Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 8:26pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Energy efficient Bulbs »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Energy efficient Bulbs
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Energy efficient Bulbs  (Read 644 times)
tonyboy

black2.924Vcoss ( No More )

Tony+Redden   Tony+Redden
View Profile WWW Email

Energy efficient Bulbs
« on: Feb 24th, 2010, 7:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thought we was being energy efficient by putting these bulbs in the landing light, But now that it's in, instead of putting the normal 60W light bulb on ,and instant light,go upstairs, go toilet, come back down, turn it off,  
( around 3 to 5 mins depending what i'm doing ) these energy efficient bulbs take so long to get bright, that i leave it on all night so i can see where i'm going. So instead of using a normal 60W bulb for about 15 mins a night, i use a energy efficient bulb for about 6 hours a night.............  Huh
IP Logged

I think i'm going, erm what do you call it..... Senial.... Huh
tlundkvi

Ex. Scorpio 2.9 24V -95

View Profile

Re: Energy efficient Bulbs
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24th, 2010, 8:02pm »

Some environmentalists believe it's not enough to motivate people with lower energy costs. Just in case, there has to be laws making sure people make "the right choice".

All this energy savings... I have cut my energy consumption by 40% since year 2002. Only to see higher actual bills now than 8 years ago. The energy companies need to make the same cash as before, despite them selling less energy.  

I think this really depends a lot on the quality. I bear with it on the bulk ones, haven't seen this on the more expensive brands like Osram.
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Feb 25th, 2010, 3:23am »

After the bulbs have been used for a while they do get brighter alot quicker....They take time to wear in  Wink

We've got energy saving bulbs in most of the rooms & although they are nearly as bright as the old filament bulbs, they give off a different kind of light. For someone like me who is a bit short sighted & also has trouble focusing in artificial light, they make it even harder for me to focus & I'm sure they are the reason I get more headaches than I used to  Roll Eyes

There is of course a worldwide conspiracy theory here as well, which maybe proves that this is nothing to do with trying to save the planet & more to do with energy companies making more profits & the governments raking in more tax from those profits  Undecided......

Energy saving bulbs don't produce anywhere near as much heat as a filament bulb. So when the lights are on, a room fitted with filament bulbs is likely to be warmer than a room fitted with energy saving bulbs.

So when your energy saving bulb filled room gets a bit chilly (it may not have done if it had filament bulbs), what do you do ?......You turn on the central heating for a bit  Wink....The cost of firing up the gas boiler, or switching on the electric heater for a while is far more expensive than having a few filament bulbs switched on. That makes the energy companies & the government alot richer & it's actually worse for the environment, because those big power stations have to work that little bit harder & spew out a bit more of that burned fossil fuel & cause more pollution  Roll Eyes

So it could be said, that energy saving light bulbs may indirectly, actually contribute more towards the effects of global warming than their predecessors  Huh

P.S....since using these energy saving bulbs, I haven't seen my electric bills drop at all.....& my wife is turning the heating on more often to get rid of the 'chill in the room'  Roll Eyes
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 25th, 2010, 9:22am »

I reckon there is a lot of truth in all that JC,regarding the bulbs,they are supposed to last longer,but we have already had some failures,one within an hour of fitment.
If anything my leccy bill has increased since the inception of the wonder lamps,though I still have a prepayment meter for which I had to get disconnected when I was on 1970s Fire Brigade wages  Huh
            GOZZ.
IP Logged
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Mar 3rd, 2010, 12:11pm »

I don't switch on any lights at night - I have a bedside high power LED torch for moving about the house in the dark, checking on the kids etc.

Plus, I'm not old enough to need to pee in the middle of the night yet :-P
IP Logged
Conrad

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Mar 8th, 2010, 1:08am »

Some of those are worse than others, there's some outside my house that take at least 5 minutes before they're any use. they're on the walls of the sheds, and they glow a strange sort of orange for a bit. The ones in the house are alright mostly, but they've all been changed for pretty big ones as the first ones were far too weak and never produced enough light
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.