Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 6:16pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Price of Scorpios »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Price of Scorpios
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Price of Scorpios  (Read 766 times)
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Price of Scorpios
« on: Jun 12th, 2008, 3:15am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

With the price of petrol, cost of living etc rising rapidly, it seems the cost of used Scorps seems to be following suit  Huh

I've been looking for a decent 2.3 Ultima estate for a few weeks now & just can't find one in good nick for an honest price Sad

Every one that I've seen seems to be way over-priced (according to Parkers price guide)  Huh

Looked at one today....'R'reg '97 aubergine Ultima...... in a local car dealer & it was described as 'Immaculate throughout'..........

....I gave the car a thorough going over & found that the R/O/S chassis rail, behind the isolator bush was totally rotton & there was a hole that I could poke my finger through at the F/O/S floor pan.

The coachwork didn't match properly....dealer had had the bonnet & a couple of doors resprayed, but the rest of the paint was dull...especially the rear bumper, which looked as though it had no laquer on it.

The coolant was brown & smelled like it had 'Wynns stop leak' in it.

The engine oil, although a good brown colour, seemed quite thick, like 20/50 & not the normal runny 5/30.

The drivers door had dropped & would only close if you really slammed it.

It had a brand new 450 amp battery.....that won't last very long  Wink

Passenger electric mirror didn't work, a '57' fault code on the climate control (normal) & a running lean 'P0171' fault code  Roll Eyes

Gearbox oil was nice & red though, the heater matrix wasn't blocked & the air con worked fine  Smiley

122K on the clock, with only a service history up to 50K, no MOT at the moment, but comes with a years MOT (& a rotton chassis rail  Roll Eyes) if you buy it ......
...........& maybe 6 months tax, who nows ?.....& a worthless 6 month warranty  Roll Eyes

All for a bargain £1695......... Shocked

He said he'd give me a £250 discount if I traded in the wifes reliable, trustworthy, passes every MOT, nice, tidy & clean with hardly any rust 'N' reg 2.0 GLX Mondeo estate  Huh

I think we'll be keeping the Mondeo for the moment.....it wasn't a very difficult decision  Roll Eyes...... Smiley
IP Logged
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

Re: Price of Scorpios
« Reply #1 on: Jun 12th, 2008, 6:25am »

Grin Grin

HE HE Dont blame you Jon, he probably got it from the local scrappies, changed the auto oil and emptied the ashtrays, 25 quid to his mate for a mickey mouse mot and Bobs you uncle...  What a bargain, i don't think...

How ye keeping buddie?
Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 12th, 2008, 10:24am »

JC.
If other Knowledgeable blokes rubbished the wares of these sharks on a regular basis,it just might steady their racket.Of course there is a possibility that they don't really know much about cars,other than how to make lots of money from them,if they know what they are palming off to the unwary then obviously a conscience bypass has been carried out !
           GOZZ
IP Logged
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jun 12th, 2008, 3:44pm »

Scorpio prices are crazy at the moment,especially the 16v versions & yes finding a good one without having to re mortgage is like searching for the holy grail ! ! .Thats why i,ve gone back to granadas for the time being.My latest find is a pre facelift 12v with 13 months mot & 2 months tax for £400  Smiley.Ok it,s not an ultima but it will do until the right car comes along for the right price.I think the thing is ,because the scorpio is such a unique car dealers think they can get away with charging a premium. When the cars have sat on the fourcourt for a few months the price will suddenly drop ,as if by magic  Wink  Smiley Smiley
IP Logged

Lord...Sometimes im not that bright
pinto

TD04 on a galaxy manifold ? whooooooosh !

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 13th, 2008, 11:06pm »

Given their age, some of the previous owner types and the hi spec equipment nature of scorps, thinking you'll find a spotless, faultless one for under £1000 is a bit silly TBH Smiley

There are a lot out there for chips, but they pretty much all have a skeleton or two in their cupboard - when buying, you realistically have to go with the thought of spanners in the back of your mind Smiley

The key is to find the right combination of noticable faults to drive the price down and realistic, reasonable repair costs - my 2300 Ghia X Scorp came into my possession for the princely sum of £104  Grin - admittedly, i bought it with a gearbox fault (that turned out to be low oil level caused by a loose jubilee clip on the input to the oil cooler) but with s/h auto units on the 'bay for £40 or less and a days work to fit I took a chance based on the condition of the rest of the car - no rot or rust to sills or arches, engine in A1 condition, etc  

Just waiting to find that 24V with a collapsed cat for £75 locally now.....  Roll Eyes Grin
IP Logged
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jun 14th, 2008, 8:24pm »

That makes 2 of us m8  Wink.TBH i really dont mind paying up to £2000 for a nice scorpio BUT it has to be exactly that .A nice scorpio !!!.All of my scorpios were in great condition (got a trophy for my last one  Wink ) & i did pay a little over the odd,s for them.what i object to is going to look at a alledgedly "mint" car only to find it in what i would class as a dog  Shocked.A couple of months ago i did a 320 mile round trip for an "showroom condition car".When i got there i could of cried.....Dents everywhere , peeling laquer, rattling engine , paint stained interior etc etc etc & that was advertised for £2250 !!!.so for now i,ll stick with my old granny until a nice one comes up locally.Might take a while but you know what they say.....The best things come to those who wait  Grin Grin Grin
IP Logged

Lord...Sometimes im not that bright
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.