Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 6:12pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« New site »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   New site
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New site  (Read 2730 times)
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

New site
« on: May 8th, 2008, 1:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi guys.

Couldn't decide whether to post this here so here goes.

Take a look at this site, tell me what you think. It's a long story but basically eBay were getting really funny and kept pulling my listings because they thought I was using them to get private work. Trading on eBay is expensive so even if I only get a tiny amount of work to pay the hosting fees, I'll leave the site up a while and see what happens.

This is not a living, don't get me wrong. It's never going to earn anywhere near that, I doubt I could give up work to repair audio gear to get rich Grin. But for a hobby which I do for a couple of hours in the evening sometimes the site gives me a place to advertise, and if it does bring in a bit of work and a couple of quid to put petrol in the car etc then great.

It went up on Monday morning and I've been here the last 3 nights trying to learn some code just to get it working. Before the weekend I was so green about web design you couldn't have set fire to me, the last couple of nights have been a nightmare just trying to get everything working.

Everything on the site except the basic page template is mine (yes, even the photos are all of my old junk Roll Eyes), it's a premium hosting package so tonight I've sent the stuff to get it listed on Google. If it does pick up some business I'll get some proper software and redesign it in a few months. Otherwise I'll let the year run and have a rethink.

If you're not interested in that sort of thing then the site might come accross a bit anoraky but then again I like my music and I wanted it to seem like it'd been written by someone who was interested, I think I managed that at least Undecided

Too many late nights, I'll regret posting this in the morning Grin

Regards, Bruce Smiley
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

Re: New site
« Reply #1 on: May 8th, 2008, 2:35am »

Looks good to me, elegant simple layout, quick to load – wish more sites were like it, I just move on if there’s to many gimmicks/slow pages.

I’d prefer a ‘home’ tab on all the pages.
Viewed on IE 6.

Dave
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: May 8th, 2008, 6:38am »

Hi Bruce,
I like the site and I think everything works well.  I used to go to all the Hifi shows back in the early seventies and remember drooling over equipment which I thought I would never be able to afford, I remember the Warfdale Airdales and Senhieser speakers with all the tweeters placed at different angles on the top, also those big flat panel radiator speakers (can't remember the name) But when they demo'd them they would almost lift you off the floor..... ya, great times, now of course much of the equipment is stored away in lofts etc.

Yes, It needs a bit of publicity.... your site looks good and I wish you all the best with it....

Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: May 8th, 2008, 6:50am »

Seems to work well in Firefox looks good and as stated loads fast , nice and staightforward  ... GOOD LUCK ...
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: May 8th, 2008, 8:45am »

Looks nice Bruce, but (here comes the constructive criticism  Wink)

You should run the site through the W3C Validator (checks for errors in the html code)
here

Apart from that, it's great  Smiley
IP Logged

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Norway
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: May 8th, 2008, 10:39am »

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback. It got lost in my 2am translation but it's constructive crit I'm after, I know there's errors because the online editing software is buggy, sometimes things work and sometimes all the formatting goes funny, being a novice and trying to write code directly isn't funny. I'd rather hear it from people on here rather than start getting emails saying 'Oi, your site doesn't work' Roll Eyes

So there's likely many errors in the code, but if it's working for the moment I'll let it run a couple of months and think about redesigning it with some proper software (any advice on software? MS Front page?). I'd love to have a funky looking modern site but thought an elegant, staid style fitted better, hence the muted colours. Logos still need some work too, graphics aren't a problem though, just the coding and techy stuff.

Dave, 'Home' tab on the pages? Instead of or as well as the 'Up' tab? Not a problem, could be changed easily.

Pete, I'm not old enough to remember all this stuff first time around mate Wink. But my old man was very into hi-fi and always had quite a good system, many memories of Pink Floyd's 'Brick in the wall' and old jazz and classic being thundered through good speakers Grin. I'm getting into newer gear now, got my Celestions and trying to pick up a Musical Fidelity amp, wanted one of those 250w/ch Nu-vista valve things for years. But, the vintage gear is popular and brings in a lot of interest when I list on eBay, and it's pretty rugged and serviceable...so seemed a good choice.

Anyone else? Grin

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
98scenic

Only my second Ford !

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: May 8th, 2008, 5:16pm »

Looks good, also well done for taking it on yourself, I recruited my wife to run my online business website Smiley
IP Logged

Fix Or Repair Daily, surely a myth Smiley
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: May 8th, 2008, 10:13pm »

Well, I'm not expecting a rush, it's too much of a niche thing for that, I'm more hoping once it's on Google that people will stray accross it and I'll start to pick up some interest here and there.  

But then it's not like I've started a shop format and had to buy loads of stock and do inventories, apart from the annual hosting fees the overheads are non existent and the only input it needs to keep running from me is to check the emails every evening. Apart from that, if I leave it up and develop it a bit over a year or two it's a good portfolio if I want to change jobs later down the line.  

Anyhow, it's early days, I'm just testing the water with it really Smiley

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: May 8th, 2008, 11:36pm »

Bruce,

Have a look at Google Analytics to help see where your visits are coming from and how they are finding you.

