Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 30th, 2024, 10:16pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Unregistered Scorpio »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Unregistered Scorpio
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Unregistered Scorpio  (Read 7074 times)
Scorpio

View Profile

Unregistered Scorpio
« on: Jul 10th, 2013, 1:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Only 453 miles. Guess the price! http://www.exchangeandmart.co.uk/used-cars-for-sale/ford/scorpio/ford-sc orpio-2.0-16v-ghia-15284293

Adam
IP Logged

Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re: Unregistered Scorpio
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10th, 2013, 1:48pm »

Hmmm did they do scorpio's with white dials or is it a one off? Also in one of the pictures of the interior it has a auto gear leaver and in the other a manual one. Could it be that someone has been playing with it and maybe adjusted the milage?
IP Logged
Technology2005

Scorpio 2.0 Ultima x 2

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 10th, 2013, 2:30pm »

One of the pictures isn't the same car.... even the seats are different as is the steering wheel. I think someone messed up when loading the pics

David
IP Logged
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 10th, 2013, 2:56pm »

Aye.   Picture 5 isn't a Scorpio.   Looks quite nice though, worth about £2k I reckon!!!   Smiley
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 10th, 2013, 4:48pm »

Says POA but having seen the prices this trader has advertised mint / low miles Mk3 Grannies for in the past I reckon he'll be asking the best part of £7k Shocked
Pity its not a 24v  Wink
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
Daniel

Best cars Ever!!!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jul 10th, 2013, 8:42pm »

Shocked 453 miles!!! Wouldnt that be lovley. looks like mine actually. only mines 24v but not as mint  Grin I wonder how much he wants for it? do you think it will be a stupid amount?
IP Logged

98 Facelift 2.3 Cuirass Ghia Estate 170k miles
97 pre facelift 24v Silver Ultima Saloon 24k miles
PJDavis

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 10th, 2013, 9:18pm »

It'll be a stupid amount.   I can't think what would be better, a car that has been used for many miles (like an average of 6k miles per year) and driven properly with a full service history of regular oil changes, regularly revved to the red line when warm and used as it should be, OR..... some car that has been hidden in a barn and never used with an un-proven track record and al those old parts on it that are just ready to break!!!   I think I'd go for the first option.

Another thing, I was watching Top-Gear the other night and Clarkson stated that he reckoned nobody revved their car to the red-line in normal driving circumstances!!!!   What Balderdash, all of my cars are 'red-lined' in the right circumstances and once the car is properly warmed, almost every time I'm out in them!   How could you ever know if yer car is performing correctly if you don't give them a good blast?   What rubbish the man sometimes speaks.
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 10th, 2013, 10:44pm »

Peter, I couldn't agree more mate on both points you make Smiley

That car looks really nice, but I'm always cynical if a 'barn find' is really a good thing to buy. An old car is an old car, no matter what. Rubber seals and gaskets still get old, plastics on the trim etc still get old and brittle, the wax underseal and paint is still gonna have lost its flexibility, the list goes on and on. So put into daily use it's probably going to deteriorate as fast as any other 15 y/o car would.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, as a show car it's probably really nice, but I'd put more trust into a 100k miler as long as it had decent service history of oil changes etc. Smiley

About driving to the redline, I don't think that many people do to be honest.

My XJ Sport, I used to drive that like a sports car. I'm not a mad or reckless driver but on fast roads it's been opened up a lot over the 7 years I've owned it and I've had a lot of fun with that old car (it's just about powerful enough to 'feel' fast without being a handful). That car is pushing 90k miles now (not huge mileage I know, but it's still 18 years old) and although it's had a lot of maintenance and parts replaced (mostly replacing stuff that isn't broken through paranoia Wink), it runs very nicely still and I don't think all those times I've opened the throttle right up have had that much of a negative effect. Autoboxes always worry me a bit, but I'd trust the engine at redline all day long.

I do the same with my XK, I treat it with care, but it's daft to have a 450bhp car that you never open up on an empty road. With that one, I'll enjoy it then when it's 8 or 9 years old I'll change it for a newer one, while it's still fairly young and before any age related stuff starts to creep in.

My Capri is the total opposite, it's not a pretty picture. Genuine 50k miles on a car built in '82, it's only done 12.5k since 1990 and none at all since 1996 (it's been dry stored since then and is gradually being restored if I ever get the interest back to finish it, which is doubtful Roll Eyes). That car was near perfect when last used, but all the plastics are hard and brittle, seat foams have gone limp, the mechanics all needed rebuilding through lack of use, suspension creeks because all the rubber bushes are old. We had a very nice restoration done in '95 but it's still beginning to have rust break through, especially on the edges of the panels, because the paint has hardened and cracked with age and changes in temperature.

