Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 30th, 2024, 10:22pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« The end is now »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   The end is now
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The end is now  (Read 3756 times)
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

The end is now
« on: Apr 15th, 2013, 4:37am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

That's it....kaput....no more Scorpio  Sad  

The old girl has run her last race, fought her last battle, flown her last flight & sailed her last voyage....& just like every good retired workhorse, it will be chopped up & recycled  Wink

With 265,000 miles on her, last week she suddenly started developing alot of problems all at once, most notably both wishbones clonking, N/S/F strut leaking & autobox slipping.

Reality check & logic says it really is not worth wasting anymore time or money trying to keep the old girl going as a taxi.....you have to throw the towel in at some point  Wink

Spikies Scorpios will have her to break & there are a few good/new bits on her including a brand new inlet manifold/injectors/throttle/fuel pressure regulator/sensors all fitted two years ago & brand new genuine Ford radiator also fitted two years ago & other bits. I'd break it myself if I had the room  Roll Eyes

Anyway....I've bought a new car to replace her, although it's not really a worthy replacement. It doesn't have the spec & prestige of the Scorpio Ultima, or have the very generous amount of rear legroom, but it's the best I could find on the budget that I have.  

So as a taxi driver, I'm going to have to put up with people almost breathing down my neck, as it were. But it's something I'll have to get used to I suppose....like a lifestyle change, or new beginning....& in time, I might forget about the Scorpio & grow to like my new car  Wink

Besides, I've still got the Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (more toys than the Scorpio) to love, cherish, repair & spend money on, on a regular basis. In fact, I've just fitted a Mopar stainless steel bull bar & Mopar stainless steel side bars  Cheesy

Anyway, "so what have you bought JC ?" I hear you all asking.  
It's the car I was considering buying to start with, but then didn't consider anymore....but then reconsidered (due to lack of suitable vehicles in the price range).

This.....

Saab 9-5 Vector 2.2 TiD auto, 05 reg. Full stamped service history (most of it Saab dealer, last two independant), full years MOT, taxed until October, half leather seats. Not a dent, scratch or blemish on the bodywork. Does 30 mpg around town, 40 mpg combined & 50 mpg on a run hopefully....£2000  Smiley

Yea, I know it's a Vectra with a boob job. But it was still built in the Saab factory in Sweden....so it's a top class boob job  Grin
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: The end is now
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15th, 2013, 6:20am »

JC, that is indeed sad news but hopefully you'll stay in touch on here. I'm sure we all wish you well with the new car. I take it you checked out the steering rack !!  Cheesy Grin Good luck, Mike.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 15th, 2013, 8:34am »

I think it fair to say the old Scorp doesn't owe you a lot JC,knowing your care policy there is a fair chance the SAAB will be just as good to you,let's hope so.Will you be OK for bits due to the cars no longer being made ?,I'm sure you will have made sure of that though  Cool
            All the best
           GOZZ.
IP Logged
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 15th, 2013, 10:24am »

All the very best JC with the new car.
Peter
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Apr 15th, 2013, 1:15pm »

Cheers guys, don't worry, I'm not going anywhere & I'll still put my oar in when I need to  Wink

As regards to Saab parts, it shares alot of parts with the Vectra (brakes, suspension, engine parts etc), so no problems there. There are also plenty of pattern parts available now as well  Smiley
IP Logged
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Apr 15th, 2013, 3:13pm »

265,000 miles is a very respectable 'innings' for any car.
Good luck with the SAAB JC, how's it going with the Jeep ?
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
Scorpio

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Apr 16th, 2013, 12:11am »

Sorry to hear this JC. Hope the Saab behaves for you. Glad you will be staying on the forum.  

Good luck.

Adam
IP Logged

TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 18th, 2013, 8:32pm »

on Apr 15th, 2013, 4:37am, Jonnycab wrote:
& just like every good retired workhorse, it will be chopped up & recycled  Wink

Jon, at least it'll make a tasty Findus lasagne Tongue

It's a shame but you did well to get to 265k..everything comes to an end sooner or later, shows how well you looked after it.

