Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 6:14pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« natures amazing..... »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   natures amazing.....
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: natures amazing.....  (Read 2162 times)
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

natures amazing.....
« on: May 1st, 2008, 9:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

there i am tidying up my flat on a sunny spring evening, windows open etc when i hear a bird squawking in panic/terror, i look round, there's only jessie in so i think, oh no, alfie's been out for a take away, but, the bird is still squawking? i look out the back window looking for alfie, no sign except the white cat (alfies most hated enemy) is sat there transfixed by something? i look around again and there it is just 10 feet from my window a beautiful bird of prey, hawk? falcon? dunno, it was mainly grey in colour and not really any bigger than a pidgeon and was looking at its catch which was pinned to the ground under one foot. it then plucked it and ate it. just a shame i couldnt capture it on camera, never seen that in real life, not bad for inner london. the only concern i have is the bird it caught; just lately i've noticed a pair of sparrows fluttering about which is good as they're the first i've seen in london for over a year (their numbers have declined by about 80% or more in london over 10 years), so i hope there is still a pair....
IP Logged

gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

Re: natures amazing.....
« Reply #1 on: May 1st, 2008, 11:02pm »

tali.
It was almost certainly a sparrowhawk.We bog dwellers see them frequently.They usually just leave the wings,a bit tough I suppose.
         GOZZ.
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 2nd, 2008, 1:54am »

I'd agree with Gozz  Smiley

I'm no twitcher, but my younger brother used to be an avid bird watcher & would often inform me of his many urban sitings of Sparrow Hawks....yawn  Roll Eyes

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/s/sparrowhawk/index.asp

Nature is amazing though....

....when I was a kid, we used to put nuts on the lawn for the squirrels.

There was one particular squirrel that obviously realised a good source of food when he saw it & started coming up to the patio door in anticipation. When we opened the door he would just sit there & wait for his nuts.

It got to the point that he would actually start scratching on the window of the patio door, & when we opened it he would take the nuts straight from our open hands.

Come winter, he dissapeared, so we just assumed he'd hibernated for the winter & never expected to see him again.......but come the next Spring, he was back, scratching at the patio door again.....

......Friendly & clever little fellow he was  Smiley
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: May 2nd, 2008, 7:59am »

If it was a GREY then they do not hibernate ... Rodents the lot of them and one of the biggest enviromental disasters ever inflicted on this country.. Typical !  

Bring back the levy on the grey!  

Red squirrel is the natural one for this country and is protected by law as they have become so rare .
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: May 2nd, 2008, 5:48pm »

yep, there are no greys on the isle of wight....
IP Logged

taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: May 2nd, 2008, 5:54pm »

a sparrowhawk you say.....hmmm....looks likely....especially as i think it may have been eating a sparrow  Roll Eyes......
IP Logged

gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: May 2nd, 2008, 10:34pm »

Quite right Snoopy they dont hibernate,vermin they are,we used to get a shilling from the powers that were,for every tail.They have all but ousted the reds of course !
   GOZZ (one time rodent murderer)
IP Logged
DezertBLU

I'm a newbie!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: May 3rd, 2008, 2:28pm »

The past two years while we lived in Hartlepool we had a bird of prey living near us, since our garden was a haven for birds of every description it naturally took to hunting above our garden.The huge doves we had spent the spring watching dissappeared as did an entire population of sparrows , black birds, starlings ect....we were also having to keep a very close watch on our very tiny Yorkie puppies.This year just before we moved...I have noticed no birds other than the starling couple who seem to roost in our overhang from the roof.I think birds of prey are amazing to watch and hope the species that are in danger of dying out make a comeback.
IP Logged

"I'm Just A girl , In A Sea Of Many"
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: May 3rd, 2008, 9:56pm »

DezertBLU.
Come along now,you know you should'nt allow your bald eagle out of his quarantine cage !  Shocked
        GOZZ.
IP Logged
sab6024

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: May 3rd, 2008, 10:30pm »

Grey Squirrels are just Rats with good PR Grin

Once saw a Sparrow Hawk take a Sparrow from the tree in my back garden once, I was shocked yet amazed at the speed of the whole event Shocked
IP Logged
DezertBLU

I'm a newbie!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: May 4th, 2008, 1:11am »

Grey squirrels are something I miss...I know the reputation they got here and such, but back home they were not only cute, but quite entertaining to watch. I havn't seen any greys here where i am it's been 6 years now since I saw one ...unless you count the ones on T.V.
And in my oppinion there is nothing wrong with RATS either, yes the city RATS are a problem and cause a real hazzard, but not ALL rats are a bad thing..but then that's just my own view having owned several in my lifetime.
IP Logged

Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: May 4th, 2008, 1:20am »

The squirrel in my post was grey, & I didn't say it hibernated, only assumed it did.