Have been using the free version with my blog for about a month now and very impressed, it will also help you see which key words are working for you.

Incidentally, this may not be a money spinner but do you know if it may be possible to retro fit a socket for mp3 players to play through Scorp radios, I have been using a cassette adaptor which does the trick and actually doubles as a car phone, playing incoming calls through the radio however I think an input socket hooked up as an auxiliary would be an even better solution.

Geoff  

Wink
IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
pete from Hull

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: May 9th, 2008, 7:31am »

on May 8th, 2008, 10:39am, TiberiuS wrote:

Pete, I'm not old enough to remember all this stuff first time around mate Wink. But my old man was very into hi-fi and always had quite a good system, many memories of Pink Floyd's 'Brick in the wall' and old jazz and classic being thundered through good speakers Grin. I'm getting into newer gear now, got my Celestions and trying to pick up a Musical Fidelity amp, wanted one of those 250w/ch Nu-vista valve things for years. But, the vintage gear is popular and brings in a lot of interest when I list on eBay, and it's pretty rugged and serviceable...so seemed a good choice.

Anyone else? Grin

Regards, Bruce.

This is the gear you want Bruce these amps were the bees knees, always fancied one myself but didn't hold out much hope.  Now the possibility is there it seems irrelevent cos my ears don't work the same now.... Pardon... Grin

http://www.hifisounds.co.uk/

Pete

IP Logged

Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: May 9th, 2008, 9:24pm »

on May 8th, 2008, 11:36pm, Geoff_W wrote:
Bruce,

Have a look at Google Analytics to help see where your visits are coming from and how they are finding you.

Have been using the free version with my blog for about a month now and very impressed, it will also help you see which key words are working for you.

Incidentally, this may not be a money spinner but do you know if it may be possible to retro fit a socket for mp3 players to play through Scorp radios, I have been using a cassette adaptor which does the trick and actually doubles as a car phone, playing incoming calls through the radio however I think an input socket hooked up as an auxiliary would be an even better solution.

Geoff  

Wink

You're far too old for an Ipod Geoff!! Wink

I've got an adaptor that connects into the multichanger socket behind the radio and allows you to play it that way
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

98scenic

Only my second Ford !

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: May 9th, 2008, 9:30pm »

As Homer would say "mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm valve amplifier"  Grin
IP Logged

Fix Or Repair Daily, surely a myth Smiley
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: May 10th, 2008, 1:07am »

Pete, weren't they the ones which were based on matched pairs of EL34 valves? I know Quad made something based on EL34's but can't remember which it was, from memory these are too powerful, don't you need beam pentodes or something over a certain power output?  

Quote:
also those big flat panel radiator speakers (can't remember the name)

Electrostatics? The big ones with giant mylar sheets...apparently they work well with valves too. Didn't Quad make some of those back in the day?

Tubes are great, transistors sound so hard after them...and vintage Jap gear can be bright even for transistors. Probably why I like the sound of vinyl so much, has a deeper, more rounded sound than digital.

Years ago when I was at school I heard a big old Technics on a pair of Wharfedale E70's. From that day on I wanted a pair, in the end I bought a pair of Valdus 500...what a let down Sad. Cheap build, thin boxy bass, made in China Undecided. Ok, not a mega expensive pair of speakers in the grand scheme of things but still a lot ot me at the time. What happened to Wharfedale along the way? Undecided

Regards, Bruce.

IP Logged

pete from Hull

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: May 10th, 2008, 2:03pm »

on May 10th, 2008, 1:07am, TiberiuS wrote:
Pete, weren't they the ones which were based on matched pairs of EL34 valves? I know Quad made something based on EL34's but can't remember which it was, from memory these are too powerful, don't you need beam pentodes or something over a certain power output?  

Electrostatics? The big ones with giant mylar sheets...apparently they work well with valves too. Didn't Quad make some of those back in the day?

Tubes are great, transistors sound so hard after them...and vintage Jap gear can be bright even for transistors. Probably why I like the sound of vinyl so much, has a deeper, more rounded sound than digital.

Years ago when I was at school I heard a big old Technics on a pair of Wharfedale E70's. From that day on I wanted a pair, in the end I bought a pair of Valdus 500...what a let down Sad. Cheap build, thin boxy bass, made in China Undecided. Ok, not a mega expensive pair of speakers in the grand scheme of things but still a lot ot me at the time. What happened to Wharfedale along the way? Undecided

Regards, Bruce.

They are still there producing ever better kit.. www.wharfedale.co.uk

Yeah the electrostatics,  Shocked like great big trampolines stood on a side, if you stood in front of them you sure felt the shock waves. Huh

I remember when they were demoing the Airdales at one of the shows, the demonstrator took out the lead from the back of the speaker and connected it to a 100w bulb which lit up and flashed with the music....

They used to have every model of speaker on a switching network so they could show the differences in quality, another good display was always put on by Bose too. Very good quality stuff...  Wink eee, memories eh...
IP Logged

Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: May 10th, 2008, 6:25pm »

Stuart

Resisted the ipod temptation so far but my phone has a 1gb mem chip and about five cds on it.