I've been out of the loop for ages now, have you still got the Mk1 Granada?

Hope the Saab works out for you, I've always liked the look of the 9-5.

Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Apr 24th, 2013, 1:57am »

I don't believe it !! (Victor Meldrew voice) it failed it's first bloody council inspection today (yesterday now) on a poxy split F/O/S drop link top boot.  
I didn't check it over first because it's got a whole years MOT on it, so I assumed it would sail through the council inspection test........Whoever said, "assumption is the mother of all ***** ups"...wasn't wrong.  

If the MOT tester didn't see that then he needs to get his eyes tested. It wasn't just a little hole. Half the boot was ripped open & exposing the now rusted up ball joint...it had been like it for a good while  Huh
The council test also gave an advisory on a very small tear in the N/S/F drop link top boot as well, although it was just an advisory.....The car has only done 150 miles since the MOT  Roll Eyes

Anyway, bought two new drop links from local motor (FAI pattern parts at £8.50 each...cheaper than Scorpio) & fitted them this afternoon.....Re-test tomorrow, then back on the road after that  Cheesy

Scorpio_Mike...the Jeep is going well & no real problems as yet  Smiley

Tiberius....nice to hear from you Bruce  Wink.....Lasagne ?...more like pounded steak  Roll Eyes.......Spikie told me he will take off all the decent bits & then sell the shell to a banger racer he knows who will race/smash it at Essex Arena.

This kind of scenario may well upset some people, but personally, I would love to see the old girl in the banger arena, bashing lesser Mondeos etc out of the way & end her life in a gladiatorial style.....
....'For those about to die, we salute you'  Wink

Regarding my MK1 Granny....I sold it last July, to a guy from Birmingham who used to run the MK1 Granada club a few years ago.....Gone, but never forgotten  Smiley

IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Apr 24th, 2013, 6:46am »

on Apr 15th, 2013, 6:20am, Simmo wrote:
I take it you checked out the steering rack !!  Cheesy Grin Good luck, Mike.

What did I say? You young boy's should listen to us old fella's !!." I don't belllieeeeieve it"  Shocked.  Let's hope all is well from here on. Best wishes, Mike.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
gost

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 24th, 2013, 6:25pm »

Hi JC   I saw your scorp when i was at Spikies on Saturday, looked immaculate from  50 yards till spikie told me it had done 265000, good luck with new one
IP Logged

2.3 ultima
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Apr 25th, 2013, 1:21am »

on Apr 24th, 2013, 6:46am, Simmo wrote:

What did I say? You young boy's should listen to us old fella's !!." I don't belllieeeeieve it"  Shocked.  Let's hope all is well from here on. Best wishes, Mike.

Sorry Mike, I should have listened to your words of wisdom  Wink

Gost...looked immaculate eh ?....I knew I should have swapped out the dash for one with 50K miles on it  Grin
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Apr 28th, 2013, 10:40pm »

Hey Jon.

Yep I'm still hanging in there - I've got the site bookmarked in Firefox at the moment so I'll probably keep dropping in from time to time Wink. This is still the best (friendliest, most balanced) forum I ever knew, just a shame it's really quiet now compared to how it was 5 or 6 years back, I remember those days fondly Smiley

Bad luck with the Saab, at least it's not a biggie. Every car I've bought with fresh MOT has had niggles show up soon afterwards, these days I just accept it as a fact of life Grin

Just my opinion but I really hate the whole banger racing thing, I've seen photos of your car and read a lot of the posts you made when you worked on it, just seems a bitter end after all the years. I've got nothing against the people who race them, I just think it's a pointless waste, that's all Smiley

Rust in peace - that's how it should be Grin Wink

Bruce.

Edit: Actually, pounded steak sounds pretty good - sometimes I hate being a tree-hugging veggie Grin
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.