Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 7:19am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Car insurance again »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Car insurance again
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Car insurance again  (Read 8679 times)
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Car insurance again
« on: Jul 21st, 2011, 10:51am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I was at a road junction waiting to turn right onto a main road when a woman comming along the main road from my left decided to turn into the road I was on. On doing so she turned in too soon and hit the corner of my front bumper and smashing the headlight. The only dameage to her car was the paint off my bumper from the drivers door to the back wheel arch which could probably be T cut off and no dents suggesting I was stationary which I was. There were no independant witnesses.

My insurance company say if they can prove it is her fault they will repair the scorpio but if not it will be written off. They state that they only repair cars under 5 years old.

The policy says if I have a accident they will provide me with a hire car but they say they only supply a hire car whilst my car is being repaired.
As usual they seem to contradict themselves trying to get out of living up to thier contracts.

They are also suggesting I was using my car for work at the time which must be a joke as I am unemployed at the moment. I assume the outcome will be that the car is worth less the the excess so I will owe them money lol.

I hope once they decide what they are doing that they will let me buy it from them at less than scrap value so I can replace the bumper and headlight myself.
IP Logged
leewar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

Re: Car insurance again
« Reply #1 on: Jul 21st, 2011, 1:54pm »

Andy, If the other party owns up to the accident, then your car will be repaired at their cost plus any excesses that you may incur with no effect on your no claims. As to only repairing cars under five years old, that's total crap, take no notice off them. Once your car is in the repair shop, you will be provided with a replacement for the duration, they normally deliver it to you.  Lee
IP Logged
lesterlad aka Rodders

2.3 Ghia x Estate (Manual)

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 21st, 2011, 5:02pm »

on Jul 21st, 2011, 1:54pm, lleewar wrote:
Once your car is in the repair shop, you will be provided with a replacement for the duration, they normally deliver it to you.  Lee    

And I would demand a car that that is equal to or a higher spec than the Scorpio, don't get fobbed off with something like a Nissan Micra.........In my eyes a Jag or Merc would be acceptable........but hey ho that's me.

IP Logged

There's are methods to my madness!!! I'm not sure what the methods are but there's definitely madness in them
leewar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 21st, 2011, 6:56pm »

Rod, Seems like the insurance companies, unless you drive something like a rolls royce, give you a smallish car to keep costs down. They even state what car you could get in their policies. Shocked Shocked
IP Logged
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 22nd, 2011, 2:23am »

Well they told me Thursday morning they would call me in the afternoon to let me know when they were taking the car away but I am still waiting lol.

They now say I can have a small hire car if they repair the scorpio. If they write it off I get a Vauxhall astra for 21 days which I doubt will be long enough to get any money out of the insurance company and the scorpio back.
IP Logged
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jul 22nd, 2011, 3:16pm »

on Jul 21st, 2011, 5:02pm, lesterlad aka Rodders wrote:

And I would demand a car that that is equal to or a higher spec than the Scorpio, don't get fobbed off with something like a Nissan Micra.........In my eyes a Jag or Merc would be acceptable........but hey ho that's me.

I got a BMW 5 series when my Scorp was being repaired after a delivery driver clipped it (whilst parked) and scuffed the bumper/wing and smahed the headlamp.

They originaly offered a Kia Ceed - I told them they were having a laugh.

Cool
IP Logged
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jul 22nd, 2011, 3:55pm »

They are having a laugh it is 24 hrs after they were supposed to have taken the car away and after phoning them yet again they say they will have to call me back and that I can't have a car for the weekend to do my shopping with.
IP Logged
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jul 22nd, 2011, 4:49pm »

on Jul 22nd, 2011, 3:55pm, Andycan wrote:
I can't have a car for the weekend to do my shopping with.

Can't remember the last time I went shopping

http://www.ocado.com/webshop/startWebshop.do
IP Logged
Stixy

I should know better

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jul 22nd, 2011, 5:03pm »

Sorry to hear about the bump  Andy  

Before they take your Scorpio away ask where exactly its going .

