Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 4:25pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Vehicle warranties a word of warning »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Vehicle warranties a word of warning
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Vehicle warranties a word of warning  (Read 3280 times)
cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

Vehicle warranties a word of warning
« on: Jun 29th, 2008, 8:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

For those of you who have warranties read on and you may save some money.
Two weaks ago I was pulling up outside my house and the brake pedal hit the floor so I stopped the car on the hand brake.
The pedal felt like it does when you bleed the brakes, that slight resistance as it pumps the fluid out.
I had a good look under the car and around the master cylinder area but could find no signs of a leak.
As some of you will remember I had to fork out around 3.5k for a gearbox not long after getting the car so I decided a warranty was the thing for me.
Anyway I rang the warranty company and explained the problem and it turns out that their nearest network garage is just round the corner so I carefully drove the car to them.
They diagnosed a faulty master cylinder and we got authorisation from the warranty people to replace it.
The local garage couldn't get the brakes to bleed so the contacted the local peugeot dealer to ask advice, turns out the car has to be attached to their diagnostic software in order to allow the abs system to bleed.
I paid for an independant recovery company to transport the car to the dealership.
This is where it gets scary. Peugeot garage diagnose a faulty abs unit and report their findings to the warranty company who want an independant inspection. the assessor agrees with peugeot and they contact the warranty people for the go ahead to complete the job.
Warranty company says NO ITS WEAR AND TEAR SO NOT COVERED. I get a phone call from the garage saying the abs unit is £1600 and its not covered what do we do with your car.
I ring the warranty company saying my policy booklet clearly states abs pump and cotrol unit are covered, it turns out the workshop manager said its more than likely that the O rings are perished within the abs unit. And this as far as the warranty company are concerned is wear and tear.
So at no point has anyone dismantled the unit, therefore it could just as easy be mechanical failure and at this point it would have been covered.
The whole point is the workshop managers choice of words has cost me £1600.
If you put a car in for warranty work make sure you get the garage to phone you before they phone the warranty company! If you put a car in for warranty work make sure you get the garage to phone you before they phone the warranty company! If you put a car in for warranty work make sure you get the garage to phone you before they phone the warranty company! If you put a car in for warranty work make sure you get the garage to phone you before they phone the warranty company! If you put a car in for warranty work make sure you get the garage to phone you before they phone the warranty company! If you put a car in for warranty work make sure you get the garage to phone you before they phone the warranty company! If you put a car in for warranty work make sure you get the garage to phone you before they phone the warranty company! If you put a car in for warranty work make sure you get the garage to phone you before they phone the warranty company! If you put a car in for warranty work make sure you get the garage to phone you before they phone the warranty company! If you put a car in for warranty work make sure you get the garage to phone you before they phone the warranty company! If you put a car in for warranty work make sure you get the garage to phone you before they phone the warranty company! If you put a car in for warranty work make sure you get the garage to phone you before they phone the warranty company! If you put a car in for warranty work make sure you get the garage to phone you before they phone the warranty company! If you put a car in for warranty work make sure you get the garage to phone you before they phone the warranty company!
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

Re: Vehicle warranties a word of warning
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29th, 2008, 9:05pm »

If he said perished rather than worn I wouldn’t class that as wear, I would have thought perishing is time/heat related and shouldn’t occur with a relatively new car.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jun 30th, 2008, 12:17am »

Warranties are a waste of money on a second hand car over a certain age, unless it's a main dealer warranty.......as most problems can be put down to wear & tear because it is out of the manufacturers warranty period  Sad

I may be wrong, but I don't see how a warranty company can insure a car over three years old against anything that isn't down to wear & tear  Undecided.....practically any part of a car is prone to failure after the initial warranty period has finished & it can all be put down to wear & tear  Roll Eyes

Reminds me of a recent run in with a second hand car dealer who was asking well over the odds for an 11 year old 2.3 Ultima estate. The price was apparently justified because it came with a 3 month warranty  Undecided

How can you warranty an 11 year old car against anything other than wear & tear ?.....if the engine had blown up a month after I had bought it, do you think that would be covered ?.....of course it wouldn't, it's 11 years old, it's wear & tear  Wink
IP Logged
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jun 30th, 2008, 11:48am »

I have to agree - from a previous experience about 25 years ago I got an extended warranty chucked in with my Porsche 924 - OK, it didn't cost me anything on top of the purchase price of the car ( which was quite a bit anyway for me at the time ! ).  
Problem was, anything that went wrong with the car was never covered - only the things that never go wrong were covered, but not if down to normal wear.  

In my mind these warranties are not worth the paper they are printed on. Angry

Sorry to hear you have had another large repair bill on the Peugeot, especially so soon after the £3.5k autobox episode. Cry

Personally I detest French cars and would never buy one. Sure you feel the same now.

Other cars I would avoid due to high repair and service costs are Audi and BMW.
Chap at work has an Audi S6 with a 4.2 V8 engine - cam belt change at 80,000 miles costs about £1000 ! Maybe that's why you see a lot of these for sale with just under 80,000 miles on the clock....a poisioned chalis for the unwary.  Shocked
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jun 30th, 2008, 12:18pm »

Mike you have hit the nail on the head mate!
Dont get me wrong when the car isnt playing up, its fantastic but I am now in a position where it can not be trusted and every time I look at it I feel sick especialy when I consider what my old 24v could have been like if I had spent all this money on it. Cry
I suppose the best thing would be to get rid but as my dad put it Ive spent all this money on it and the next owner has chance to get 10 years trouble free motoring.
Anyone with a crystal ball is welcome to send me a pm Huh
IP Logged
ScorpioWorld

I'm a YaBB newbie!

andyformby
View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 30th, 2008, 1:54pm »

