Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 5:20am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« wildlife »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   wildlife
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: wildlife  (Read 3150 times)
5stud

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

wildlife
« on: Dec 12th, 2011, 11:51am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

looking out of the window in the sunshine at 11 oclock thie morning and thers a hawk chaseing a sparow whitch dives into a bush trimed like a xmas puding nextdoor .so fore the next 15 mintes the hawk is walking around on top of the bush trying to flush the sparow out fineley gives up and flyes off.thise is hapaning in the middel of yeovil and ther building houseis with a crane and diger acroos the road its times like thes you wish you hade a camera to hand.
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

Re: wildlife
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13th, 2011, 1:51pm »

Fantastic! We used to get an occasional kestrel grabbing a sparrow out of our back garden, then take it up into a tree and eat it

IP Logged

Mike H
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Dec 13th, 2011, 3:50pm »

Mike. I think it more likely that the bird was a Sparrowhawk and certainly the behaviour described by 5stud is typical of the species. Have a look Here. The Kestrel is more likely to take small rodents etc from a 'hover' position and thus is a familar sight over roadside verges etc. Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
5stud

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Dec 14th, 2011, 12:11pm »

brown in colour so must have been young or female .
IP Logged
bonnietiler

Sense of humour .... Essential!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Dec 14th, 2011, 3:14pm »

Has anybody ever seen "The Birds" Alfred Hitchthingy
?
Well, last Summer I saw something that I have never seen before, I was in the back garden and an almighty CACKLING started...magpie clearly
Then a strange mewing...like a cat...but then again not like one so to speak. I looked out the back door and a cat from over the road had a large Magpie which was still making an almighty racket, the cat started to drag the bird past next doors garden when I could see its problem....
It was being pursued by about 3 other magpies, wings out and making a similar noise to the captured one, they took it in turns to peck at the cat, by the time it had reached the next garden there were maybe 20 magpies in pursuit, but the telegraph wires were begining to sag at the arrival of what seemed like 100 birds every few seconds, 100's and 100's of crows and rooks and magpies,at this point the Rooks actually joined in and began dive-bombing the feline, the cat then got surrounded under a car and 3 or 4 dozen magpies charged under the car after "tiddles" who by this time had completely bottled it, the magpie escaped and flew in a slightly drunken fashion into the distance.
A girl from next door but one was in fits of tears at the noise and clearly distressed by just the amount of birds which arrived to extract some revenge.
Bonnietiler
IP Logged
bonnietiler

Sense of humour .... Essential!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Dec 14th, 2011, 3:38pm »

on Dec 14th, 2011, 3:14pm, bonnietiler wrote:

Has anybody ever seen "The Birds" Alfred Hitchthingy
Well, last Summer I saw something that I have never seen before, I was in the back garden and an almighty CACKLING started...magpie clearly
Then a strange mewing...like a cat...but then again not like one so to speak. I looked out the back door and a cat from over the road had a large Magpie which was still making an almighty racket, the cat started to drag the bird past next doors garden when I could see its problem....
It was being pursued by about 3 other magpies, wings out and making a similar noise to the captured one, they took it in turns to peck at the cat, by the time it had reached the next garden there were maybe 20 magpies in pursuit, but the telegraph wires were begining to sag at the arrival of what seemed like 100 birds every few seconds, 100's and 100's of crows and rooks and magpies,at this point the Rooks actually joined in and began dive-bombing the feline, the cat then got surrounded under a car and 3 or 4 dozen magpies charged under the car after "tiddles" who by this time had completely bottled it, the magpie escaped and flew in a slightly drunken fashion into the distance.
A girl from next door but one was in fits of tears at the noise and clearly distressed by just the amount of birds which arrived to extract some revenge.
Bonnietiler

IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 15th, 2011, 4:00pm »

No definitely a kestrel, it stayed still long enough for us to look it up in a birds book. Also as we live right by a dual carriageway you're right there too! Grin

IP Logged

Mike H
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.