Assorted bits of music from Ealing Film Themes, through Chris Rea Road to hell via Mark Knopfler and Golden Heart.

Ditched the Victor Sylvestor.

First family car that I can remember was a Ford Consul with a bench seat and a valve radio, in the days when motor racing was broadcast on the Home Service. Does your multi-changer socket adaptor mean that you can use the column stalk as well?

Where did you get it from and any chance of a picture?

Sorry Bruce, not trying to pinch your thread. Incidentally Good Luck, really impressed with the work that you did on the OBD diagnostic box
IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: May 11th, 2008, 12:04am »

love the site, love old hi fi stuff though i dont know much about it other than the quality in general is far better. i've got loads of vinyl and use an old ferguson system 25 t/table, the strobe pitch control works a treat and the sound quality is pretty good through my bose speakers which must be at least 25 years old now, the amp is more modern though, cambridge audio A1 and cd player is a full size kenwood but i do use an age old technics tape deck as a headphone pre amp as i never got around to buying one of those funny little amps...
IP Logged

TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: May 11th, 2008, 7:50pm »

Hi Tali. Yup, I've done a few Fergusons, the turntables are sometimes rebadged BSRs with idler wheel drive, nice simple idea but murder to get running when the old idlers have hardened up and new ones cost more than the value of the set. If you're on belt drive though you're ok Wink.  

Had one once which played not only 78's but 16's, I've never even seen a 16rpm record before Grin

Geoff, yup I'll take a look at the Google statistics Smiley. As for input for the Scorp, you're better off doing what Stuart says and tapping into the CD input, wiring new inputs isn't something you'd want to try when it's all controlled through microprocessor, my limit was pulling mine to bits when the display died and that was enough Grin

Regards, Bruce Smiley

IP Logged

TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: May 11th, 2008, 11:22pm »

on May 10th, 2008, 2:03pm, peteHull wrote:

They are still there producing ever better kit.. www.wharfedale.co.uk

Hi Pete. Not my Wharfies mate, I've had 3 pairs and they've all been dissapointing. Seems all the hifi companies have an obsession now with cheap consumer grade gear, and if you do get something at the top end it's still low grade inside. Even the Celestions now, I saw a couple of pairs in an audio store a few months back...ok, from an aesthetic point they looked nice but as speakers, come on...what happened to quality in the 5 years since they dropped the A series?  

Reading between the lines I think you're saying to me that there's better high end gear out there to get involved with, I guess in a way you're right. I like my old silver gear, used to buy a lot of it at one time. I'm getting older now, I've sold most of it except for a couple of amps and a receiver and I know what I'd like to get to replace the stuff I've sold. I'd love to spend the evenings fixing vintage Garrads and Quads, but I need to start with what I understand and what there's a mainstream market for Smiley
IP Logged

pete from Hull

View Profile Email

« Reply #18 on: May 12th, 2008, 7:03am »

on May 11th, 2008, 11:22pm, TiberiuS wrote:

Hi Pete. Not my Wharfies mate, I've had 3 pairs and they've all been dissapointing.

Ha Ha, yes I suppose you're right, but nowadays anything sounds good to me 'cos my lugs are just about shot, I have a high frequency hearing loss, can't even listen to the telly now without it being very load...
Quote:

Seems all the hifi companies have an obsession now with cheap consumer grade gear, and if you do get something at the top end it's still low grade inside. Even the Celestions now, I saw a couple of pairs in an audio store a few months back...ok, from an aesthetic point they looked nice but as speakers, come on...what happened to quality in the 5 years since they dropped the A series?

Sign of the times I'm afraid, young'uns don't need more than a load of Bass boost including it's megadistortion effects, you only have to listen to the boy racers in thier boom boom clio's and corsa's.
Makes you laugh doesn't it?

Quote:
Reading between the lines I think you're saying to me that there's better high end gear out there to get involved with, I guess in a way you're right. I like my old silver gear, used to buy a lot of it at one time. I'm getting older now, I've sold most of it except for a couple of amps and a receiver and I know what I'd like to get to replace the stuff I've sold. I'd love to spend the evenings fixing vintage Garrads and Quads, but I need to start with what I understand and what there's a mainstream market for Smiley

I actually threw a load of good gear out a couple of years ago, wish I hadn't now but there ya go... I have just bought one of thes 7.1 surround systems to hook up to our telly when I get the repairs finnished, an LG system, the full works for about £200,,, We'll see if I can hear them, I kept my direct drive TT so should still be able to play my vinyls....

Pete
IP Logged

TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: May 13th, 2008, 12:47am »

Hi Pete.

The Wharfies aren't bad, don't get me wrong - but nowhere near what they used to be, the laminate started peeling off 2 of my pairs when they were less than a year old, in the space of 2 years I blew 2 tweeters and a woofer and they didn't get treated hard...I like my sounds but not '130dB death metal' loud, they got run with decent amps so no problems with clipping killing the tweeters.

I tend to run straight through the tone circuits now, no bass or treble boost, nothing. On a speaker that can handle the transients on the low end, any kind of bass or loudness filter kills the sound and makes it muddy Undecided

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.