Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 12:14pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« The end is nigh »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   The end is nigh
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The end is nigh  (Read 14691 times)
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

The end is nigh
« on: Sep 23rd, 2012, 3:15am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well.....looks like my 2.3 Ultima will be biting the dust soon  Cry

There's still plenty of life in the old girl & the body work is pretty good considering I've been using her as a taxi for nearly 7 years. But she is rapidly drawing close to retirement age now & I have to start thinking about a worthy replacement....something a bit quirky & uncommon (like the Scorpio)  Wink

After much looking around & not much cash to spend, I've kind of decided on a 2003-2005 Saab 9-5 ARC 2.2 TID auto as a worthy replacement.... similar spec (leather, climate control etc) & as big as the Scorpio with great economy.

Does anyone own or know someone that owns/has owned a Saab 9-5, that could offer any positive/negative testimonials ?

From what I've researched, spare parts seem to be just as readily available as most other car manufacturers parts & seem to be similarly priced  Smiley
IP Logged
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

Re: The end is nigh
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23rd, 2012, 12:31pm »

Brother in Law has a 9-5.   He says he's finding it increasingly difficult to get spares readily, and when he does find them they have gone up in price.
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
5stud

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Sep 24th, 2012, 10:45am »

seduced by a vauxhall vectra in drag.what is the world coming to.
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Oct 4th, 2012, 2:09am »

Sorry to anyone that read the posts that I deleted....but they were based on mis-informed data collected from various websites.

Yes, Saab 9-5 parts are expensive & to a certain extent, widely unavaliable.....but there are outlets if you source  Wink

Yes, the Saab 9-5 is a Vauxhall Vectra in drag to a certain extent....but then again, aren't many cars hybrids of others ?  Wink

Besides, I've gone off Saab 9-5s now....as they are uneconomical compared to other similar sized cars in that price range....the seats are also crappy compared to the earlier Saab 9000  Roll Eyes

I really don't wan't to get rid of my Scorpio because she is so comfy, reliable & cheap to fix (thanks to this site & Spikies Scorpios). But what do I replace her with  Huh

After nearly 7 years as a taxi, she is the longest lasting licensed Hackney carriage vehicle in the borough that I work in & has outlived all others.... Avensis, Mondeos, Vectras, Omegas, Rover 75s, Nissans, Jag X type, Merc E class & many more  Wink.....some are on their second, third or even forth car in the time that I've owned the Scorp  Grin

257,000 miles on the clock & she still passes every MOT & twice yearly council MOT which cars half her age seem to fail regularly.

She owes me nothing (no finance) & all she requires is petrol, oil & TLC.......so here's to another year  Cheesy

IP Logged
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 4th, 2012, 10:24am »

Then i have to ask, why replace her if she still fits the bill?

keep the old girl going, at least its something different to the normal drab thats out there
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Oct 4th, 2012, 10:26am »

on Oct 4th, 2012, 2:09am, Jonnycab wrote:
.......so here's to another year  Cheesy

Good choice JC Smiley better the car you know.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Scorpio

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Oct 4th, 2012, 2:41pm »

I like the spec on these as a Taxi.. This is lpg though. I'm sure Baz can give sound advice on them. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201229478949867/sort/defau lt/usedcars/fuel-type/lpg/model/s_class/make/mercedes-benz/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/page/1/postcode/bn207ng/radius/1501?logcode=p

Or even a diesel. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201239486369396/sort/defau lt/usedcars/fuel-type/diesel/model/s_class/make/mercedes-benz/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/radius/1501/page/1/postcode/bn207ng?logcode=p
IP Logged

Jeff

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Oct 4th, 2012, 9:19pm »

