Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 30th, 2024, 10:13pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« cant decide »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   cant decide
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: cant decide  (Read 4149 times)
rich1

london cabbies have the knowledge!!

View Profile

cant decide
« on: Sep 29th, 2011, 8:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

oh the dilema , been offered a lovely range rover , mint condition lpg converted , from a family friend , full service history the works . but i LOVE my scorpio to bits so i cant make my mind up whether to twist or stick . ive been down this road before , bought a lovely limited edition holland & holland r/r a few years back , but sold it because i doubled my money (not something that happens on a ten year old car very often) . i cant justify running 2 cars , so its make my mind time ................................................but it aint easy  Sad
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

Re: cant decide
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30th, 2011, 9:37am »

Rich.
Is there as good a forum as this for the Range Rover,whereby you could obtain really knowledgeable advice and cheap parts from people who genuinely want to help ?
Is the R/R old enough to attract a reasonable VEL rate ? I'm told that even on LPG the Rover V8 is still a glutton !
Bearing the above in mind,I always think that a change is as good as a rest when applied to your vehicle.Sounds as though you need to flip a coin to decide,but in your heart of hearts you really know which way you want to go eh.
               GOZZ.
IP Logged
Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 30th, 2011, 9:59am »

I've had loads of Range Rovers and Discoverys, still got one now....................

But unless you tow with it, (2 tonne boat & trailer), or live in the snowy sticks like I do, I wouldn't bother.

They are always far more of a money pit than my 2 Scorpio's ever were, (12V Saloon and 24V Estate).

Both cars returned decent MPG compared to the 4X4's.

If you really want a big juice guzzling 4X4 to take the kids to school and back, and go up the occasional kerb buy a 4.0 Litre Ford Explorer, I've got one of those too, although it's up for sale soon  Wink.....................

Drives and tows much better than the Landy's and performance of a Jaguar  Smiley
Fuel economy ??     Nope it doesn't do economy LOL

10 - 14 MPG running around locally, but to be fair to it it doesn't get out of 3rd gear that often, and I do rag the @rse off everything I drive  Grin
Better on a long run, but still hellish expensive on fuel Wink

Also as was said, watch the road tax, if it's after 2001 registration it'll likely cost a grand a year to tax it  Shocked

HTH,

Regards Dave
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 30th, 2011, 12:00pm »

Hmmm Range-Rover.

Nice idea, I had one with a 4.6 V8 and an LPG conversion, already done when I bought it.   The guy I bought it off said it did about 35 mpg, I never saw better than 25 mpg on a distance!   It also had the extra 'long-distance' tanks in the sills, these were a pain and gave no end of trouble.   Had lots of dash-board problems, and electrical problems with it, always expensive to fix.   Only kept it for one winter season, then a work-colleague wanted it, best day waving it good-bye.   I side with 'The Auld bare-footer', the Ford explorer would be a far better bet, Land Rover must think all there customers have large pockets!
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Sep 30th, 2011, 1:29pm »

on Sep 30th, 2011, 9:59am, Dave2302 wrote:
Also as was said, watch the road tax, if it's after 2001 registration it'll likely cost a grand a year to tax it  Shocked

No car costs a grand to retax and vehs registered between 2001 and 2006 are capped at £250 a year.
IP Logged
Dave2302

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 1st, 2011, 2:40pm »

Apologies if I'm wrong but I'm sure a local mates supercharged Range Rover tax is over a grand..............

