Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 12:27pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Life after the Scorpio...... »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Life after the Scorpio......
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Life after the Scorpio......  (Read 878 times)
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

Life after the Scorpio......
« on: Feb 2nd, 2009, 9:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

We all know that nothing good lasts forever and as you may also know, S29COS is no more.....

Following on from a thread posted on the forum about 5 years ago by I believe Eric R (one of the founder members of the site and forum) I would be interested to see what people have finally swapped their Scorpios for and why....

I decided to get rid of mine after hours and hours of soul searching because after all; it was my best ever car (well I had 5 facelift Cosworths all together over the years) The light started to dim for me about 2 1/2 years ago when we broke down in France with a dodgy auto fluid cooler pipe which sprayed auto fluid out everywhere. Green flag funded the hire of a 2006 S Class Mercedes.... and I was hooked. When we finally got back to England with the Scorpio, driving it was never the same again despite having had the gearbox done and new cooler etc. I was always worried about taking a kourney incase something went wrong whereas previously I never thought twice about throwing the cases on the roof and heading down through France to Spain or over to Germany.

I secretly longed for an S Class although the £55,000.00 price tag was somewhat restrictive and even good second hand cars of the previous style were in excess of £16,000.00

However, last August I used the Scorpio to pull my old Corsair on a trailer down to the Corsair rally in Stratford and on the way back it blew a hose. The hose was the awkward one between the heads and after some due consideration I decided that I couldn't rely on S29 any more! I scoured the autotrader and found an S Class on an 03 plate (facelift type) it was a 3.2 diesel and it had 86k on the clock for less than what I had paid for my first ever Scorpio! and pretty good considering it had cost someone over £49,000.00 less than 5 years ago!

So that was it, I had found my worthy replacement with all the toys a man could want including double glazing!

My Scorpio is now helping to keep others on the road and putting some money back in the bank after paying out for the Merc.

I will of course continue to be on here for as long as everyone wants me!

What is your Scorpio replacement?
IP Logged
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

Re: Life after the Scorpio......
« Reply #1 on: Feb 3rd, 2009, 9:20am »

Hi Baz, You may already know that mine has been replaced too, I was wondering one day what I'd have to spend to get the equivelent of my 99 reg 2.3.  The next thing is that I found myself falling in love with a picture of an A8 Audi that was down in Berkshire for sale.  I wouldn't normally have looked at an Audi because I was allways under the impression they were overplayed, especially when everyone started going loopy over the Skoda Octavia, they became too popular.
However, I always liked a car out of the ordinary and because it had been converted for LPG running I (We) decided to go and take a butchers.... In the meantime I also found my present car with pretty much the same spec and also converted.  it was in Derbyshire so we decided to take a look at that too.
Needless to say, we never continued the journey to Berkshire for the Audi, we both fell in love with the BMW 7Series, 4.4ltr 8 cyls with ALL the toys and more.
I have had this car now fo 5 months and am really dead chuffed.....

Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
PeteB

2.0 16v Ultima Saloon RIP \ 2.5 TD Ultima Saloon

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Feb 3rd, 2009, 9:25am »

Aye I remember you selling yours pete if I had the cash at the time I would have snapped her up!

I'll confess I too have been looking at replacements, however I doubt I can stretch the funds to a Merc or BM.

I have been eyeing up a Hyundai XG30 near me I remember this car coming up on the forums before and I have read up on them seems a decent enough car. Plus at under a grand for an 02 plate seems a bit of a bargain Shocked Although if the government do bring in the tax increase that they were looking at before it would be £450 a year in tax!

Pete
IP Logged

gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 3rd, 2009, 9:26am »

Pete.
Did you get my PM re your Scorp,(gas gen) ?
      GOZZ.
IP Logged
pete from Hull

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 3rd, 2009, 10:05am »

on Feb 3rd, 2009, 9:26am, gozz wrote:
Pete.
Did you get my PM re your Scorp,(gas gen) ?
                               GOZZ.

Yes Gozz, just yesterday, I have been a little bit absent for the past few weeks what with one problem after another and illness, I'm gradually getting sorted now so I'll dig the papers out for you and post them soon....

Pm me your address again just incase I have lost it off my computer which has thrown a major wobblie....

In the meantime try this,  

http://www.prinsautogas.com/en/products/vsi-lpg/vsi-lpg.html

pete
IP Logged

LiverpaulH

My bird!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Feb 5th, 2009, 4:42pm »

Like Baz I decided my 97 scorp diesel estate ultima last year had to go after totting up what needed changing, new aircon pump, clutch on way out, 4 new tyres, and the main problem an oil leak getting worse, meaning the wife on my back.  

So it was replaced by a 2005 Mondeo 2.2 TDCI ST Estate, which I love, despite being front drive. To please my hankering for rear drive I still have my 2002 Ford Falcon 4.0 auto (aus import) which I use when I feel like a bit of loon driving with the rear out.

I always said that I'd struggle to replace the scorp with one car, so had to get two!!  

Paul Cool
IP Logged

Still hankering after a new scorpio- Aus BA Falcon, 5 years later and I still love it!
pete from Hull

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 6th, 2009, 7:05am »

on Feb 5th, 2009, 4:42pm, LiverpaulH wrote:
and the main problem an oil leak getting worse, meaning the wife on my back.  

I always said that I'd struggle to replace the scorp with one car, so had to get two!!  

Paul Cool

So I guess the Falcon has nice leather seats like the Scorp,.... Saves having to give the wife a piggy back all over the place....  ROFL ROFL ROFL  Grin

Pete
IP Logged

LiverpaulH

My bird!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Feb 6th, 2009, 9:12am »

on Feb 6th, 2009, 7:05am, peteHull wrote:
Saves having to give the wife a piggy back all over the place....  ROFL ROFL ROFL  Grin

Pete

Grin Grin Grin Grin

You've met her then! Wink
IP Logged

Still hankering after a new scorpio- Aus BA Falcon, 5 years later and I still love it!
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Feb 6th, 2009, 1:24pm »

The only thing I found to give me the same pleasure as the old scorp was an s S Type Jag, so last year started the search & eventually found the correct car hiding near Inverness, I had watched the owner trying to sell it for a couple of months (made redundant so he decided to emegrate) 2 days befor his flight we finally settled on a price, so off I flew to Inverness to collect it. I am now the very proud owner of a 4.2 V8 Supercharged S Type-R Jaguar, I love it to bits.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.