Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 2:31pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Useful Information »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Useful Information
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Useful Information  (Read 639 times)
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

Useful Information
« on: Dec 20th, 2008, 1:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

As posted on the Caretakers Forum

Don't know if this has been posted before, but here goes anyway.

There was a tax allowance announced in the 2002 budget called the Childrens' Tax Allowance. Most people missed this because it was only in the small print. If you had a child living at home aged under 16 as at April 2002 then you will qualify - those who claimed at the time will have already been getting this allowance via an adjusted tax code. Most people didn't claim it.

My daughter was told about this by a friend in the Fire Service. Most people at his station have now applied and one has received a rebate of £1,040. My daughter rang her tax office, gave her NI number and after a quick check was told that she isn't already getting the allowance and they will send her a claim form.

I told the ladies in the school office today - they rang the tax people and all three should now get a rebate! One was also told that the tax office is getting hundreds of calls now that news is spreading.

The allowance must be claimed by end of January 2009. Only one person in the family can get it.

Hope it's of use to you.... Wink

pete

IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Re: Useful Information
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20th, 2008, 2:17pm »

We've been getting child tax allowance for a couple of years now, but we didn't know anything about it before that. It was my accountant who brought it to my attention & mentioned that we should be entitled to it. We tried to do a back claim of 18 months, but were told by the DWP that we could only make a back claim of up to 3 months  Huh

As usual with all these things, they never inform you of what you are entitled to, you have to find out for yourself  Roll Eyes

It might also be of interest that if your earnings are below a certain amount then you can also claim working tax credit. We now claim both child tax & working tax credits, which gives a nice little bonus in the bank account every 4 weeks  Smiley
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

Re: Useful Information
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20th, 2008, 9:15pm »

Pete.
Good info,as ex Fire Service I have some of the lads helping me in the funeral trade and will pass that on to them soonest.
 On a similar subject,any small business person paying business rates and with a low turnover can get 50% reduction.My accountant was unaware of this,I gleaned it from The Federation of Small Businesses of which I am a member.
        GOZZ.          

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.