When I bought the Explorer he said to me it was a good job it was a 2001 because if it was later it would be dearer to Tax  Wink

When I get time / reember I'll check DVLA

Cheers Dave
IP Logged

rich1

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Oct 1st, 2011, 8:39pm »

dilema over , im sticking with the scorpio . thought long and hard , and decided i just cant give up the scorpio .
regarding the tax , my last range rover was a 2000 and the tax was the same as the scorpio . anything pre 2001 is not taxed like the new motors , which although im thankful doesnt really make sense , surely these new range rovers and other big lumps are less polluting than the older ones  Huh
but then again when does things that goverments do ever make sense!!
IP Logged
Dave2302

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 3rd, 2011, 3:21pm »

Just checked with my mate with the New Range Rover,

It was the first years Tax that was £1000, after that the yearly renewals are £460, so apologies if I misled anyone, although nearly five hundred squids for a little paper disc is still daylight robbery  Sad

Cheers Dave
IP Logged

PJDavis

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 3rd, 2011, 5:40pm »

Aye Dave, so is £1.30 per litre (With me, I know you'll be more) for fuel!   Along with 55p per litre for sec28 heating oil.    Cry
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Oct 3rd, 2011, 8:01pm »

Looked into the VED bandings / costs a while back...hell will freeze over before I buy any vehicle registered after Feb 2001  Wink
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
Dave2302

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 3rd, 2011, 8:19pm »

Yep Agree with you both there  Wink

Diesel currently 146.9 ppl here  Shocked

I'm glad my "new" van does near 55 mpg, doing all my running around in that now  Wink

Cheers Dave
IP Logged

rich1

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Oct 22nd, 2011, 9:38pm »

£1,46 a litre !!!! were abouts in the country are you ?
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 23rd, 2011, 8:28am »

Bonnie Scotland! Cheesy , and he is in a relatively well populated area. If you go ALL the way up North to Durness then its well over £1.60 a litre
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Oct 23rd, 2011, 1:29pm »

Cleethorpes Tesco is £133.9 a litre where as Lincoln Tesco is only £130.9 and cleethorpes is closer to the refinary.

I noticed Cleethorpes Tesco put the price up 3p a litre when the do the 5p a litre off promotion but Lincoln doesn't suggesting Cleethorpes Tesco are ripoff merchants.
IP Logged
rich1

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Oct 23rd, 2011, 7:45pm »

sainsburys at beckton (east london) is £1.30.9 for petrol and £1.35 for diesel
still way to expensive but cheaper than most places
IP Logged
leewar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Oct 25th, 2011, 8:21am »

Good news, Tesco's Clacton petrol 129.9 Smiley Bad news, I live here Cry Sad
IP Logged
PJDavis

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Oct 25th, 2011, 9:08am »

Even though I'm far North, Asda/Sainsbury's/Tesco always seem to have a wee price-war on the go.   Asda Elgin is £1.30 just now, Tesco Elgin is £1.31, and Sainsbury's Nairn is £1.33.   So not bad.   I was over on Mull during the summer, fortunately the Gal's car does good mpg and we didn't need to buy fuel whilst on the Island, it was £1.61 for petrol.   I was recently in the Lake District and couldn't get it cheaper than £1.33.   This was at a place called Stockbridge and Tirril, where they have a pump attendant that pumps the gas through old-fashioned pumps with the analogue dials.
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
lesterlad aka Rodders

2.3 Ghia x Estate (Manual)

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Oct 25th, 2011, 2:47pm »

on Oct 25th, 2011, 9:08am, PJDavis wrote:
  This was at a place called Stockbridge and Tirril, where they have a pump attendant that pumps the gas through old-fashioned pumps with the analogue dials.  

Should have asked if they done old-fashioned prices to go with the pumps.  
 Grin
IP Logged

There's are methods to my madness!!! I'm not sure what the methods are but there's definitely madness in them
5stud

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Oct 27th, 2011, 10:19am »

dave 2302 ime with you on the landrover verses explorer.at the moment i am driveing a s reg explorer and having driven range rovers and discos the explorer in most ways is beter.ase fore economy its runing a mclaren  multi port lpg setup.around local its 35-38 mpg.last month we went from yeovi to dartford and back.315 miles on £45.28  of lpg plus £1.00 of petrol to warm it up to start with about 44 mpg
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.