Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 2:02pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« My project, best bits of mk3 and frog-eye. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   My project, best bits of mk3 and frog-eye.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: My project, best bits of mk3 and frog-eye.  (Read 6745 times)
rixivee

2.3i 16v Granada mk3

View Profile Email

My project, best bits of mk3 and frog-eye.
« on: Jul 23rd, 2013, 1:23am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey,  

I'm not quite sure if it's smart to bring mk3 here but here goes..

I crashed my dad's Sierra last December and then I started to look for a sedan mk3 Granada/mk1 Scorpio, because I was very impressed at the fact how great they actually are.

I had been thinking about a frog-eye too but the ones for sale at that time did not appeal to my eye. White or Silver estate looks great without modifications, even without facelift, but I find sedan good looking only when it's black or white and has facelift front bumper, headlights and facelifted rear. The "intake manifold design concept" was probably the biggest reason why I went with mk3 instead.

I believe I will someday own a white or silver, cosworth powered estate but that's not today. I'm still waiting for a mint frog-eye estate, it'll appear eventually.

So, back to the business.. I found a 'cheap' mk3, which at the end turned out to be smelly piece of garbage. We had done so big trip to see it, so I decided I'd buy it and see if that would be THE ONE, which it actually turned out to be. At that point we had two mk3 Grannies and two Scorpios in the family but later I bought a white estate Scorpio for approx. 120€ and now it's a donor for this project.

From the beginning I knew that the 2.0i 8v DOHC my Granny was equipped with would eventually be buried deep into the ground to ensure that it'll never see another sunrise. 8v DOHC pretty much ruined the future of rwd Fords and definitely ruined the future of DOHC-series.

I had been thinking of a 2.3i 16v Scorpio, so I rebirthed the idea, a 2.3i 16v Granny.

Me and my friend had had a  joke going on for a while, "What would it be like to build a "lost link" between frog-eye and mk3?" I started to develop that idea further and then I realized that it would actually be possible. Seats fit, Fascia fits, Doorcards fit.. Steering wheel is the only part that cannot be fitted without major modifications. I'll eventually install frog-eye steering wheel too, I'll have the "steering wheel hub" machined to fit, since the inner is 1,5mm too thick to fit around the large "pipe", which is used for the adjusting.

So I decided to break the 2.0i 16v DOHC Estate(Ghia, automatic). I took steering wheel, doorcards, seats, fuel tank "lid", fascia, instrument cluster, bonnet struts, emblems, floor mats/insulation and some smaller parts that I can't remember right now.

So, currently my plan is to install frog-eye interior and engine(2.3i 16v DOHC, with 2.0i 16v cams and inlet/intake manifold, also thinking of using 2.0i 16v head). Obviously going to call it 2.3i 16v DOHC, even thought it won't be pure.

I've got pretty much everything to do the conversion. I'm going to replace heater matrix in the process too. I'm also using slightly modified version of frog-eye fascia because it's easy to get, so modifying that isn't such crime as modifying original mk3 fascia, which is pretty rare product nowadays. I removed airbag from the fascia and most likely getting rid of the clock too.. Airbag slot will be converted to act as an secondary container and clock spot will be used for something more useful.

Interested in reading more? Let's have good time talking about these great cars(Granny&Scorpio) here.
IP Logged

Ford Granada mk3 2.3i 16v DOHC in the making..
Daniel

Best cars Ever!!!

View Profile

Re: My project, best bits of mk3 and frog-eye.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23rd, 2013, 8:06am »

Definatly sounds different mate  Smiley. There have been 7 granadas and 4 scorpios in my family in the last 17 years(2 at once for a few years), before that it was sierras. We stared at 2.0l and now the last 2 have been cosworths Smiley I have seen a mk3 with scorpio interiour before, it was a black estate for sale quite a while ago now but i cant find any pics. The owner didnt seem to make a point about it so he proberly didnt know  it was different  Roll Eyes  
You got any pics?  
Dan  Smiley
IP Logged

98 Facelift 2.3 Cuirass Ghia Estate 170k miles
97 pre facelift 24v Silver Ultima Saloon 24k miles
rixivee

2.3i 16v Granada mk3

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 25th, 2013, 12:35am »

Just a quick note from my own personal junkyard(adding first pictures to this post later):

I've removed backseats and their seat belts from the estate. Going to dig out floor "boarding" out tomorrow. I'm pretty sure the floor mat is the same for 85-94 Granada and 95-98 Scorpio. This is great because my granny has the mat covered with some slimy goo and the mat from frog-eye is in perfect condition.

