Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 6:15pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Fuel Protest on 27th May »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Fuel Protest on 27th May
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Fuel Protest on 27th May  (Read 1615 times)
Danny

View Profile Email

Fuel Protest on 27th May
« on: May 21st, 2008, 3:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Found this on another website, I know I will try and be there for the event (Work Permitting).  

Might be worth passing this around and more people involved.

http://www.stdrivers.co.uk/forum/showtopic.php?tid/7949/
IP Logged

ex 1996 24v Cosworth
Now - Mondeo ST TDCI (Sat Nav Built-in/Bluetooth/Voice Control/Xenons/DeCat/Bluefin Remap @ 190bhp)
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

Re: Fuel Protest on 27th May
« Reply #1 on: May 21st, 2008, 7:30pm »

Ahh yes, another fuel protest Roll Eyes

Sounds great, but the only people it affects are the ordinary working Joe who needs to fill up their car for work, the Govt. don't give a d**n because they know there's gonna be plenty of panic buying before hand and then miles of queues of punters afterwards waiting patiently to hand over more of their hard earned dosh to replace the fuel they used during the protest.

Besides, it ain't the fuel companies, it's the treasuary who take the taxes, people moan about companies like Shell and BP but the amount they earn per litre is a pittance compared to what the Govt. does Lips Sealed

Don't get me wrong mate, I agree with you. But all it's going to do is squeeze the ordinary public even more...it's not going to force a U turn because when it comes to polling day, 50% of people don't bother to turn out and vote Undecided

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
TRACEYS_LIMO

I'm a YaBB newbie

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 21st, 2008, 8:01pm »

it is getting to the point were no one will be able to drive any where without getting a loan to fill there tank, i hear that in the sixtys because of fuel prices a lot of big fords and jags were to dear to run and were scrapped becuase no one was buying them and the owners could not afford to run them, now we cannot even afford to get them there Sad
IP Logged
Danny

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: May 21st, 2008, 8:41pm »

If Gordon Brown was clever enough, he would lower the fuel taxes to try and win some votes.  
I use my car every day for work driving on averge 200 miles per day, my company will only give me 0.17p per mile back so I have to wait until next year to claim the difference back. It costs me £25 every day to fill up a quarter of a tank (Always keep the fuel tank full) @ 1.24 per ltr.  

Something needs to done, I have heard somewhere (can't remember where) that fuel may get as high as £1.50 per ltr by the end of the year. What happens then? Where does this end?  

Cheers

Dan
IP Logged

ex 1996 24v Cosworth
Now - Mondeo ST TDCI (Sat Nav Built-in/Bluetooth/Voice Control/Xenons/DeCat/Bluefin Remap @ 190bhp)
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: May 21st, 2008, 9:25pm »

dan it wont end until everyone gets together and where possible go on fuel protests, and i would suggest 1.50 per litre is a conservative estimate....
IP Logged

Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: May 21st, 2008, 9:32pm »

Dont want to upset you further but i heard it will be £1.50 before SEPTEMBER  Shocked Shocked Shocked.I fully support the fuel protesters,but it wont work unless the WHOLE of the country get behind them  Roll EyesDont worry about having enough fuel to get to work.After a fourtnight of zero productivity the goverment will have no choice but to give in.In the long run the money we loose for that fourtnight will be re couped in our fuel savings.SOLIDARITY is whats called for. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Lord...Sometimes im not that bright
Danny

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: May 21st, 2008, 11:02pm »

Hey I just wish the lorry drivers would do what they done years ago. I could do with a few days off work  Grin (Sorry Boss, no fuel to get to site  Cool)
IP Logged

ex 1996 24v Cosworth
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: May 22nd, 2008, 9:50pm »

I'd like to take part in the protest but I can't afford the petrol to get there, the congestion charge, parking, or alternative forms of transport.  Seems only the rich can protest over the high cost of living...

Darren
IP Logged
Danny

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: May 22nd, 2008, 10:25pm »

If you got their late you could use the over spill car park A40 (its free!!!)  The rest I can't help you with  Tongue
IP Logged

ex 1996 24v Cosworth
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: May 23rd, 2008, 2:55am »

The main reason why petrol prices are soaring is because OPEC aren't producing enough barrels of oil to meet world demands.....

Why ?......

Because they are greedy SOBs who love to hold the world to ransom & make huge profits at the same time  Roll Eyes

There is no shortage of oil reserves at the moment, & they are saying that the unrest in the Gulf is affecting oil prices, but a lot of it comes from South America as well, where there are no conflicts involving other nations.

Lets face it, fuel protests aren't going to do anything to reduce government taxation, & if it does, then they'll just stick the tax somewhere else to make up the shortfall.....which will no doubt still affect the British tax payer in one way or other  Roll Eyes

Gordon Brown has apparently joined other world leaders to try & convince OPEC to increase oil production & relieve the fuel crisis that the world is currently suffering from......whether OPEC will listen or not is another thing  Huh

Tony Blair lit the fuse by following George Bush into Afghanistan & Iraq. A decision that inevitably cost the British tax payer aplenty & as a result, we are now driving down the road to recession because of this.

