Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 1st, 2024, 4:23am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Computor help »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Computor help
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Computor help  (Read 9884 times)
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

Re: Computor help
« Reply #20 on: Apr 9th, 2012, 9:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thanks for replies guys, i have wondered about formating re-installing Munder, ive got so much going on just now, with the pc full of info to do with 10 banks to fight for PPI claims etc,so a bit more highly strung than usual just now! i would be so worried that i might lose something, i realize that would be the best thing to do, instead of just poking around at it! but i will do that a  bit down the line, i think thats the answer, but ive not done it before, Thanks Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
munder

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #21 on: Apr 10th, 2012, 1:57am »

You're probably quite right, Bob, as you do need to take your time over ensuring you've backed up all the relevant data.  

If and when you do get around to reinstalling, it's a good idea to divide your hard drive into two partitions, install the system to one partition and keep the other for your data. That way you'll have very little to back up, should you need to reinstall at some later point.  

Also perhaps not a bad idea to get another drive (maybe an external one) and set up scheduled backups to that drive. In the meantime, good luck.
-Mick
IP Logged
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #22 on: Apr 10th, 2012, 12:18pm »

Thanks again Munder I'm thinking how nice it would be to have a fresh install! i have got a new spare hard drive but i could not get that to work as yet, it's all to do in the future, and good ideas there thanks, if i can get the new drive to operate i would feel happier! Thanks Snoopy just before i got your last reply i had taken off malewarebytes! but will put it on again, as for Microsoft Essentials , i have tried to put that on but the download page is somehow too big! so i can agree to run the program but cannot get low enough to even see Start or Accept! and i cannot move the page up! so i don't know whats going on there, All a mystery to me! but i have to get the PC to a state i can use it securely, to attack the banks for stealing my money! they owe me thousands!enough for a new PC! Thanks guys Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
munder

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #23 on: Apr 11th, 2012, 6:21pm »

Hello again, Bob.
It sounds like your PC's very wobbly. I can't advise as to what might be wrong with it, but I think from what you've said that you won't know how to get the data off the drive if Windows goes south. As you have essential data on it, I think you'd be well advised to copy all of those data to an external drive. You said you can't get your spare hard drive to work, but you probably could burn your data to CD or DVD, or copy them to floppies or a USB stick? That really does sound like an urgent priority.
Good luck,
Mick
IP Logged
munder

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #24 on: Apr 11th, 2012, 6:31pm »

Me again. A couple of thoughts (to try once you've got your data safely backed up):
1. Have you tried rolling back your PC to a date before all the problems started? If it has some nasty infection, that probably won't help, but it's worth a shot: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084
2. If that fails, then it might be that whatever you're attempting to use to kill the nasties will work better in Safe Mode: http://www.pbcomp.com.au/using-windows-safe-mode.html
IP Logged
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #25 on: Apr 12th, 2012, 10:11pm »

Hello Munder, thanks for that, i have had major problems tonight, i had an opportunity to update Internet Explorer 8, so took it, unfortunately System Mechanic went haywire! and i could not leave it running out of control, i contacted iolo, who emailed me with instructions how to take a screenshot! which involves going to accessories and then Paint! i don't have paint! So i shut the system mechanic down and have sent them another email. never rains etc. Bob,  But more importantly i have a beutifull baby grandaughter! Smiley
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
munder

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #26 on: Apr 13th, 2012, 12:46pm »

That's brilliant! (i.e. the last bit). My warmest congratulations. Puts the computer problems into perspective, I guess.
I'm a bit concerned that your computer's having a nervous breakdown (not to mention you), so I really would advise you to get your data on to external media asap.
(Preferably switch the d**ned thing off and spend some time with your granddaugther  Wink )
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #27 on: Apr 15th, 2012, 3:23pm »

I've started taking to using USB sticks for back-ups now. Can now get tens of gigabytes storage on a titchy USB stick for stupidly cheap money. To the computer it just looks like another drive, so is the proverbial portion of liquid yellow to copy stuff across. Grin

Own observation only ~ if it were me getting rid of System Mechanic would be high on my priority list, seems to be causing more problems than it's trying to solve. Sounds a right P. I. T. A...

Then using CCleaner, find and uninstall stuff that the PC doesn't actually need to function. If you don't know what the things are, search Google to see if Windows really needs that, sometimes Microsoft use third party names.

HTH
IP Logged

Mike H
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #28 on: Apr 16th, 2012, 4:46pm »

Thanks Mike. System Mechanic is a problem, it was tottaly out of control! so got in touch with head office in the states and yjey sent instructions for removing the old one and re-install, Well thats not simple! So i am leaning more to a fresh install, i did use micro essentials, that scanned 1.9990,000 files, no problems! but there is so much crap on this thing, ive had the PC since 04, and it was used then! i have to do it sooner or later, i do have a 320 gig back up drive, and i can just send documents,rather than copy and paste!and pics etc to that, and have tried a few files,   So i am thinking i am going to do that, so i guess i copy everything/ files etc. on my desktop to the Back up drive, anything i need to look out for? i need to do some reading for sure, Any further hints or tips guys, very gratefull Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #29 on: Apr 16th, 2012, 6:41pm »

I would ghost the drive or set up the installation on the new drive & leave the files on the old drive. However there can be problems with the second if you’re not sure what you’re doing.

