Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 4:24pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« What seems to be the trouble officer ? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   What seems to be the trouble officer ?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What seems to be the trouble officer ?  (Read 1609 times)
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

What seems to be the trouble officer ?
« on: Jun 29th, 2008, 8:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Got pulled over and breathlysed last week.

The reason  for the stop was my front Foglamps  being on when it wasn't foggy  ( it was dark though ).  
 It's an offence apparently !!

I've no problems with our boys in blue but I had the distinct impression they were  doing a number exercise and  needed  another punter to be breathylsed in order  to  meet their  daily/weekly/monthly  target  of stopped drivers.  

Any more examples of  nit-picking  Police  officiousness  as  a  excuse  for  a  stop ?
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

Re:  What seems to be the trouble officer ?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29th, 2008, 9:44pm »

Its illegal Smiley

Same as driving on full beam.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/sport_leisure/drivingfog_rac.shtml
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 29th, 2008, 10:55pm »

Floppy.
If the fog lights were at the same height as the headlamps you could have em on all the time,but the low level makes it an offence.There is no need for front foglamps these days as the clean air act has banished smog which was a serious problem.The original idea of foglamps was that they were very low to the ground and had a flat topped beam with no upward glare,the beam was short but broad and illuminated the side of the road as you literally crept along at about 15 mph.Today foglamps are a fashion accessory,and are not needed at all.Modern headlamps are far superior to the old stray beam types,and are all you need in what little fog we get.
       GOZZ.
IP Logged
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jun 30th, 2008, 1:12pm »

Erm, I think that's a fair cop tbh (sorry, ban pun).

If you're driving with fog lights on when it's not foggy then there's obvsiously something not right - knid of thing a drunk person might very well do!

Back on topic - got pulled over a couple of weeke ago for the simple fact "it's just unusual to see a young person driving such a big, powerful car sir".

Actually didn't mind being pulled over - nice to know if it gets nicked by some scrote it might attract the coppers attention.  Ended up having a right good chat about the car and the Westfield I'm building Smiley
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 30th, 2008, 1:29pm »

Ask Baz about tinted windows Wink
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Al_Sithi

'92 Rover 218 SLD

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 30th, 2008, 1:34pm »

I got stopped by a copper on foot as I was riding my motorbike down a hill towards him.

His explanation for flagging me down was that he thought my rear tyre was low on tread.

That is what I call good eyesight!
IP Logged
TRACEYS_LIMO

I'm a YaBB newbie

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jun 30th, 2008, 10:17pm »

it seems to be the norm around sussex to drive with them on, we locally call them d h**d lights sorry but when was it last foggy  Huh had my dip beam checked the other day always getting flashed by other drivers anyone else get this problem
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 1st, 2008, 7:03am »

The hights and distances of the fitting of fog lamps ( Front ) is HERE
well worth  reading  Grin
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 10th, 2008, 8:08pm »

Two great police stops recently.

1) Stopped for not wearing my seatbelt. Police lady leaned down: "you've just passed my colleague, he said you're not wearing a seatbelt". She stood in silence and awaited my response -  this put me in a difficult position because I had been wearing the seatbelt all along. I tactfully pointed out the obvious and she let me go. A total waste of two minutes.

2) Had been out filming a 'gangster' scene with a friend. It was a Thursday night, midnight. We were both dressed as mafia types. Random stop check. Full 10-minute vehicle check, lots of questions. Good job he let me go without searching the car; he'd have found a fake hand gun and a bundle of fake cash in the boot. That would have been tough to explain!

Good topic idea!

Dave
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 18th, 2008, 1:39am »

G'day Mr. Floppy Wink

Am I to understand from your text that while nudging 5mph over the limit on a quiet road should be punishable by death, it's ok to drive around with your fogs on all the time like the Beemer 3 Series and Astra/Saxo drivers do? Roll Eyes

Been pulled a couple of times (by the plod that is, no such luck with the women here in the Costa del Chav Undecided). All times in broad daylight, once while parked beside the river in Manningtree with the bonnet up changing a coilpack...young chap at open bonnet armed with roll of spanners looked suspicious apparently...

Is this your car, sir?

