Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 1:16pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Student riots »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Student riots
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Student riots  (Read 1045 times)
tonyboy

black2.924Vcoss ( No More )

Tony+Redden   Tony+Redden
View Profile WWW Email

Student riots
« on: Dec 10th, 2010, 8:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

After all the damage that was done through London because of the student riots, but personally i think that the students wanted a peacefull march, i blame the activists. Anyway, with all the damage that was caused, shop windows smashed, cars set alight, probably will run into a few million £. And the the police said today that the people that threw paint at the royal car will be bought to justice and prosecuted. No mention of the yobs being bought to justice who started the riots and caused all the damage to property..............
IP Logged

I think i'm going, erm what do you call it..... Senial.... Huh
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

Re: Student riots
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11th, 2010, 11:46am »

I'm with both sides on this one  Grin

The students are being shafted and are right to demonstrate, I dont particularly agree with the damage being caused HOWEVER its about time the UK people started making their feelings shown and not just accept everything thats thrown at them.

From the Police point of view they should start shooting  as soon as the violence starts Grin
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 11th, 2010, 3:41pm »

The problem is, like always in life, you get the people who jump onto the bandwagon of a legitimate peaceful protest just to turn it into an excuse for lawlessness, look back at any protest movement in modern history and you'll see the same thing happening Undecided  

I doubt whether the vast majority of the protesters really truly understand what they're standing against, if you got them alone and asked them to explain in detail what the issues were, most of them wouldn't even have a clue. Seems that you end up with huge numbers of easily led people being carried along with the wave, just wanting to be part of something, the whole thing then gets out of hand and you end up with a full scale riot Undecided

There's NO excuse for lawlessness and criminal damage or for huge groups of thugs trying to create anarchy, I'm not even saying that I really agreed with them in the first place but any last ounce of repect and support they had from Joe public is gonna evaporate pretty quickly after what happened in London. The only people it's gonna hurt in the long run are the people who genunely felt the need to make a stand in the first place..

Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Dec 12th, 2010, 2:53am »

Okay, my belief of the attack on Prince Charles/Camilla, Churchills statue & lions of Trafalgar Square etc are not the work of bona-fide, intelligent & serious about their education students....but more the work of the anti-capitalist movement & militant students, who are hell bent on infiltrating any peaceful protest they can find & try & turn it into a vicious riotous mob onslaught with no discrimination ?

.....Or maybe they really are actually genuine students who think that mindless violence is going to sway a government vote ?...duh!!!....I hope not  Roll Eyes

These students are aggrieved & worrried because they are going to have to pay back their fees (interest free) once they get a job that pays over £21K. Any university student that doesn't think that they can eventually get a job that pays well over £21K should seriously think about what subject/s they are studying & if it will actually benefit them in any way in the future.

Media Studies....wotsat then ?  Tongue....'It's a way of opting out of getting a job or training for a job, so to get an apparent further education at the tax payers expense'.  
Course description....'You spend 2 years getting drunk & stoned in the student bar & the last year trying to salvage any hope of ever getting this simpletons degree....that is about as useful in getting any kind of job as an 11+ pass is'  Wink

The previous Labour government are responsible for this student uprising purely because they downgraded the grade level passes of exam results in a hopeless attempt to try an eradicate elitism & ensure that everyone was (apparently) clever enough to get a university place...then they turned all the polytechnics into universities.  
The end result is that we have way too many kids who think that they are really intelligent & want to go their local 'university' & better their futures with a university education....which they would like the tax payer to pay for  Huh

To be given the chance of going to university used to be & still should be a privilege (high exam pass rates) & not a right !! Education is only free up untill the age of 18 & after that, if you decide to go into further education then you should be prepared to fund yourself & not rely purely on government/tax payer handouts.  

So if these 'so called' students are really serious about the subjects they take & that these subjects are going to benefit them in their chosen careers, then why the problem of paying for the education ? Surely they must think that the initial cost will be outweighed by the future benefits....If I wanted to take a 'further education' course, then I'd have to pay for it  Wink

If these students arguments are that they are the future of this country  Huh...Then I think I'll move abroad  Grin
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 12th, 2010, 7:50pm »

You should be driving a black cab in London JC,I reckon you're wasted in Brentwood  Grin
      GOZZ.
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Dec 12th, 2010, 11:08pm »

JC.... I agree with what you say plus....

