Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 1st, 2024, 6:25am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 5000 members »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   5000 members
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 5000 members  (Read 1824 times)
lesterlad aka Rodders

2.3 Ghia x Estate (Manual)

View Profile Email

5000 members
« on: Jul 2nd, 2012, 3:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Two more new members and the site has 5000, where are they all, seems it's just those with Sorpioitis that use it now   Huh
IP Logged

There's are methods to my madness!!! I'm not sure what the methods are but there's definitely madness in them
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

Re: 5000 members
« Reply #1 on: Jul 2nd, 2012, 5:40pm »

i think most people sign up to see/use parts for sale, the scorpio is a good source for parts for kit cars/ engine conversions etc

i bet 60% have never made a post
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
leewar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 2nd, 2012, 5:46pm »

I wouldn't mind betting it's more than that Matt Smiley
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 2nd, 2012, 6:21pm »

I wish some hadn't over the years!! Grin
IP Logged
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 2nd, 2012, 6:58pm »

I think this site is fantastic.   You get to know the people that really engage in the site, and a lot of information is of course available.   My only critic is that it should be a closed site to those that don't contribute.   Maybe I'm wrong, I'm a member of a few motorcycling sites, and they are fairly private.   I just wonder how many people come in here and glean information from us then away they go.   Also how many are browsing.   I've been bitten a couple of times with newbies wanting stuff, hey-ho, I'd like to see a slightly stricter forum that makes threads more difficult to access for a non-member.   Just my opinion.

Peter
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
rich1

london cabbies have the knowledge!!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jul 2nd, 2012, 8:57pm »

I agree with pj i was a member of a range rover site a couple of years ago(before i came to my senses and bought another scorpio) and it was a shocker of a place , here you get proper advice and for someone like me who is a numpty with anything to do with cars is a god send , and your not made to feel like a prat unlike the r/r site . They seemed more concerned with taking the micheal . I said at the time , that this is a brilliant site with top notch people on it . Great car , great site . Keep up the great work people
IP Logged
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jul 2nd, 2012, 9:47pm »

Are there even 5000 Scorpios left Huh
Can't remember when I last saw one  Shocked
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 3rd, 2012, 7:25am »

When the forum and the web site was  first launched it was decided by the founders, Steve, PeteC and Eric R that it would be freely available for all to see and use, and that maxim still stands, but in to days internet savvy public I do understand the frustrations of it being open to all. I will raise this point with Steve.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jul 3rd, 2012, 9:35am »

Without this site...well I don't know what car I would have!  I love the Scorpio and own 3 of them.  

We are just about coming through the worst financial period of out lives during which with the aid of all the advice and information available on the Site and the invaluable contribution from our Scorpio owners I have been able to keep the only "hobby" if that is the right word that I have, or indeed can persue, that lets us get about in the comfort that we now need.

Scorpios are great cars, plus entertaining and mind boggiling cars.

Thank you everybody.

Eric R:  THE BEAST is still THE BEAST, a real beauty. I had the leather covers fitted professionally about 3 years ago. She is really lovely mate

Mike  Cool

IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Jul 3rd, 2012, 10:34am »

on Jul 2nd, 2012, 6:58pm, PJDavis wrote:
My only critic is that it should be a closed site to those that don't contribute.    I just wonder how many people come in here and glean information from us then away they go.   Also how many are browsing. I'd like to see a slightly stricter forum that makes threads more difficult to access for a non-member.   Just my opinion.

Trouble with that idea you'd have even more signing on just so they can access the topics, then b*gger off never to be seen again. So even bigger list of non-posting "members". Seen it before on another forum, must be a member to view anything apart from "intro" pages, thousands of "members" > 80% of which have never posted and never reappeared since the day they signed up.

Mind you the founding admin liked it cos it looked like his forum got lots of members Grin

Plus, these pages come up in Google searches which anyone can get in their results list.

In fact, it's often faster and more efficient that way than the forum's own search! Grin

IP Logged

Mike H
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Jul 3rd, 2012, 11:52am »

just have it so all 0 posters are automatically deleted after 3 months and set a post count before they can use the for sale and wanted sections

works for other forums
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
Jeff

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jul 3rd, 2012, 1:01pm »

We seem to enjoy a friendly, tolerant club here and I value that. I am in other forums for other cars etc, but none of them are as user friendly. I think if it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it.
The contributors here all seem polite and intelligent: this is not what is found on other sites in my experience, with jargon and slang and bad language appearing regularly.
This is a priceless site as I'm sure most will agree....I think it should stay that way and like the RNLI rely on donations!
IP Logged

2.9 Cosworth saloon and 2.3 saloon
admin
Administrator

The Big Boss

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jul 3rd, 2012, 3:24pm »

I think Jeff is right - the only choices really are to keep it free and rely on donations or to make it a 'pay for service'. The latter smacks of commercialization and personally I don't like it. Since we introduced the donation scheme, we have covered the costs of the hosting and mailing list services that we pay for, even though a little reminder has been used very occasionally Smiley - although of course there are probably 100 members out of the 5000 that have ever contributed and about 20 who do so on a regular basis - thanks of course to them all and you know who you are Smiley

So Status Quo I think - of course the site wouldn't be anything if it wasn't for the Moderators - they are the unsung heroes of the hour and the ones that I take my hat off too. Hip Hip ......

Steve
IP Logged
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jul 3rd, 2012, 3:41pm »

Grin Hooraaayy!!

Mike  Cool
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Jul 4th, 2012, 1:52pm »

Yep Grin
IP Logged

Mike H
leewar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Jul 4th, 2012, 11:08pm »

A suggestion regarding non-members gleaning parts/cars from the members on the site. Angry Why not make it a condition that either the non member buying the part contributes to the site( probably difficult to enforce) or the seller of the part adds a contribution to the selling price of the said part( say a tenner) to contribute to the site. This happy medium could well work and keep the site somewhat regularly financed. Smiley
IP Logged
Daniel

Best cars Ever!!!

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Jul 9th, 2012, 6:27pm »

Just want to say that this is the most helpful fourm i have ever been on. You really get to know the members and we have found a good freind in matt who not long after joining and he gave our new 24v a go over all for a cuppa!! Would like to meet you all one day and just thank you for the help youve given us over the years (before i was a member) keeping our scorpios on the road, and to have conversations with other people who know how good the scorpios are!! So thanks everyone. I do feel bad we cant help out more on the money side but as soonas we can we will.  
Dan  Grin
IP Logged

98 Facelift 2.3 Cuirass Ghia Estate 170k miles
97 pre facelift 24v Silver Ultima Saloon 24k miles
Technology2005

Scorpio 2.0 Ultima x 2

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Jul 10th, 2012, 7:25pm »

I was guilty of reading lots before finally posting, call it my natural shyness Roll Eyes but I was worried about looking a numpty too.

However, without this forum and all the great members I doubt I would be the proud owner of 2 scorpios AND be able to keep them going. Cheesy

All the advice and help with parts, not to mention the fantastic technical info on the main site makes the whole experience that much easier.

You really do feel like part of an owners club, but without the snobbery that sometimes goes with that.

For me the forum and site are run just about spot on and I applaud the owners and all the members who help with their time and advice.

David
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Jul 11th, 2012, 5:28pm »

Yep I'll go with that. Grin
IP Logged

Mike H
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.