Nope, I just nicked it Roll Eyes

No, I didn't say that - dry sense of humor + plod Lips Sealed. Often drive late at night when the roads are quiet, strange I've never been pulled then Huh
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Daven

I'm a cheeky Boy! (Simmos fan club)

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: Aug 18th, 2008, 8:16am »

I got stopped once - the officer came to the window and told me a rear light was out, I said it wasn't - he said it was so I said it wasn't - at this point my wife leaned over and said "it's no good arguing with him officer - not after he's had a drink!" Shocked

Grin Grin
IP Logged
big_timer

2.3 manual ultima saloon

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Aug 18th, 2008, 9:12am »

a few years back myself and a few mates went out for an curry and a few pints of guinness to a highly recommended indian restaurant.on the way back the spices of the curry must have reacted with the hops of the guinness and it wasnt long before the blazing saddles "bean scene" started to happen resulting in  the car filling up with the aroma resembling an elephant house at the zoo.
the driver was a bit of a masachist and kept the windows up.coming into belfast city centre we were stopped a checkpoint(regular during the troubles).on opening the window the policemans face said it all reulting in him asking "is everyone alright in there?
ive never felt so sorry for a policeman before but him i did.
that was the quickest checkpoint ive ever been in  
thats one way of getting through a checkpoint. Grin Grin Grin
IP Logged

how can i soar with the eagles?
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Aug 18th, 2008, 9:49pm »

on Aug 18th, 2008, 9:12am, big_timer wrote:
a few years back myself and a few mates went out for an curry and a few pints of guinness to a highly recommended indian restaurant.on the way back the spices of the curry must have reacted with the hops of the guinness and it wasnt long before the blazing saddles "bean scene" started to happen resulting in  the car filling up with the aroma resembling an elephant house at the zoo.
the driver was a bit of a masachist and kept the windows up.coming into belfast city centre we were stopped a checkpoint(regular during the troubles).on opening the window the policemans face said it all reulting in him asking "is everyone alright in there?
ive never felt so sorry for a policeman before but him i did.
that was the quickest checkpoint ive ever been in  
thats one way of getting through a checkpoint. Grin Grin Grin

i wasn't sure if i should remove this post on the grounds of decency!!! ROFL
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Aug 18th, 2008, 10:11pm »

Wherever you may be, let your wind go free
In church or chapel, let it rattle
Holding mine was the death of me

My dear old aunt used to tell me that one when I was knee high Wink

I also know one about beans but  Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
big_timer

2.3 manual ultima saloon

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Aug 19th, 2008, 7:42am »

sorry Lips Sealed
IP Logged

how can i soar with the eagles?
cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Aug 25th, 2008, 10:02pm »

The last time I was stopped it whent like this,
The officer walked alongside the car as I wound down the window "Good afterble consternoon" I said,
Tell me sir "are you incharge of this vehicle"
I say "well its an automatic but I have to be here"
But on a serious note when I was the lofty age of 19yrs I had a vauxhall carlton 2.2cdi estate, What a lovely motor it was. However, I paid dearly for insurance.
But I was only stopped once while I owned it and it was the typical standard pull over procedure at first.
Copper walks up, I wind down the window
I am asked to turn off the engine and then get in the back off the police car
I was polite and cooperative when the legend of a question was asked
"does your dad know you are out in his car?"
Well it wasn't my dads car so I said "no he doesn't"
At that point the copper didnt even ask whos car it was he started preaching to me what I was likely to get for taking the car without the owners permission.
and then he asked me my name Obviously I told him my name and then he said we have already established your dad does not know you have taken his car so there is no point trying to pull that one where do you live? told him the address "So you live with your parents do you" no I said "that is where I live and that is where the car is registered to "
As all this was happening the other copper was going over the car and as he got back in the cop car he reported that all was fine.
I was told It would probably be best if we resolve all this at the station. I asked if I was being arrested and was told no but if you dont cooperate you will be!
For what I asked. The copper said for taking a car without the owners consent . I said but it is my car and not my dads you have obviously been on the radio and done a check here is my pay packet with my name on it and if you would like to follow me home I will show you the insurance and mot documents.
So I was taken in the police car to my house and prooved who I was and that the car was totally legal. At which point I was offered a lift back to the car and the copper spent the whole journey lectureing me about wasting police time.
As I got out of the police car I said it was you who made the assumption and not me!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.