I have heard of a couple of  people with older cars that have been in non fault bumps had there car collected by an agent of the insurance company and they asumed the car had gone to a pannel shop but it had realy been taken to the holding area of a salvage yard and they ended up loosing the car and being offered a next to nowt pay out
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Jul 22nd, 2011, 5:18pm »

Scorpioman's was taken from Glasgow to a holding yard in Galashiels, down the Borders! about 2 hours drive away!
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Jul 22nd, 2011, 5:42pm »

on Jul 22nd, 2011, 5:18pm, Highlander wrote:
Scorpioman's was taken from Glasgow to a holding yard in Galashiels, down the Borders! about 2 hours drive away!

Angry

and it got 2 more dents while it was there!!! Sad
IP Logged
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jul 22nd, 2011, 7:13pm »

It has all changed again now. After contacting the insurance company again they said the car will be inspected eventually. I contacted the AA who are the brokers and complained to them and they contacted their insurance problem team who contacted me to say the insurance told them the car will be inspected on Monday.  
I then get a call from a repairs garage saying they can't inspect the car till Wednesday. I contacted the AA again and told them the insurance company were now telling them lies and they were not amused.
They also stated if I ever got a hire car it would be a compact car so if it is too small because I am so tall they will be in trouble.

I also have to go the other side of Oxford Wednesday so told them I better have a hire car before then.

If I go in the scorpio it costs £70 for petrol and we can spend time with the kids and grandkids. If we go by public transport it will cost £240 with no time with them unless we stay all night in a B&B or if we come straight back another £30 for a taxi from the station as the buses stop at 5.30 pm and it is 17 miles from home.
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Jul 22nd, 2011, 8:01pm »

Crikey what sort of distance is involved for £240?
IP Logged

Mike H
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Jul 22nd, 2011, 8:37pm »

Perhaps he has to go to London first to get over to Oxfordshire.Public transport organisations would have us believe that if more people used them the price would drop  Grin Grin Grin  Roll Eyes.When I worked on service coaches back in the 60s they cost half the price of the railway,and in some cases were quicker because there were more direct routes.Everything seems to be mammaries to the sky these days  Roll Eyes
             GOZZ.
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Jul 23rd, 2011, 12:10pm »

Oh yes I can see that (via London)

I worked it out £70 of fuel is about 11 gallons (?) so looks like 300 miles round trip?

IP Logged

Mike H
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Jul 23rd, 2011, 3:03pm »

Hi there are 2 of us and need to catch a bus to Grimsby about a fiver each each way. Then train to Oxford changing at Sheffield and Birmingham as they are the cheapest tickets at £100 odd pounds each then a bus from Oxford to Witney not sure of the price.

Buses to Grimsby take a hour and start running about 6am which takes a hour then wiat at Grimsby for about 50 minutes for the train which takes 4 1/2 hours to get to Oxford then wait for a bus which I think takes about a hour to get to Witney. Last bus from Grimsby home is about 5.30 pm hence to go by public transport it is so much more than by car and takes twice as long as a car.

It is about 360 miles and just over 11 gallons in my 2 litre scorpio with 3 or 4 miles of traffic jams and 30 odd miles of 40 mph road works.
IP Logged
lesterlad aka Rodders

2.3 Ghia x Estate (Manual)

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Jul 23rd, 2011, 3:34pm »

So much for the Government wanting people to use public transport.
It's an just an utter joke at that price.
I think the last time I went on a train was when I went Skeggy for the day aged 10 and it was steam. Grin

As for buses, I used the local ones last January/Febuary, only because the Scorpio was off the road and I have a oap pass, otherwise I don't use them.
IP Logged

There's are methods to my madness!!! I'm not sure what the methods are but there's definitely madness in them
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Jul 23rd, 2011, 3:43pm »

I see your problem, Grimsby's a fair way off innit?

Bluddy hell I just went onto National Rail enquires, even on a Sunday Grimsby Town > Oxford, 2 adults, cheapest £141.80

IP Logged

Mike H
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Jul 23rd, 2011, 3:47pm »

And the best bit, earliest 14.03 PM, 5 hrs 38 mins....

IP Logged

Mike H
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Jul 23rd, 2011, 6:35pm »

Well BR wanted to improve the railways but government wouldn't let them have the money so sold them off so they would be improved quickly but some lines still have the old trains and the service and prices have never got any better and in some areas got a lot worse. Grantham only has 2 trains a week to Grimsby so the station and line must loose a lot of money.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.