just interested in the different brands on different makes of car side of things.
IP Logged
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: May 1st, 2008, 5:22pm »

Intresting topic.I have only used Autoglym for many years now ,as i felt it was the best product for the least amount of effort  Roll Eyes.My last car was polished on a weekly basis (yes i know.....got no mates) using autoglym ultra deep gloss polish & i was amazed at how well it performed.Meguires i found is only effective on dark colours & i havent used mer in years (didnt know they still made it).I have read some good reports on the new Turtle wax "ice" polish.Its a clear liquid that leaves no chalky residue when dry ,so no spending hours with a cotton bud getting it out of hard to reach places  Shocked Shocked Shocked (Ok i think i had better shut up now !!! Loosing what little bit of credability i have ...If any )  Grin Grin Grin
IP Logged

Lord...Sometimes im not that bright
98scenic

Only my second Ford !

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: May 1st, 2008, 5:40pm »

The Ultra deep gloss is a good product, along with the ultra gloss protection, I have never got on well with the super resin polish though, finding it difficult to remove

IP Logged

Fix Or Repair Daily, surely a myth Smiley
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: May 1st, 2008, 6:09pm »

i've never got on with autoglym or crystal glo whether thats on motorbikes or cars, for good quality reasonably priced versatility i find mer hard to beat, but the best i've found (reasonably priced too) is deffo the joffs....
IP Logged

Matt

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: May 1st, 2008, 7:00pm »

not the best pic but heres what the cossie looked like after Meguires  

that pic is a bit old now, shes got the facelift lighs and you can see the old 12v in the reflection lol
IP Logged

granorpio

1998 Silver Facelift Cosworth

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: May 1st, 2008, 7:17pm »

My word Matt what can one say but WOW  Smiley she looks fantastic!

Mine's silver which unfortunately is not a good colour in order to achieve a shine.  I have tried MER but found it too hard to take off and so have recently settled on the Autoglym High Gloss which is quite good.  But all ways willing to try new things I have just now ordered the JOFs via scorpio_man's link. Might yet even try the Maguires   Wink.

Really need to get some polish on as I haven't, ashamedly, done so since ....well sometime last year.  Embarassed
IP Logged

- Mike -

So nearly said "goodbye" but now Scorpio will see another day, alongside the replacement! eek!
cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: May 1st, 2008, 8:17pm »

Matt,
That looks the muts nuts. Shocked Shocked Shocked
I love to see a black car with that deep glossy shine.
Its a credit to you Wink
IP Logged
Matt

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: May 1st, 2008, 8:39pm »

its dark aubergine actually, took a while to do but i did it panel by panel repeating it till i was happy lol, the rain ran off it faultlessly for a month or two  Grin i dont normally go to that extreme with it tho Sad
IP Logged

wayne

2l 16v Ultima

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: May 1st, 2008, 10:23pm »

Strange how peoples opinions differ., I tried Autoglym and thought it was too much hard work buffing it off, and the end result didn't justify the effort.  
Been a devout Mer fan for years..until I tried Jofs! Easy on, easy off and a deeeep gloss shine.  

Probably Scorpio-Man's recommend in the first place some time back. Good one!

Goes a long way too.. I thought 'this little bottle won't do the Scorpio' but it took just half the bottle.  
That was last Summer. I add a couple of cap fulls of Mer polish to the Mer shampoo when I wash the car and that keeps her shiny. Will use the rest of the Jofs when the decent weather arrives.  Grin
IP Logged

gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: May 1st, 2008, 10:57pm »

wayne.
Are you taking your car to Spain then ?  Grin
       GOZZ.
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: May 2nd, 2008, 10:28am »

Hi guys. I use both Autoglym and Jofs, like them both for different reasons.

Autoglym is a better product than Jofs, no question. After a while the Jofs matts up the paint and you have to use something else to clean it off...the finish lasts a bit longer but it also goes greasy and hazy after a few days if you keep the car covered and it sweats a bit., neither happen with Autoglym. Jofs though is softer, makes a good detailing polish, the finish is deeper and not quite as 'sharp', it's also more tolerant of water/weathered paint.

Autoglym has a mild cutting action like T-Cut. Super Resin (red label) is the best...High Gloss (black label) is great if you use it over the red but on it's own it doesn't take kindly to weathered paint...but then Autoglym doesn't anyway, that's why you have trouble taking it off afterwards. But red is the best if the car's been weathered a bit.  

Did my Scorp properly with the Autoglym once after I did some paintwork, took all one Staurday evening to clean and cut it back and most of the Sunday to polish it back up...but the result was stunning, believe me it really looked better than new.

IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
wayne

2l 16v Ultima

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: May 2nd, 2008, 3:48pm »

Quote:
wayne.  
Are you taking your car to Spain then ?    
  GOZZ.

Hmm., Point well taken!  
Fact that I haven't felt inclined to use the other half bottle is testimony to the rubbish weather we have here!  Roll Eyes
IP Logged

wayne

2l 16v Ultima

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: May 2nd, 2008, 3:58pm »

If guys are posting pics, can I post mine?  Grin
This is after I'd Jof'd her last Summer...
IP Logged

taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: May 2nd, 2008, 6:02pm »

thats interesting tibs, i've never found autoglym to do anything of any note, i've never even got water to bead off with it, whereas the depth i get with joffs is amazing, i've never found it to go greasy or hazy either, but an interesting point you noted about the car being covered, mine lives outside...
IP Logged

IVANNE

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: May 2nd, 2008, 7:18pm »

HI REF POLISH NEVER HERD OF JOFFS POLISH ALWAYS USE MEGUIRES WERE CAN I GET SOME FROM PLEASE      JUST BOUGHT COSWORH 1995 WITH ONLY 36000 MILE ON CLOCK BUT CANT USE IT TILL I SELL MY MERC TRIED EBAY BUT NO GO WILL TRY AUTO TRADER NEXT CANT WAIT TO GIVE SCORPIO A GO
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.