Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 6:21pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« it just had to be.... »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   it just had to be....
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: it just had to be....  (Read 1021 times)
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

it just had to be....
« on: May 22nd, 2008, 6:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on the 6 o' clock bbc news this evening a feature about rising oil prices and due to this the rising theft from petrol pumps. in the feature they showed cctv footage from a petrol station forecourt; at the left pump a black cab, the narrator says 'watch what happens on the right'........and there it is, a green pre facelift filling up, the driver puts the pump back then dives in the car and speeds off.............. Roll Eyes
IP Logged

TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

Re: it just had to be....
« Reply #1 on: May 22nd, 2008, 7:57pm »

Oh crikey. I'd just nicked that Scorp too Embarassed

I should've gone for the dayglow green one parked in the high street instead Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Pegasus

24V Cosworth  Ultima Born: Sept 97, sold Aug 23

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 22nd, 2008, 9:24pm »

Apparently this type of thing is increasing.

Just seen in the paper that some forecourts are putting in automatic stingers (operated from within kiosk) that are activated by the front wheels (if driver ignores warning) and shreds the rears.  

Its already been used successfully
IP Logged

Go Go Go ...
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: May 22nd, 2008, 9:46pm »

yeah they showed them on the news, lots of petrol stations are fitting them...
IP Logged

sab6024

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: May 27th, 2008, 10:19pm »

I've never seen them stinger things before, could have hours of fun if I was still working for my local Shell garage Grin
I had a car broken into once and the theiving pikeys nicked my plates and used them for a "drive off" in the garage I worked at.  How embarrasing when my boss tells me the reg and it's mine.  The car was in storage so I didn't check on it very often  Cry
IP Logged
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: May 27th, 2008, 11:26pm »

I'm just wondering how long before it costs more to get to work each day than what you earn... Shocked
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: May 28th, 2008, 12:04am »

on May 27th, 2008, 11:26pm, Scorpio_Mike wrote:
I'm just wondering how long before it costs more to get to work each day than what you earn... Shocked

Been there already Mike. Got offered a job last year in Chelmsford, sounded good until I worked it all out, even if I downgraded from the Mondeo or took the train I'd be earning b****r all by the time everything's paid. That plus the 120 mile round trip and getting to sit in traffic on the A12 for 3 hours every day in all weathers. No thanks Sad

No wonder they can't get people off of the dole, life's not bad here but I'm getting work during the day when I can and running a business during the evenings just to get by, it's not funny. Would be better off on the dole, I'm too d**n proud and honest though. Fool Undecided

About the spikes, there's a petrol station in Barking which had them installed on the entrance back in 2003. One of those where the kiosk is near the exit, they were spring loaded for if a car tried to drive out of the entrance. So much for customer trust, bloody Tesco Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: May 31st, 2008, 4:46pm »

Flippin' heck,  the solution's  simple.  

All pumps are cash pre-paid,  they've been doing it the States for yonks.

Pay at the cashdesk first,  then fill-up.

No Cash  ...   No Gas  Cool
IP Logged
Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: May 31st, 2008, 10:06pm »

Or like some stations are up here. You swipe your credit/debet/visa/master card in the card reader on the pump, enter your pin code and fill up. Money is drawn from your account when you put the pump handle back in place.
IP Logged

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Norway
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jun 1st, 2008, 3:20am »

All the big petrol stations have ANPR cameras now....so until it checks that the car isn't stolen or the registration is that of the vehicle, then the pump will not start.

So you'd be pretty stupid to drive off without paying when all your vehicles details & your face have been recorded & logged...

....Unless of course, you've just stolen the car & it hasn't been reported yet. In this scenario ANPR cameras are useless  Roll Eyes

That's probably why so many petrol stations are going for the more brutal approach & having a stinger fitted at the exit & entrance to the forecourt  Smiley

My local BP has ANPR cameras & although it has cut down fuel theft, they still get a few who drive off without paying...... but the local Texaco has stingers at the exit & entrance & they haven't had a single fuel theft since they had them fitted about 3 years ago  Wink
IP Logged
pinto

TD04 on a galaxy manifold ? whooooooosh !

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Jun 7th, 2008, 2:38am »

on May 22nd, 2008, 9:24pm, Pegasus wrote:
Apparently this type of thing is increasing.

Just seen in the paper that some forecourts are putting in automatic stingers (operated from within kiosk) that are activated by the front wheels (if driver ignores warning) and shreds the rears.  

Its already been used successfully

Well, the principle works until the price of a tank of petrol exceeds the price of two new tyres  Smiley lol

So...... middle of July then ?  Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.