Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 1st, 2024, 4:17pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« E-Mail Notification ? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   E-Mail Notification ?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: E-Mail Notification ?  (Read 1051 times)
lesterlad aka Rodders

2.3 Ghia x Estate (Manual)

View Profile Email

E-Mail Notification ?
« on: Sep 2nd, 2009, 7:48am »

Can anyone tell me if the Notification of reply's to topics by e-mail is working ?
Since joining I have ticked > Check this if you wish to be notified of replies to this topic.< at the bottom of the page but I have never received anything in my e-mails informing me of a reply.
I have looked on the notification page and all the ones that I have ticked when replying are listed.

Just wondering if this is a Firefox thing and only works by using IE which I never use (only for updates to the PC)
IP Logged

There's are methods to my madness!!! I'm not sure what the methods are but there's definitely madness in them
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: E-Mail Notification ?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 2nd, 2009, 8:19am »

Don't know about this one! I have checked the forum settings and email notification is turned on . will ask Steve if he knows but I cannot see a reason why it is NOT working for you . Have you tried using IE as an alternative just to try it out. ( I know  firefox is so much better)
Unless your ISP is treating them as " junk" worth checking the settings on your email.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Sep 2nd, 2009, 10:37am »

It worked last time I had a PM although that was back on the 10th August.

I assume you clicked the button "save preferences" after selecting "yes" and that your email address hasn't changed.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
lesterlad aka Rodders

2.3 Ghia x Estate (Manual)

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 2nd, 2009, 8:08pm »

on Sep 2nd, 2009, 8:19am, Snoopy wrote:
Have you tried using IE as an alternative just to try it out.  
Unless your ISP is treating them as " junk" worth checking the settings on your email.

I am replying to this using IE, to see if if works.
I use Outlook2003 for my e-mail and all junk mail goes to it's own folder, checked in there and nothing from Ford Scorpio ever.

on Sep 2nd, 2009, 10:37am, Tompion wrote:
It worked last time I had a PM  

I assume you clicked the button "save preferences" after selecting "yes" and that your email address hasn't changed.

I get no e-mail notification of PM's either come to think of it.

If I alter anything I always click "save preferences" and e-mail addy has never changed for this site.
IP Logged

There's are methods to my madness!!! I'm not sure what the methods are but there's definitely madness in them
wojtekor

Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 2nd, 2009, 8:18pm »

Just to clarify: there is NO way that it is in any way related to the browser you are using, no matter IE,FF, O, Safari or unix text browsers like lynks.  

there is no forum in the world (script, system call it what you want Wink ) that's options vary or work or not depending on the browser.  

So that's not the cause lesterlad. Anyway the notifications work fine for me. Without access to the forum admin panel I can only suggest you to try to uncheck all your notification options you have checked, save it, then check the options you want again and save.  
The YaBB script generally is one of the worst you can find + there might be a database error (due to database restores etc) around your account settings, so reseting them, in the way described above might help.  

That's the only thing I can suggest with access to the forum core and the database... Anyway hope it will work.  

Quote:

Snoopy ISP has nothing to do with email accounts and emails you are or not receiving.  
The spam filtration is either automated by the anti-spam programs that can be used with the most common email clients like Outlook or Thunderbird or can be set by hand.  

If you are using a free email account as most of the Internet users do, like Gmail, Hotmail etc. then it is most likely that your email provider has set his own spam filter and you can access your spam folder (which is totally independent to the one you might have in Outlook etc if you are downloading your mails to your computer)  via the webmail application using your browser.

IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Sep 2nd, 2009, 9:58pm »

on Sep 2nd, 2009, 10:37am, Tompion wrote:
It worked last time I had a PM although that was back on the 10th August.

Sorry, thinking of the wrong thing. Grin
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
pinto

TD04 on a galaxy manifold ? whooooooosh !

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 3rd, 2009, 9:58pm »

Related but not on the same topic...

Any chance we could have the plugin that makes a popup reminder when a PM has been sent ? sometimes it can take me days to notice i have a new one Embarassed

Getting senile lol  Grin
IP Logged
wojtekor

Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 3rd, 2009, 10:32pm »

Good idea pinto Smiley  

Snoopy here is a link for such mod  

http://www.boardmod.org/mods/you_have_mail.mod

or search results:
http://www.boardmod.org/mods.php?cat=0&searchfor=pm&sortby=date& amp;start=20&ver=&modsperpage=20

The mod is called: You have mail (ShortMessage)
IP Logged
tlundkvi

Ex. Scorpio 2.9 24V -95

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Sep 4th, 2009, 7:00am »

on Sep 2nd, 2009, 8:18pm, wojtekor wrote:

Snoopy ISP has nothing to do with email accounts and emails you are or not receiving.  
The spam filtration is either automated by the anti-spam programs that can be used with the most common email clients like Outlook or Thunderbird or can be set by hand.  

Actually Snoopy is right. In my e-mail account the ISP has some pre-filtering & graylisting to prevent bulk/spam mail, similarly as Google mail. Never lost a forum notification mail, but they went into the spam folder because they don't vary in content except for the link-> ISP thought it was spam, until I had it whitelisted.

Some of these features can come with the broadband deal as a "security option package" or similar (don't know how they're marketed in the UK).

So, make sure they don't end up in the spamfolder, if not check with the ISP.

BTW:
Many forums have the option that a notification of a reply (if there are many) is sent only once unless the link has been visited. Could this be easy to turn on?
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 4th, 2009, 8:15am »

I will point the BOSS in the direction of this posting .

IP Logged

scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Sep 4th, 2009, 10:23pm »

hi there

please note that admin has passed this thread over to the site owner for his consideration.

regards
forum admin team
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Sep 5th, 2009, 8:18pm »

OK guys and Gals Here is the definitive answer Quote:
The  quick answer to the lost notifications is that some ISPs do spam blocking automatically and as the site continues to send emails to long dead accounts, there is a high probability that we get treated as spam. The answer is to either notify your ISP of the fact that mail from fordscorpio.co.uk is to be 'white listed" or to have another email account with gmail or hotmail that you use for site email.

I'll take a look at the boardmod for pm notifications and see if I can add it easily (we modded the original forum scripts so have to be careful adding mods that expect a vanilla forum codeset)

Regards

Steve
and second part  
Quote:
Just to let you know that I researched the 'you have mail mod' and unfortunately it won't work with our version of the code.

I would need to migrate everything across to the new software and I know that will break quite a few things so it's probably a non-starter.

I hope that clears up a few things for you all .

regards
Snoopy
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.