You could try the file & settings transfer wizard assuming it’s on your XP installation – it should enable you to transfer emails etc to your new drive & transfer them back to the new installation.
Try pasting:

migwiz.exe

Into the run box
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #30 on: Apr 16th, 2012, 7:43pm »

Thanks Tompion, that look interesting, could be the tool to use!  I am going to make a few, a lot of notes, to help me get organised before i do anything, as i ve not done this before, i notice i can move Microsoft word as a complete file, and open all my documents in the back up drive, so that is encouraging,
Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #31 on: Apr 16th, 2012, 10:38pm »

You will need to reinstall Word and most other programs you have unless they’re part of the system installation disk/partition.
Most programs need to have entries put into the registry as part of the setup & you will probably need the serial number/s, just copying the Word folder to a new Windows installation won’t work.
Depending on your computer you may have a hidden partition on the drive with all the setup files on it for a clean installation however you may need to install Word from a disk. No hard & fast rules, just depends how your computer was originally supplied.

The reason I suggested installing Windows on your other disk was that you would still have the original setup to fall back on - however if the reinstall is from a hidden partition you may not be able to use a different drive, but like I said no hard & fast rules.

Did you try “rolling back your PC to a date before all the problems started” (System Restore) as suggested by Munder?  
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #32 on: Apr 17th, 2012, 8:51am »

Thanks again Tompion, When Munder kindlysuggested rolling back, at that time i was waiting for System Mechanic to email me about my faulty Mechanic, so did not want to roll back at that time and risk making things more complicated, Plus i don't know what i am doing!but SM suggested i unnistall, and re install the program, which involves Safe mode, Which Munder also suggested. but i am really set on a fresh install now. sort it out once and for all, i would not go with System Mechanic again, but i already paid for it! I also now use essentials, which makes me feel more secure, Word is the most important thing for me, i have so many letters templates etc which would cause major problems if i lost anything,  not sure i have the confidence to do this, and will consider a proffesional to pay,  
Thanks for all the advice, Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #33 on: Apr 21st, 2012, 10:30pm »

on Apr 16th, 2012, 10:38pm, Tompion wrote:
Most programs need to have entries put into the registry as part of the setup & you will probably need the serial number/s, just copying the Word folder to a new Windows installation won’t work.

That is true, need the install disks or whatever instead really.  

That, I would have thought, was the easy bit, it's the data files you want to preserve.

Dare I mention CCleaner again, I'd be itching to know what all the 'clag' was on it by now Grin

IP Logged

Mike H
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #34 on: Apr 21st, 2012, 10:39pm »

on Apr 17th, 2012, 8:51am, ro284 wrote:
Word is the most important thing for me, i have so many letters templates etc which would cause major problems if i lost anything,

Easy I would have thought, use Windows explorer to find the root folder where they're all stored in, I'm resuming it's in one basic location ~ though might in 'Documents', which is under 'Users' off C:\ ~ wherever it is, copy that folder to the second drive, the whole lot contained in that folder is copied.  Smiley

Might help as well if you had view all file types on, that's in Windows explorer 'Tools', 'Folder Options', 'View' tab. I'm using Vista but I don't think it's that much different.

IP Logged

Mike H
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #35 on: May 29th, 2012, 11:27am »

Thanks Mike, All a mystery to me! i have decided to go for a fresh install soon ,but am not competant at the moment so will get this done by a profesional! The machine is in a dreadfull state now, i Have System mechanic, Windows esentials.windows defender, anyway when i get reinstalled i have just noticed Windows Explorer 9! And wonder if that would be the way to go, while i am at it, may i ask you guys if you have experience of it? or would consider this, or stay with 7? or as i have 8!
Thanks Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #36 on: May 29th, 2012, 12:44pm »

Basic Windows works OK provided it's not messed about with too much.

By now I would have:

1. get a USB stick, find all me document type files, and copy the folders they're in to the USB to preserve the directory tree structures. (I also use file zipping [WinZip] to make the copies as small as possible so less chance of running out of back-up space.)

2. disable stuff that is giving Windows a headache (i.e., System Mechanic Grin )

3. put on CCleaner and look at the installed programs list. Look up each one in Google to find out what it is and if you really need it or not.

4. if don't need, bin it. (Uninstall).

5. do the usual CCleaner files clean-up and registry clean-ups. These are really quick and simple and don't need "technical knowledge".

6. find (CCleaner again) any start-up programs, disable those you don't really need. Think you can do the same for scheduled tasks (programs run by calendar date / time).

Hopefully this will try to get it back to a state where Windows is working properly again.

With Windows it's always a good idea to examine everything before it's installed, and have the option enabled to be notified about updates, not have them automatically install. So you can check them out first.

HTH
IP Logged

Mike H
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #37 on: Jun 6th, 2012, 2:07pm »

Thankyou for your help Mike, In spite of my brain shrinking, i have discovered a main problem! this was aol 9.1 running twice in task manager, overloading processes! i have now got another PC, a smaller memory, and downloaded a new version of aol, i have managed to copy photo files, and aol to the new PC. i have only put microsoft security essentials on the new pc, i did this using my freeagent drive, however i am lost with transferring microsoft word, and locating it.s file.  
The old pc is very noisy, this seems to be coming from the PSU cooling fan, so will try and get a new fan, the old pc has huge memory chips, which will be usefull when i get reinstalled, a step by step would be very helpfull, for copying microsoft word, if poss, Thanks again Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Scorpio

View Profile

« Reply #38 on: Jun 6th, 2012, 3:29pm »

Bob, if I have read this right. You want to transfer Microsoft Word from one machine to another ? MS Word is part of MS Office suite. You should have an installation CD for this with a product code/licence. If not a freeware alternative is Open Office. Just google OpenOffice and install the free .exe
IP Logged

ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #39 on: Jun 6th, 2012, 3:44pm »

Great thanks Adam, i am sure i already have the office cd, and know what to do now,  Wink  
Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.