It seems to me all us Scorpio owners will be facing the same dilemma sooner or later: what next?
We may well be able to find something with better (or at least, more modern) styling but I doubt if much else will be an improvement.
Economy might be better...I was in the wife's VW Eos today, 2 litre turbo, fast and powerful (and only 4 cylinders, poor thing). But I had the proverbial BMW up me backside in spite of flooring it away from the r/a/b, so I let him through. When I caught him up at the next r/a/b it was a 535 Diesel...it had rocketed past, and I was moving. Probably enjoying 45 mpg as well as considering himself the best driver and car on the road. So that might be something we can look forward to: less visits to the pumps. Anybody think of owt else?
I will look to the Japs probably - perhaps a Lexus. But not just yet...mine's only done 80k.
IP Logged

2.9 Cosworth saloon and 2.3 saloon
Daniel

Best cars Ever!!!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Oct 5th, 2012, 8:27am »

I would not touch a bm at all!!! When i was at school my teacher brought a brand new bm 1series and after 3 monhs it needed a new engine!!! Shocked then about a month ago a freind of my mom and dads phoned for us to pick him up because his M5 diesel's engine blew up!!! if you look for bms for sale you will see some that say new engine or recently repaired engine  Roll Eyes Anyway jonnycab i hope you get many more  years out of your scorpio mate well done for keeping it  Grin  
Dan
IP Logged

98 Facelift 2.3 Cuirass Ghia Estate 170k miles
97 pre facelift 24v Silver Ultima Saloon 24k miles
5stud

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Oct 5th, 2012, 8:58am »

is the council test more on condition .dirt-dents rips
IP Logged
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 5th, 2012, 10:13am »

if i was to get rid of the cossie there will be 2 options to replace it, XJ jag or a yankie ford crown victoria, had a play with one at ford fair, supprising good you know... apart from the wheel being on the wrong side of the car lol
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Oct 5th, 2012, 5:16pm »

on Oct 5th, 2012, 8:58am, 5stud wrote:
is the council test more on condition .dirt-dents rips

The council test is really just an MOT plus general condition & cleanliness, although small dings aren't really a big issue as they are classed as occupational battle scars  Wink
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Oct 5th, 2012, 8:12pm »

on Oct 5th, 2012, 5:16pm, Jonnycab wrote:

they are classed as occupational battle scars  Wink

Bit like New Years Eve at Golf Clubs!!!!!!. Grin Cheesy
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
rich1

london cabbies have the knowledge!!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Oct 6th, 2012, 10:20pm »

on Oct 5th, 2012, 10:13am, Matt wrote:
if i was to get rid of the cossie there will be 2 options to replace it, XJ jag or a yankie ford crown victoria, had a play with one at ford fair, supprising good you know... apart from the wheel being on the wrong side of the car lol

Id like one of those crown vics , they sort of remind of a scorpio a bit (in my wierd mind anyway)  

But if i couldnt have one of those i think it'd be back to the range rover for me , juicy i know but THE most comfortable car on the road ,better even than the scorpio , only downside to the range rover is the forums , when i had my holland&holland i scoured the web for forums but sadly they where filled with numptys more intrested in taking the p### than offering advice . It just proved to me that this site is by far the best of its kind . So for that reason lets keep these great motors on the road for as long as possible please !!!
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Oct 7th, 2012, 2:56am »

on Oct 5th, 2012, 8:12pm, Simmo wrote:

Bit like New Years Eve at Golf Clubs!!!!!!. Grin Cheesy

That's why I don't play golf  Grin
IP Logged
a900one

A scorpio is for life not just for christmas

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Oct 13th, 2012, 11:06pm »

I have an EOS 2.0 tdi as well as the cossie, and at the moment the granada scorp. Can the BMW drop the roof, the reason I bought the EOS, NO. The BM may be quicker than the EOS but, 50mpg and open top motoring, what a joy, and most people dont think your a d--k. Grin Grin Grin
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Oct 24th, 2012, 10:21pm »

Jon, I did the Rover 75/ZT thing for a while. I currently have a late ('05) MG ZT 160 Turbo for a daily driver (which I've just about sold...but that's another story Roll Eyes).