But hey, it's a low miler and that makes it more valuable Grin

What I'm trying to say is that it's nice and all to try keeping these old cars like new, and I've dreamed of doing it in the past, but reality has taught me that it's better to buy a car, use and enjoy it then repair it when it needs it and know when to call it a day...because if you put that car in a sealed room and never look at it, it's still gonna get old.

Sorry guys, another biblically long post, I need to stop looking at this forum Grin

Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Scorpio

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jul 10th, 2013, 11:58pm »

I think POA sort of gives it away. It usually means expensive. It would be good to know where it was previously stored. Is it correct it would need to be an age related plate if never registered with DVLA. Or could it be a 13/63 plate.
IP Logged

Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jul 11th, 2013, 9:03am »

on Jul 10th, 2013, 11:58pm, Scorpio wrote:
I think POA sort of gives it away. It usually means expensive. It would be good to know where it was previously stored. Is it correct it would need to be an age related plate if never registered with DVLA. Or could it be a 13/63 plate.

Interesting point JC.
I would suspect it would get an age related plate - if it got a new current plate it would then have a VED band based on emissions. I don't think manufacturers were compelled to give these until around 1999-2000  Huh
New VED bandings apply to vehicles from April 2001 I think - not sure if that applies to date of 1st registration or date of manufacture.  
That's just my 2 cents, maybe someone else knows better Huh
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
PJDavis

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Jul 11th, 2013, 1:02pm »

Aye Tiberius.   I like driving my 18 year-old Jag quite quickly, as you say, plenty of power for the size of car to feel it's going quick.   I've just a couple of wee things to do to make it perfect, I had it on my works ramp Monday passed and the underneath is like new!   I couldn't believe how good it is, the only exception is the rear sub-frame and diff carrier, it's a bit rusty.   The rear shock bottom bushes are goosed, and the steering needs to have the usual 'Fix', I've put new tyres on the rear after touching-up the Alloys, and I've two new tyres waiting for the front wheels to get the same treatment.   It's a great driving car.
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Jul 11th, 2013, 7:25pm »

One thing I'm curious about, is how you get nearly 500 miles on an unregistered car..is that with trade plates or something, or just an epic number of laps of the garage forecourt? Tongue

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd imagine it would end up on 13 plates if it's not been registered before?
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Scorpio

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jul 11th, 2013, 9:10pm »

Yes, probably trade plates. It will need an MOT before registration as it is over 3 years from manufacture date.
IP Logged

Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jul 11th, 2013, 10:07pm »

It does say on age related registration so has it been registered before? Could DVLA register it on a Q plate?
IP Logged
Scorpio

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Jul 11th, 2013, 10:20pm »

Just found some answers here https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/new-registrations.  Follow link for an old vehicle.
IP Logged

amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Jul 13th, 2013, 9:37am »

on Jul 11th, 2013, 10:07pm, Andycan wrote:
It does say on age related registration so has it been registered before? Could DVLA register it on a Q plate?

Only if DVLA can't confirm it's identity - i.e. missing chassis numbers, engine numbers etc.

It'll get an age related plate.

on Jul 11th, 2013, 9:10pm, Scorpio wrote:
Yes, probably trade plates. It will need an MOT before registration as it is over 3 years from manufacture date.

Not so actually - mot's are due three years from date of first registration.
IP Logged
Scorpio

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Jul 13th, 2013, 10:30pm »

Just found this: Vehicles should receive their first M.O.T. when they reach 3 years of age.  

If a car is registered with no prior use on the road, the M.O.T. will be required three years after the date of manufacture. For example, a car registered "from new" on 25th April 2000 will require its M.O.T. no later than 25th April 2003. If a car is used prior to registration, as would be the case with an import, the M.O.T. will be required three years from the end of the year of manufacture. For example a car manufactured at any time in 2000 will require an M.O.T. no later than 31st December 2003. There is no grace period given after these dates.  

Confused  Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Scorpio

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Jul 13th, 2013, 10:45pm »

Is 453 miles classed as used?
IP Logged

Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Aug 10th, 2013, 9:21am »

This car has been floating around with Rod Allen Cars since before I bought my first Scorpio in about 2000..... he previously had it advertised on Autotrader for £14 grand!!
IP Logged
Daniel

Best cars Ever!!!

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Aug 10th, 2013, 9:53am »

Shocked 14 grand. I'd still love it Smiley anyone know how much it is now?
IP Logged

98 Facelift 2.3 Cuirass Ghia Estate 170k miles
97 pre facelift 24v Silver Ultima Saloon 24k miles
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.