Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 2:19pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« some idiot smashed my car up »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   some idiot smashed my car up
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: some idiot smashed my car up  (Read 990 times)
tonysteele

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

some idiot smashed my car up
« on: Nov 20th, 2008, 10:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi can some one please advise or help?
While I was sitting in the car at Tesco Bracknell petrol station the other night a lady in a bit of a rush decided to reversed into my car, i was patiently sitting there waiting to use my 5p off a litre token (yes I have enough tuna to last me to 2013) you may have guessed I drive a 3 litre, I purchased it in Feb. 2008, after driving a m reg 2 litre new shape for 4 years. I spent 3 months looking at over 65 cars until I decided to buy this car.
I paid £1800 for it, a L reg, a lot of money maybe but it was in very good nick, and as it was a Granada Scorpio estate auto one of the last to be built before they went to the new shape.
I put new tyres all way round and new discs, not because it really needed them just because she is a bit of a mover so I want to be able to stop as well as accelerate and go at reasonable speed well with in speed limit officer. The Monday before the starter motor missed a beat so AA out down there garage and a new starter fitted £285, on the following Wednesday this lovely lady reverses into me while I am sitting there chilling out to Jimmy Hendrix, the nice lady hit me so hard (hand brake on, in park) that the nice people from her insurance company have decided to write my car off and have sent me a cheque for £500 and I have to give the hire car back a crappy Saab 1.9i diesel auto, quite frankly it might be a brand new car with delivery mileage only when I got it, but I prefer my Granada/Scorpio the ride, acceleration, top speed etc the Saab is rubbish compared to my motor.
Please note I purchased this car for its ride and comfort, especially over sleeping policeman, ruts and pot holes (of which there are far to many) in the roads due to the fact that 4 years ago a lady drove into the back of my stationary car at a round about at the bottom of a long hill between Bracknell and Camberley from which I suffered a severe damaged back with 2 disc knocked out, I have been in agony for 4 years cannot work or do any tasks at all, gardening, walking without the aid of a walking stick, fixing my car, painting, etc etc, unable to sit I either stand or lye on the floor, I rarely sleep due to pain. I could go on, I can confirm it was a life changing experience the only injury that the young lady suffered was a mascara run up her right fore head, YES SHE WAS DOING HER MAKE UP, DOING 60MPH WHEN SHE HIT ME, besides righting off her mums car and mine she got no other punishment.  
My question / problem is can they do this to me, I doubt I could find a car as good, I expected it to do another 200, 000 miles, I know it was sound, a friend who is a mot inspector visits me every Friday on his way home and checks the car over for me, if he is not available his brother does it he is also a fully qualified mechanic and is the only person I would trust to do any mechanical work on my car. Can they fob me off with £ 500 I spent more then that on looking at cars before I brought this one?
Even the manager, at the garage where the insurance company wrote my car off, said he was surprised because my car was in obvious mint condition before the accident, I even have it valeted every month costing £50 because I am now denied the pleasure of cleaning my car  
Ps I also at great expense got ac sorted r12 r34 rubbish.  
Can they shaft me like this, I don’t want to go to all the trouble of looking for a replacement, especially with no car. The garage reckons it would cost £1400 to put right?  I am not fit I need my car it’s the only painful pleasure I have, is there nothing I can do? Weird really I got hurt in latest crash but I am more concerned about losing my car.  

thanks

tony

IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

Re: some idiot smashed my car up
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20th, 2008, 11:23pm »

Tony.
Insurers always"write off"damaged low value cars because commercial repairers charge exorbitant sums.You say you are disabled,therefore repairs would be a problem for you,but if I was faced with the same situation I would keep the car and mend it myself.Do you have a friend who could help you ?
There are a lot of Granada 3s in the scrapyards for parts,I wouldn't expect you have structural deformation in a reversing crash,therefore used parts should do the job.Did you have comprehensive insurance ? if so what had you valued it at ?
have you gone back to the insurers to remonstrate ? their first offer is seldom what they finally pay.
   Best O luck in your misery
        GOZZ.
IP Logged
Scorpio

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Nov 20th, 2008, 11:36pm »

Hi Tony, in a word NO!       NoNo
They can try it on with a £500 offer, as that is exactly what it is.
Gather all your receipts, bill of sale, service history, photos etc.. Collect evidence of the true value of the same vehicle in the same condition if you can find any that is. Remember market value.
Present shove it up them it to the robbers insurance company and stand firm. An thief assessment engineer will also need to valuate the car
If no joy complain to their governing body.
I represented an elderly lady close to our family in a similar scenario and she was eventually awarded £1800 more than the original offer.
Have you classic insurance on it by the way!
Beware it will become a waiting game!
Claim for everything you are entitled to, i.e injuries etc
Good luck Tony and i hope you can find a suitable replacement soon.

IP Logged

Savvy

98 Cosworth

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 21st, 2008, 12:00pm »

give europa a call. you will be very happy!

http://www.europaconsultants.co.uk/
IP Logged

VX220 2.2
Y Reg Cosworth Ultima
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 22nd, 2008, 11:10pm »

Take close notice of Adam and Savvy, don't back down, they will probably need 3 quotes for repair, so go in advance and get them from the best bodyshps.  You obviousley had no fault in the matter so you need to be fully compensated and they know it, that's why they sent the cheque.  Don't accept it.

All the best on this.....

Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Nov 24th, 2008, 8:04am »

Spoke to my Dad on this one -he's an insurance assessor.

He says as this is a "no fault" claim, you are entitled to have you vehicle repaired to the standard it was in before the other parties "negligence" caused the damage, regardless of cost.  

It's the princilple of negligence, no fault and no loss that stands here - hold your ground.

Now for a true story - I spent £1500 getting a D reg Sierra (I know, I just really like the car Wink restored, valued in the end @ £4000 by my insurance company when the book price as £600.  Taxi pulled out in front of me, ended up needing front wing, headlamp, indicator, bumper and bonnet - £1500 to repair.  His ins offered me £500 - stood my ground and got a cheque three months later for the full £2000 to get repaired at my choice of garage (on my insistence).
IP Logged
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 24th, 2008, 8:40am »

Same thing happened to me the other year while my car was parked outside my house.... All documented on this site.... Don't settle for less than you require, you don't have to lose your car for thier stupidity.... Wink

Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
Savvy

98 Cosworth

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 24th, 2008, 9:15am »

insurance companies will always try it on. they are a business at the end of the day and because it's down to them to make the offers, inevitably they are going to go for what's good for them.
i'm always reminded of that police program or other where this dude found the land rover he paid 15k for was stolen and technically owned by the insurance company as it was subject to a claim obviously.
the insurance company then said to the new owner he could buy it off them for 14k! this meant a 15k car would have cost him 29k
he replied with a silly offer of 1k. and they accepted it!!

my point being is, never take first offer from an insurance company!
IP Logged

VX220 2.2
Y Reg Cosworth Ultima
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.