Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 12:18pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Site Query »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Site Query
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Site Query  (Read 550 times)
pinto

TD04 on a galaxy manifold ? whooooooosh !

View Profile Email

Site Query
« on: Jan 20th, 2009, 12:07am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Just a query to peeps....

Does anyone else find that the site is reeeeeeally slow to load pages just recently ? or is it just me ?

IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

Re: Site Query
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20th, 2009, 12:54am »

Tends to vary, somewhere between slow & tedious Smiley
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 20th, 2009, 7:49am »

Its down to the connection to the states, NOT a lot we can do about it.

Steve is aware of the problem!

IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jan 21st, 2009, 3:32am »

It's a great site, probably one of the best car owners sites on the net. It's only real letdown is it's speed  Sad

Dave (Snoopy), why can't the big boss get a faster British server connection sorted out ?

Is it all down to lack of funds ?.....I notice that there doesn't seem to be any adverts at the top of the pages anymore for various companies. So there is obviously a loss in advertising revenue.

So does this site now purely run on the hope that members will donate ?....& if they don't, will it go offline, like it did a couple of years ago ?

Possibly the admin of this site could ask the big boss in America if he is really still interested in running this site, or would he be happier if it were run by someone else in this country who could set up a faster server ?

Seems to me that this website is getting slower all the time, & a slow website means less interest  Undecided

I assume I'm going to be berated for my comments in the morning  Roll Eyes by admin & possibly the big boss  Kiss.....but the only thing stopping this site from being the best owners site on the web is it's speed...or lack of it  Wink.... Smiley

IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 21st, 2009, 7:23am »

Your comments have been passed on to those who own and run the site/forum. I am sure that your constructive ideas will be answered.

I know from information that I have that this forum is relatively cheap to keep running compared to others which can cost upwards of £5k per annum. and considering the amount of bandwidth we use,that what we pay for this one is cheap. but Steve will be able to provide much more detailed information, I only administer the forum.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
admin
Administrator

The Big Boss

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jan 21st, 2009, 2:58pm »

Hi All

The biggest problem appears to be the state of the UK Internet infrastructure. The dedicated server that we use in Florida is only running at about 20% capacity - I'm talking to the hosting company about another upgrade to the hardware if I can raise the $300 for the setup but I don't think it will make that much difference.

As the UK ISPs are selling higher and higher bandwidths to the end customers, they are not upgrading their expensive insfrastructure and with on demand video services, things such as the BBC iPlayer and slingbox etc, the speed of accessing servers that are not housed on the backbone in London (Telehouse) or at a major NOC in New York can be variable.
I could move it to say Tiscali in the UK but then people using BT or any other ISP would have similar if not worse problems (and costs would increase which we are only just covering from donations). Having ads on pages other than the few Google ads, realy sucks and I don't want to pollute the site with them (plus it would slow down further).
A dedicated server in telehouse would run to around GBP 600 a month - way beyond the means of the site and owners.

So if we can raise the funds I can upgrade the hardware further to see if that helps - we could move it to a UK server to see if that improves matters but I'm doubtful as we could never afford really good hosting at a central location.

As it is we will be down to just a few pence left when I pay the hosting bill this week - when we were getting $2 to the pound the hosting was good value - now it's $1.3 it's getting more expensive.

Thanks all

Steve
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jan 21st, 2009, 6:49pm »

Thanks for the answers Steve.....it's always good to know the reasons behind why things work the way they do  Wink

Keep up the good work  Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.