The Royal Protection Officers that were tailing the Rolls should be sacked because they did not do their job and protect the Royals.... they had guns they should have used them

Secondly, the proposal is to charge interest on the loans so they are not interest free.....

Stilll.... I was wondering if I could get away with charging 9 grand a year to train an apprentice instead of having to pay a 16 year old (who knows nothing and offers nothing to my business except someone to make the tea - at least until he is trained) instead of having to pay him the minimum wage.....

Makes sense to me!
IP Logged
rich1

london cabbies have the knowledge!!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Dec 16th, 2010, 9:28pm »

it doesnt say much for the uni that , that prat who swang off the flag on the cenotaph says he didnt know what it was!!!!!  
personally im with the old bill on this , how they show restraint in such circumstances is beyond me , id have cracked a few heads , they ran riot down regent st too smashing shop window and genrerally wrecking the place , why they have to do that is beyond me , any sympathy they may have soon gets worn away behaving like that . driving round parliment sq the following day was a shocker . they just ruined it , and some of the spelling was awful , they need to start studying a bit harder judging by what i saw !!!
IP Logged
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 16th, 2010, 9:37pm »

I agree with the majority of the previous posts..

I'm at the other end of the scale - currently going back to get the qualifications that I missed out on the first time around.

My secondary school was failing, by the time I started my GCSEs, the school was on the OFSTED list of top ten failing schools. Teachers left like rats on a sinking ship and we were left with agency teachers who had no idea what was going on - no dicipline, no sense of order, no curriculum. This was an inner city school, seemed that the remaining senior staff thought that most of the kids weren't gonna get very far anyway so there was no point trying..

Now I'm at the point in my life where I realise that I need a skill set which can get me by in later life. I can get by, but I KNOW that I need something for tomorrow if I want a good quality of life as I get older, especially if I ever stand a hope of leaving the UK and emigrating somewhere overseas, something which I'd very much like to be able to do one day.

I'm currently studying during the evenings at college (paid for by myself), at the moment doing foundation Maths and English, just to prove once again that I have the skills to move to the next level (eventually going for electrical engineering, hopefuly) - even my tutor says that apart from being a bit rusty in some areas, I don't need to be sitting them...but I need the pass grades from those courses to prove that I have those skills to get an opening for the higher courses.

Some of the people in my current classes are younger than me (I'm 26) - some of them struggle on really basic level fundamental stuff - simple spelling and punctuation, basic addition/subtraction etc. Tutor throws out a really simple question and they just don't know how to answer it. Something has gone badly wrong with the education system as a whole and it seems that a lot of people have been failed Undecided

My point? The trend of sending the world and his dog into further education just to make the whole system appear more inclusive and less elitist has just shifted the problems up to another level - it DOESN'T create more educated people OR improve the deal for the people who are content with just a basic state school education and to leave at 16, just more sham qualifications and hangers on who shouldn't even be in higher education in the first place. Now you have huge numbers of people leaving college and university still lacking the most fundamental skills which they need in everyday life, yet huge numbers of kids leaving the state school system who still don't have basic life skills - that's a crime.

That probably explains why I don't have a huge amount of sympathy with the protestors, some of these people don't even know they're born. If I followed their logic, people in my situation would be in London now, burning cars and creating anarchy, demanding that the government paid for my education again because they didn't make a very good job of it the first time around.. Wink

Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 16th, 2010, 9:42pm »

Rich, the police are in a no-win situation - d**ned if they do, d**ned if they don't.

After the furore surrounding the G20 riots, they had to be seen to show more restraint this time, then people complain that they're not using enough force. Now some guy gets clubbed over a bonce with a baton and people are shouting police brutality again Huh

The attack on the royal car should NEVER have happened, heads should roll for that one Undecided

Bruce.
IP Logged

Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Dec 19th, 2010, 10:11pm »

Tiberius,

part of the problem with education is the Nu Labour approach that everyone is equal and all deserve to go to uni. They dumbed down the education system so much so they could boast of increased exam results every year. The problem was, they were churning kids out who couldn't read and write whilst stifling the bright ones

Everyone is now so scared of saying to a kid "look, you aren't clever enough to go to uni" go and get a job instead....
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 19th, 2010, 11:50pm »

How very true Baz,someone other than Eastern Europeans has to do the groundwork keeping the basic systems together,to give youngsters ideas above their station can only increase unemployment in their ranks as they languish in bed dreaming of a university education without,as you say,the ability to string a sentence together  Roll Eyes
      GOZZ.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.