I bought the ZT when I changed jobs last year, it's handy to get me to engineering college once a week and to work, has a fun factor because it's turbo'd and the suspension setup is quite stiff and it's running on rubber band tyres, it's actually quite a heavy car but feels more nimble and handles better than my Mondeos did. It's kinda quick off the mark (0-60 in 8.5 sec) but it's no rocket by any means - more like enough when you get tailgated by the average Astra on back roads but not to keep up with higher end cars. The V6 I had was alright but again no rocket and was thirsty.

Not bad little cars but have a fair few design faults and rough edges, not sure I'd fall for another Smiley

75 is more of a step-up from a Mondeo, Scorpio is more toward premium car territory in my opinion. Less road noise, better driving position, rear wheel drive, better audio system, etc etc.

If the rust isn't an issue and it's still proving reliable, I'd keep the Scorpio a while longer.

Bruce Smiley.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Oct 25th, 2012, 3:47am »

Nice to see you pop in again Bruce  Wink

Rust has been an issue for a while, especially on the sills & rear wheel arches. The sills look like a patchwork quilt....but sprayed with black stone chip, so doesn't notice too much. I've patched up the R/N/S wheel arch & just have the O/S/R wheel arch to do. So she will still look very presentable for a while  Wink

But I'm now already starting to look around again for a replacement  Sad.....I hate to admit it, but I've got to face the fact that she is now almost 15 years old & really is getting too old to use as a taxi anymore.

The inevitable will probably happen sooner rather than later to be honest (within a few months). I really need something more economical & modern if I am to attract any new regular business.

I find myself being drawn back to buying a Saab 9-5 again (I quite like the look), but also, the Volvo S80 bi-fuel or diesel has also caught my eye recently.......It's a real dilemma  Roll Eyes

P.S....I know a few taxi drivers who have owned Rover 75s, & they are absolute money pits. Economical they might be, but the suspension is made of fine glass....one pothole & that's it  Roll Eyes
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Oct 26th, 2012, 10:23pm »

on Oct 25th, 2012, 3:47am, Jonnycab wrote:
P.S....I know a few taxi drivers who have owned Rover 75s, & they are absolute money pits. Economical they might be, but the suspension is made of fine glass....one small pothole & that's it  Roll Eyes

Suspension on mine was alright, but I had grief with the rest of the car when I first bought it (heavy clutch, electrics filling with water, losing coolant, bad misfire, etc etc). It's been fine since I fixed it up, but those things shouldn't have gone wrong on a 50k mile 1 owner car Undecided

The overall build quality (bodyshell etc) is quite high, it's let down by the quality of some of the parts.

From a driver's point of view, if I had to pick one major gripe it would be the visibility - the A pillars are as thick as tree trunks, one helluva blind spot on roundabouts and when pulling out of turnings, nearly come to grief a few times when I first owned them. Rear vis not much better either. I guess you could say the same about a few new cars, but IMO it seriously needed a rethink Sad

They certainly aren't a bad car but on the surface they look better than they really are, bit of a sheep in wolf's clothing in some respects Smiley

My 1.8T isn't economical - fun in a boy racer kind of way, nice and smooth for a 16v, turbo whoosh is nice, but it has the thirst of an alcoholic nun Grin

Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Mar 13th, 2013, 4:10am »

Here we go again....thinking of a change. The old girl's got 264,000 miles on her now & I fear not too many more as a taxi  Sad

Although she passed the MOT a couple of weeks ago & a council inspection 2 weeks before that, I fear that she won't last much longer as a taxi & needs to be retired & enjoy a less strenuous life. The autobox is giving indications that it would prefer a quieter life, the engine is using & leaking oil, the wishbone bushes (& most likely balljoints as well) are starting to go again (MOT advisory & last replaced 120K miles ago) & rusting wheel arches & sills are an ongoing & tedious chore.

The real reason though, & I hate to admit it, is that after seven years, I'm just plain bored of driving her every day...I fancy something different  Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.