I find used car warranties are worthless. how can you give a warranty on something that might not have full service history or might of had some abuse in its lifetime.
And remember warranty companies give bonuses for saving money!
IP Logged
scruffygyt

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 30th, 2008, 7:42pm »

hi scorpioworld there was a member trying to get in touch with you recently have a look at the posts in the news section
IP Logged

98 24v ultima (facelift) now sold & missing it
big_neil

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 1st, 2008, 4:16pm »

hello all ,my scorp has been covered by warranty direct since i bought it in aug 2001 all probs (Not many) have been dealt with in a excellent manner ,i cannot fault warranty direct on these matters one bit and found no probs at all with dealing with them. it,s had the usual scorp probs,new radiator,susp arms, top strut bushes and bearings.drop links,and a new thermistor probe and vacuum pump for the c.c, all done with no quibble whatsoever. am i unique?
IP Logged
cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jul 1st, 2008, 7:04pm »

Neil,
I am shocked thats the same company Shocked Shocked Shocked
IP Logged
cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jul 1st, 2008, 10:31pm »

Got the car back paid the bill myself and I am going to appeal against the wear and tear issue.
However things go from bad to worse When I rang the garage for an update the workshop manager told me the car was fully repaired and he had just handed it over for a full vallet. you can collect it about 5pm.
Thats nice I thought.
So off I went to pay up and get the car I  paid the bill and was told the car is overthe road in the car park, (this was a public car park with parking meters)
had a quick look round the car and realised that the vallet was obviously a rushed job but never mind it was never going to be as good as I would have done it.
As I opened the door I was confronted by dirty oily marks on the cream leather driver seat, the central arm rest and the doorcard. as well as oily boot marks on the cream carpet.
I was absolutely livid but decided not to go back in and raise the roof because I would have eneded up in a cell for the night.
When I got home I discovered a ding on the drivers door in almost exactly the same place as the one that appered on the passenger door when the gearbox was done,  
I did phone the dealershipand explain that this was not acceptable but all I got was so why didnt you come back in?
 I have experienced these marks many years ago when I was an apprentise and they are caused by opening the doors when the car is on the lift.
I am going up to the dealers first thing in the morning and the roof will be well and truley off!!!!!
IP Logged
big_neil

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Jul 2nd, 2008, 9:15pm »

al, wot can i say?in my case or anyone elses come to that i would have thought that susp arms and strut bearings etc would have been serviceable items and come under wear and tear but they were replaced with no quibble,mind you one was less than a year old and done under ford replacement policy.the only problem now if it is a one is as the car is coming up to 80,000mls the labour costs are only 80%of the total but i have had my money,s worth from warranty direct. incidentally not a lot of people realise that fords and other manufacturers  3 yr warranty does not actually cover a lot and you must read the small print .
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jul 3rd, 2008, 9:12am »

I'm with Neil on this one. I have had warranties from Warranty Direct on both S29 and the red one I had before. Both had radiators done under warranty (S29 had 2 before the warranty ran out) and it also had new disks on the front and a few other bits as well.

As for the marks on the leather seats and carpets; I would have been straight back into them regardless. Not going straight in has left it open for them to deny everything in my humble opinion!

Baz
IP Logged
cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jul 3rd, 2008, 1:46pm »

Baz,
You are right, I should have gone back in but my temper has got me in trouble before. All I wanted to do was get home and clean it.
I have been back to the dealer and because of the problems they are giving me the next service at parts only, no labour costs Smiley
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Jul 3rd, 2008, 9:46pm »

cossie_al.
Tell em you'll supply the service parts,and get em half price from your local factor !
        GOZZ.
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Jul 5th, 2008, 11:16pm »

i used to work in the motorbike trade and it seems the same principles apply; warranties arent worth the paper they're written on, Jonny, that garage charging over the odds because the car comes with a 3 month warranty.....a simple question to the seller; 'would that be the warranty that the car has to have by law'?.... Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Aardvark

Click here to make a clicking noise

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Jul 31st, 2008, 7:40pm »

Check out http://www.click4warranty.co.uk/contact-us.aspx

They cover some wear and tear items, not sure if so for 9+ year old Scorpios though but their warranties are great for newer cars.

(Edited spelling)
IP Logged

'95 Scorpio Ultima 2.0 16V - Tourmallard Green
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Aug 14th, 2008, 8:18pm »

Al, how's the Pug now? Got it sorted?
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Aug 16th, 2008, 10:00pm »

Hi Tibs,
As far as the brakes are concerned its repaired but as far as the warranty is concerned I have sacked them.
They point blank refused to pay, even for the master cylinder which they did originally agree to pay for.
The reason they gave was that a service was missed 18 months before I owned the car this is irrispective of the fact that I have had it serviced twice within 20 miles of the service schedule.
if you take a look at the website apparently it does not matter if the previous owner didnt keep upto date with the servicing as long as the new owner/policy holder does. Absolute pack of lies.
The best laugh I had was after I stopped the direct debit I got a phone call from them asking was I aware the monthly payment was overdue and did I have a credit card to hand so they could do it there and then.
I very politely (not) explained that they would never get another penny from me.
And here comes the punch line, I was told if I didn't make the payment by the end of the day I would no longer be covered.
No prizes for guessing what I said before I slammed the phone down!!!!!
IP Logged
cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Aug 17th, 2008, 8:36pm »

well thats it I have had my fill of french cars. Its now for sale on ebay.
So in a few days I will be looking for a low mileage diesel estate scorp.
I should be so lucky Cry Cry Cry
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: Aug 18th, 2008, 12:58am »

Hello Al. Sorry to hear that mate but can't blame you, I'd probably be thinking the same after all that. They seem to sell quite well, hope you get a decent price for it at least. d**n nice specced car, just a shame about the issues Undecided.

Any idea what you'll look for next?

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.