Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 7:11pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« cornwall to scotland drive »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   cornwall to scotland drive
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: cornwall to scotland drive  (Read 2266 times)
stuarte

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

cornwall to scotland drive
« on: Apr 15th, 2010, 9:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

im driving 500 plus miles to scotland each way in 2 weeks time, just realised thats bank holiday monday, will the M6 be busy, to see relatives on friday and back on monday.
can the scorpio do it, what do i need to check apart from water and oil and would you advise spliting the journey via a travelodge.
 what mpg can i expect, i have a rover 100 as well, do you reckon i do it in that car cause i get 45mpg with it, but uncomfy seats, both cars have 40,000 on clock
IP Logged
tonyboy

black2.924Vcoss ( No More )

Tony+Redden   Tony+Redden
View Profile WWW Email

Re: cornwall to scotland drive
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15th, 2010, 9:56pm »

On a journey like that you should get about 26 - 28 MPG. But if your traveling 500 + miles i would suggest that you get breakdown cover... Just in case...... I would imagine that most of the motorways are going to busy over the bank holiday period... what with the caravans and the road works.......
...... http://www.greenflag.com/breakdown-20.html?cmpid=/000/breakdown/ppc/goog le/breakdown_cover
IP Logged

I think i'm going, erm what do you call it..... Senial.... Huh
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 15th, 2010, 9:56pm »

Cornwall to Scotland is more then 500 miles one way id say its a good 600 or more depending where in Scotland,

your car should do the trip, make sure the spare tyre is inflated and the nut wrench actually undoes the nuts (its shocking how badly they fit, some even split!)

id give it a quick once over, oil, water, check the plugs, even a quick air filter and oil change if its not been done for a while, tyre pressures etc

as for mpg, what engine is it? a 24v set at just under 70 will push 30mpg

biggest risk believe it or not is you, a good supply of fresh air and if you need it stop 3 or 4 time for half hour and a coffee, as for the travel lodge, thats up to you, if you feel you can do it in one hit then go for it, if not dont lol,  

a tired driver is more dangerous then a drunk driver . . .  

the m6 has a stack of 50mph zones, some with active camera, even drops to 40 around bham
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 15th, 2010, 10:08pm »

hi there

i've done glasgow to devon easily enough in one go. as said earlier, just give the car a good check over and take a few breaks.

hth
IP Logged
stuarte

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Apr 15th, 2010, 10:09pm »

its 510 say dead to central scotland, i did the journey to tayside, 575 miles 6 months ago in an old mondeo, it took 9 hrs with 2 15 min stops, got tired at the 500 mile mark, thing is i drive a  bus 10 hrs a day, and im not likeing a 9hr car drive.
its a 2.9 12 valve, i have RAC cover, but will tow me home all the way,but if im say 1 mile short of scotland, they will actually tow me back to cornwall and not to scotland and back to cornwall on next day. my rover 100 is econonical but uncomy seats and has a loud bore exhaust on it, which booms in the cabin
IP Logged
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Apr 16th, 2010, 8:13am »

Hi Stuarte.  

One point;  if you do break down make sure that the RAC know that your Scorpio is an Automatic and cannot be towed.

Happy days.  I was a Bus Driver in Cornwall.  Newquay.  Loved it.

Mike

IP Logged
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Apr 16th, 2010, 11:26am »

The Scorpio will do it no problems - I did 650+ miles from Blackpool to the Nurburgring last summer in the Cossie - didn't even flinch and loved being pushed at 130 for 20mins on the autobahn Smiley  Felt fresh as a daisy when I got out at the other end Smiley

It's going back this year with a trailer attached with a Westfield on it Smiley
IP Logged
stuarte

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Apr 16th, 2010, 4:52pm »

quick question if i set cruise control to 70 am i doing 70 or do speedos have 10 % error as im really doing 63 and hence i should set it for 77.
worries from my days of owning cortinas when i was told to allow for 10% error, is this the case for 1995 scorpios or do 2010 cars have no error at all.

as for getting towed home rac use trailers also, when i got car it had no mot and trailered it, a local garage said tow it, after all neutral is neutral they said!!
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 16th, 2010, 6:39pm »

hi there

70 will be 63mph or there abouts.

best to leave it at the speedo reading as there's no way you'll be speeding, plus you'll get better mpg.

hth
IP Logged
stuarte

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Apr 16th, 2010, 6:54pm »

think you may be correct, as years ago my 2.8 capri did 105 in 3rd, wonder if it was really 105.
sometimes i drive thro one of those mobile speed signs that flash your speed and i check it with the speedo.  
my theory is drive at 80 on motorways cos the police tend to ignore folk at 80 and chase those doing the 100 and above.
IP Logged
tricky_dicky

1997 2.3 Ultima saloon

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Apr 17th, 2010, 4:07pm »

I did the journey the other way around in Feb (Fort William to Saltash) no probs in a 2.3. Returned 29 mpg avg with 5 adults and their luggage. I set the cruise to 70mph on the sat nav 74 on the clocks. It took 12 hours including rest breaks.
IP Logged
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Apr 17th, 2010, 5:47pm »

If your old Capri 2.8 was a four speed transmission, it would do just over the Ton in third true speed.   Mine was a Four speed.   The five speed Capri 2.8 would do not quite 95 in third.
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Apr 17th, 2010, 6:42pm »

Presume you're going up the West side? M5 and like that? Only might be worth a mention the A6 up to Carlisle might be worth investigating if M6 is busy. I used it once some years ago and it was virtually dead in comparison. But watch out for sheep!  
IP Logged

Mike H
stuarte

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Apr 17th, 2010, 10:02pm »

estimate £200 of fuel, but plane is £161 but theres two of us and when i get to scotland i dont want to rely on buses and taxis.
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Apr 18th, 2010, 11:58am »

I did Warrington to Argeles in the South of France a few times in my 24v.... £600 in fuel at the time (10 fillups) but I was never one to hang around when driving the Cosworth! total mileage was always in excess of 3000 on a trip like that.

The car always ran well until the final time we did it when the autocooler rad broke and we lost fluid everywhere!!
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Apr 18th, 2010, 5:31pm »

on Apr 15th, 2010, 9:34pm, stuarte wrote:
ijust realised thats bank holiday monday, will the M6 be busy, to see relatives on friday and back on monday.

To answer your original question, it will be absolutely Hellish!  

I drive the M6 regularly and wherever possible I try and avoid a Friday on a normal week because of traffic, bank holidays are horrendous, drive up on the Thursday night Wink
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Apr 18th, 2010, 6:14pm »

That's problee best idea to be honest.

Personally I try not to go out bank holidays Grin
IP Logged

Mike H
stuarte

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Apr 18th, 2010, 6:52pm »

hoping to leave cornwall at say 4am and it the worst of hit when im at least manchester, hopefully most will be heading to cornwall and not away from it
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Apr 18th, 2010, 7:52pm »

That certainly would be helpful! May not be flocking to airports either, come to think of it
IP Logged

Mike H
stuarte

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Apr 22nd, 2010, 9:02pm »

well morro is the day i choose plane, train or scorpio to head north next week. ive got to weigh up cost, reliability comfort, travelling around when i get there and tiredness. my fear is my scorpio is untested on long routes as ive had it just weeks.but i drive for a living and would love a rest. but i dont fancy the hassles of hiring a corsa in scotland and checking in at airports etc or sitting on a train for 9 hrs
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.