But old Teflon Tony walked away, because he knew what was going to happen as a result of the military expenditure of this country in Afghanistan & Iraq & so handed his post to his second in charge........

..........Gordon Brown, the stealth tax bomber, chancellor of the exchequer, who has been stealing our money for ten years & has never managed to save a penny of it  Roll Eyes

With this guy in charge, then be prepared for hard times ahead  Sad
IP Logged
Danny

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: May 23rd, 2008, 9:43am »

Nice post Jonnycab, I have to  Agree with you about Blair & Brown. I wont be voting labour next time around.  

We need to find a way for Brown and other leaders around the world to apply a lot of pressure on OPEC to reduce these prices. Otherwise it will force the averge to driver to look at different fuels to power cars other than petrol/diesel, then OPEC won't be  Smiley when their sales drop.  

My work car is diesel, I might run it on Veggie oil  Grin
IP Logged

ex 1996 24v Cosworth
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: May 23rd, 2008, 6:12pm »

A supprising amount of people are now switching to veg oil / bio diesel & i say good for them. Imagine what would happen if only half the diesel cars in britain ran on veg oil  Shocked.Diesel prices would plummet  Grin Grin.My next scorpio will definatley be a diesel.Local farm produces there own sunflower oil for an amazing 70p per litre  Wink
IP Logged

Lord...Sometimes im not that bright
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: May 23rd, 2008, 10:25pm »

well i've never voted labour but have always supported the war, however thats a different subject.  
the demand for oil is due to more than just opec; china and other fast developing countries are putting huge strains on supplies, then of course supplies are going down in the U.S. as well as the north sea.
as for veggie oil well, there seems to be a massive increase in demand worldwide which itself has led to massive price hikes of the stuff, then of course the supermarkets are cashing in on the idea, 6 months ago i was buying veggie at 55p per litre now i struggle to find any cheaper than 105p....... Sad
IP Logged

Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: May 24th, 2008, 12:21am »

Gordon Brown has recently been blaming OPEC representing 40% of the worlds supply for the increases in fuel and food prices, clearly there is some real gouging going on at the moment with oil trading at such high prices.

However do not forget that Gordon collects 100% of the taxes on petrol and diesel and he has been getting a huge windfall all of his own with just under 20pence in the pound in vat on top of fuel excise duty for each price increase. He is pushing through a set of road tax increases that are designed to force older vehicles of the road and to make life harder for those members of society that need road transport but cannot necessarily go out and buy new. (Incidentally making it so expensive in the process that he will force many motorists to cut even more corners to keep a vehicle on the road).

In Portugal the government has reduced fuel duties to take away some of the pain to its citizens. a lot of the food and goods price rises that we are seeing are helped along by the increases in distribution costs due to OPEC, due to speculators, but also due to Gordo the Magnificent's smoke and mirrors tax and spend regime.

OK I am biased, but I hate the way that peoples lives are being impacted by this government's inability to think in a joined up manner and the tractor factory politics that are being stuffed down our throats. I also resent the way that motorists are being treated as some kind of second class or nasty polluting horde just because some metrocentric gits who probably have not even had to experience the challenge of getting to work without the tube or their oyster card lack the sense to realise that there is life outside London.

AAGGGGGHHHHH!

IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: May 24th, 2008, 1:12am »

blimey Geoff.... ever thought about a career in politics!!?? Grin Grin
IP Logged
Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: May 24th, 2008, 6:48am »

on May 24th, 2008, 12:21am, Geoff_W wrote:
I also resent the way that motorists are being treated as some kind of second class or nasty polluting horde just because some metrocentric gits who probably have not even had to experience the challenge of getting to work without the tube or their oyster card lack the sense to realise that there is life outside London.

AAGGGGGHHHHH!

Replace 'London' with 'Oslo' and you would be talking about Norway.

Every time I drive past Oslo (why on earth would I stop there?  Wink) I can see a new motorway being built. Great. But to actually get to Oslo, I pass several hundred kilometers of E road, and quite a lot of it isn't even full width (less than 5.5m wide). I had a look at a map recently, and ~80% of all motorways in Norway are in the area around Oslo.

Oh and they actually believe that public transport is an alternative to people outside cities. Where I live there are no trains and the bus only comes by when you don't need it, and then it's going in the wrong direction.
IP Logged

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Norway
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: May 24th, 2008, 10:38am »

well i have to admit im in a lucky position at the moment as i only live a few miles from work so i cycle and being a bus driver i get a free oyster card which is handy.  
a big problem with london is property within the london area is so expensive so people look outside for property with the view of commuting in, but now they get hammered on the commuting.
IP Logged

Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: May 24th, 2008, 1:34pm »

Grin Wink Grin  

Rumbled.....

I can't help it, I try not to rant to often on here but this situation gets me soooo mad, actually the political stuff is on my blog   Roll Eyes as to career well only time will tell.
IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.