Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 2:14pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« No Smoking Rule »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   No Smoking Rule
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: No Smoking Rule  (Read 1125 times)
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

No Smoking Rule
« on: Oct 19th, 2010, 11:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Just a little note to anyone not in the know..

If you drive a company vehicle, van, car, lorry etc it must display a No Smoking sign.

The Police have been stopping a load of work vans in our area and handing out £200 on the spot fines for anyone not displaying one.

Even if its your own car/van and you dont smoke, if its for business use you need to have one.
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Re: No Smoking Rule
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20th, 2010, 4:00am »

I know  Wink.....I have to have them them on all passenger door windows so they are clearly seen when getting into the vehicle.

Bloody liberty....I can't even have a roll-up in the car on my way home after a long night....well I'm not supposed to anyway  Wink

Not sure why this country has stuck to these 'Brussels' laws so strictly, 'cos it's killing many businesses like country pubs etc. They've got to turn into swanky, yuppie/hooray henry attracting gastro pubs just to stay alive  Angry .......while the old regulars sit at home (about the only place you're allowed to smoke now), sipping beer from cans bought from the local Tesco extra while contemplating life & wondering what they've done wrong to suddenly be exiled from their local.

Other countries in the EU aren't so strict....Spain for example have the same laws, but they tend not to take much notice of them & they aren't heavily enforced. To do so would put a big burden on the already fragile economy as tourists numbers would no doubt dwindle.

My folks live in Spain & I've been going there for a few years now & since the Europe wide smoking ban came into force on July 1st 2007, I've not gone into one single bar that has a smoking ban. The local government for that area couldn't give a rats ass about Brussels legislation, because they know it would seriously affect their tourism industry.

Sorry to carry on, but this fascist style smoking ban in this country is a joke. Fair enough, non smokers don't want to be have to breath in cigarette smoke, which I can understand. But we have had smoking areas in pubs, bars & restaurants for years that have had perfectly adequate air conditioning & smoke extraction systems so as not to affect the non-smoker.

Okay, so if it's not a non-smoker argument, then it's a cost to the tax payer argument. Smokers are a burden on the NHS & it costs £3 billion a year to treat smoking related illnesses in hospitals....
Hang on though, the revenue to the treasury from the sale of tobacco products exceeds over £10 billion a year, so surely that argument is floored as well. If everyone gave up smoking, then there would be a £10 billion shortfall, which would mean higher taxes for everyone...smoker or non-smoker alike.

Cigarettes/tobacco/cigars ect is a perfectly legal product to buy, so why is the smoker being made to feel like a pariah in society. Drinking isn't viewed in the same way, even though it is a huge cause of domestic, social & violent problems in society & a massively huge burden on the NHS which literally dwarfs the smoking related illness costs......A&E on a Friday/Saturday night isn't full of people that have smoked too much  Wink

If they...the government or Brussels...consider smoking so heinous, then why don't they bring in legislation that will ban the sale of all tobacco products ?.....hmmmm, I wonder why not  Roll Eyes

I did hear recently that Mr Cameron was considering a change to the anti-smoking laws so businesses would be able to make a choice whether they wanted to enforce a smoking ban. But I suppose that was just heresay...a bit like his pre-election promise to bring back road tax exemption for classic vehicles over 25 years old  Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 20th, 2010, 8:15pm »

Long gone are the days when it was mainly just Friday / Saturday nights apparently! Every flippin' night of the week nowadays

I am reminded of a radio news item couple of weeks ago, when the smoking ban hit the pubs, it was expected that the non-smokers would come flooding in instead.

Oh what a surprise, they haven't, what went wrong there then

IP Logged

Mike H
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 20th, 2010, 10:33pm »

Yes JC,a very true epistle you write,I haven't smoked for about twenty years,but have always enjoyed the atmosphere of a good pub with plenty of banter and a smoky haze,that's what a boozer is/was all about,now more than half of my pals both male and female sit outside in the smoking shelter,excommunicated from the few of us who are allowed to sit inside in comfort,we only get a quick witty bit of repartee with them when they venture in to buy their drinks,only to creep back like lepers to their 'unclean' lair in the yard  Sad
My funeral cars MUST have no smoking stickers in,I've been busy removing them from any vehicles acquired with them in,big conglomerates of course having owned them before,no one wanting to be the fall guy when the no smoking sign police come calling  Roll Eyes
Loadacobblers guv,gitsup menose,after all we are British...........aren't we ??
        GOZZ.
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Oct 22nd, 2010, 3:15pm »

on Oct 20th, 2010, 10:33pm, gozz wrote:
Yes JC,a very true epistle you write

Well...when the mood takes you  Wink
IP Logged
tonyboy

black2.924Vcoss ( No More )

Tony+Redden   Tony+Redden
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 24th, 2010, 12:57pm »

The pubs should bring back the snug and bar. If you want to smoke you go in the bar, if you don't you go into the snug. This country makes my blood boil with what they do, wer'e not an empire no more wer'e just a puppet on a string, and with all the cuts the're doing, i hav'nt heared one mention to cut foriegn aid, to Africa, India, America, and who knows who else, and something else what gets me going is some country has a tragedy and every ones out collecting money for them, we have a tragedy like Brancaster, or when Northampton got flooded, A Lot of these people lost all of there possesions, No one came round collecting for those people..... GGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRR
IP Logged

I think i'm going, erm what do you call it..... Senial.... Huh
rich1

london cabbies have the knowledge!!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Oct 25th, 2010, 7:58pm »

jonny cab is right about spain , got back from tenerife yesterday and pretty much every bar lets you have an oilly with a drink , all very nice , just how it should be !!!
i cant smoke in my sherbert and apparently i cant even smoke leaning on the cab while im on a rank!!!  
im pretty sure the old bill have got more important things to worry about than a fella having a cigarette after a hard days work ........................the worlds gone mad !! think im moving to tenerife , much more civillised Smiley
IP Logged
Tenfut

White Cosworth Saloon

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Oct 25th, 2010, 8:14pm »

But ............

The law is changing in Spain on 2nd January ( should have been 1st but the government agreed a concession so as not to spoil New Years Eve!!) They will then have the same restrictions as we do.

I too have just come back from Mallorca where I know several bar owners who are all against the change
in the law. I am a non smoker myself but I honestly sympathise with those who wish to light up in a bar but are forced to stand outside. I somehow have a feeling that the Spaniards wont take this lying down.

Tony
IP Logged

Everything in moderation!!
rich1

london cabbies have the knowledge!!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Oct 26th, 2010, 8:00pm »

my old man lives in spain , theyve had a smoking ban already , but no one takes a blind bit of notice
IP Logged
a900one

A scorpio is for life not just for christmas

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 26th, 2010, 9:07pm »

Thanks highlander, was not aware that I could be fined for not having the sticker put up, none of the engineers where I work smokes. I have just been out to the van and stuck it on the dash.
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 27th, 2010, 12:45pm »

When's the revolution then? Grin

Dunno about anyone else but I've got a political manifesto a mile long

The country's feet would not touch the ground....

IP Logged

Mike H
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.