I do know that grey squirrels don't hibernate over winter, but I was about 8 years old at the time & wasn't aware of this fact.

I won't bother posting anymore heart warming childhood recollections of nature again, if the only response is from a couple of grumpy old men  Roll Eyes...... Grin

The grey squirrel was introduced to this country in 1876....so it's not exactly a recent immigrant....& certainly not an illegal one  Smiley

....& how anyone can compare a grey squirrel to a sewer rat  Huh....squirrels are gentile & elegant in their movements, whereas rats just scurry.

Squirrels are shy but inqusitive creatures that know how to find food & are predominately vegetarian, whereas rats will eat practically anything  Roll Eyes

Rats brought bubonic plague to this country with the fleas & parasites that lived within their fur......Grey squirrels have never inflicted humans with any such disease.....

.....So I don't see why anyone would class grey squirrels as vermin  Huh

IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: May 4th, 2008, 8:09am »

Well if you really understood the damage they actually do , Stripping the bark of our trees causing them to die along with other traits, you would understand . They carry a virus which infects our NATURAL reds and kills them. The greys are just a carrier of this virus and are immune from it  . The whole of the population of the American Grey Squirrel in this country is you so rightly state the offspring from the two greys released way back in 1876 .

Got go as there is another one in the tree at the back .. where's my gun !
BTW they taste quite good cooked !
IP Logged

TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: May 4th, 2008, 12:58pm »

on May 4th, 2008, 1:11am, DezertBLU wrote:
RATS are a problem and cause a real hazzard

Are you sure you meant RATS and not PATS? Both can be frustrating if you own a Scorp and live in the city Roll Eyes

Nerdy joke I know, sorry Undecided

We've got a grey squirrel in our garden, it's like watching the old advert that used to be on of the squirrel on the assault course with 'Mission Impossible' playing. d**n thing gets hoards of nuts from somewhere, every time you go to dig something you find a dozen peanuts buried there in their shells...

Regards, Bruce Smiley
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
DezertBLU

I'm a newbie!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: May 4th, 2008, 1:01pm »

It was 229 years after the Great Plague dealt London such a terrible blow that the probable cause of the disease was discovered. In 1894, during an epidemic in Hong Kong, two rival research teams – one led by the Japanese scientist Shibasaburo Kitasato and the other by the Frenchman Alexandre Yersin, a former pupil of Louis Pasteur – isolated the bacillus Pasteurella pestis (now called Yersinia pestis) that is responsible for plague.  

Further research showed that this was a disease of black rats and other rodents, spread by their fleas. When all the rats died, the fleas would frantically look for new hosts: human beings. The plague bacillus is extremely virulent. Laboratory mice die after being infected with just three bacilli – and fleas can disgorge up to 24,000 in one bite.  

IP Logged

TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: May 4th, 2008, 1:02pm »

on May 1st, 2008, 11:02pm, gozz wrote:
We bog dwellers see them frequently.They usually just leave the wings,a bit tough I suppose.

GOZZ, You make them sound like a meal from the local Chinese takeaway, the wings are always a bit tough on the 'Number 32' from the Golden Dragon in town Undecided  

Maybe I've been a sparrowhawk all along and not realised Grin
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: May 4th, 2008, 1:33pm »

tbh i cant really see the point of taking out vengence on an animal for something human so called kind has done; if greys are such a pest its not their fault, its ours, or rather our ancestors. if all the greys originate from one pair then i suggest they're here to stay, just like rabbits and hares after they were introduced.

as for the 2 main plagues, there's still some debate as to whether they were bubonic or numonic (sp?), 2 different virus', maybe it was natures way of culling the human population, think what todays population would be if they hadnt happened....
IP Logged

pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: May 9th, 2008, 10:25am »

Did anyone see the black squirrels on tv last night?  Apparently they are a crossbreed between the greys and the reds, now that is a new one because it was always said that they wouldn't interbreed.  These black ones have more Mellatonin in them so it gives the effect of being black.... As the title of this post says, Nature's amaizing.... Shocked

Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #18 on: May 9th, 2008, 4:37pm »

Sorry to correct you they are NOT a cross bertween reds and greys they are  a grey which has undergone a bio change and as such they have as you so rightly state more mellatonin in them and possibly more testosterone which is why they are able to bredd so readily ..... Darwins evolution theory comes to mind !
IP Logged

Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: May 10th, 2008, 2:43am »

I read something about these black squirrels recently, & apparently, one of the reasons why the black squirrel population is expanding so rapidly is because female greys seem to prefer the black males to the grey males.........Don't know why this the case, but maybe the following scenarios about how squirrels mate might be the reason....

Grey male.... Wink  grey female....  Smiley

Black male....  Wink  grey female.... Shocked........... Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

ROFL  ROFL
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.