I'm also going to swap the seat belts, because the ones frog-eye has are still in perfect condition too. Backseat back from estate doesn't fit granny sedan without a small modification, which takes about 5 minutes to do(swapping the mechanism for up and down position of the seat backs to sedan one, which can be taken from the sedan backseat).

I'm still thinking of whether to use or not use frog-eye seatbelts for the front seats.. I'm kinda afraid of the frog-eye front seatbelts because they have that pretensioner. I obviously wouldn't connect them but still.. If airbags can self-detonate.. Why couldn't these? I'm probably going to use the seatbelts but I'll have my friend cut away the pretensioner part.

I might also use frog-eye side mirrors, like I said earlier. I prefer them over the mk3 original mirrors. I'm also going to install automatic rear view mirror from Ultima.

I also laid my eyes on the frog-eye trunk and realized the equipment in there is different than in mk3. I'm going to swap those. For other useless modifications: I'm going to steal the speakers from the frog-eye, since I've got cheap chinese speakers on my mk3 and their sound is horrible.

I've figured out pretty many fun facts about these great Fords. Definitely a worthwhile job to break a frog-eye, even if it hurts to see one go down.

This has inspired me to write a list of cross-compatible parts Cheesy

Now for some pictures:

http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/rixivee/slideshow/Interior%20swap

on Jul 23rd, 2013, 8:06am, Daniel wrote:
Definatly sounds different mate  Smiley. There have been 7 granadas and 4 scorpios in my family in the last 17 years(2 at once for a few years), before that it was sierras. We stared at 2.0l and now the last 2 have been cosworths Smiley I have seen a mk3 with scorpio interiour before, it was a black estate for sale quite a while ago now but i cant find any pics. The owner didnt seem to make a point about it so he proberly didnt know  it was different  Roll Eyes  
You got any pics?

Haha, "Fordism" is great.. couldn't imagine my life without a Ford. Sierra was great but too small :/ I prefer mk3 granny because it looks a lot like a Sierra but it's a lot bigger.

I'm thinking about buying a 24v granny soon.. Would be a good car for my girlfriend. Smiley I bet 24v roaring at her university's parking yard would make people jealous Roll Eyes

I've heard that a few mk3 grannies were ordered in 1995 and people claim that they would have been equipped with Scorpio interior Huh I've got no idea if it's true or folklore but anyway. I know that there were few "1995 grannies" but no idea if they had or didn't have the new interior.

Anyway. I'm going to build one. Smiley  

EDIT: by the way. If I use weird words for something but you understand what I mean.. Please tell me "correct way" to say it. I always use an alternative way to say something if I don't know the correct word or phrase.
IP Logged

Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 28th, 2013, 8:35pm »

Back in the dark depths there was a member who created what looked like an ultima hatch by transferring wings, bonnet and doors onto a mk3 hatch. Pictures may still be on the site and if my memory is still working I think it was 5stud. Quite surreal to see.
IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 28th, 2013, 8:38pm »

Baz put the leather reclining rear seats from a Mk1 Scorpio into his Ultima, fitted and worked beautifully. Looked really great as well.
IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
rixivee

2.3i 16v Granada mk3

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 29th, 2013, 1:10am »

on Jul 28th, 2013, 8:35pm, Geoff_W wrote:
Back in the dark depths there was a member who created what looked like an ultima hatch by transferring wings, bonnet and doors onto a mk3 hatch. Pictures may still be on the site and if my memory is still working I think it was 5stud. Quite surreal to see.

One Swedish guy also made 1992-1994 saloon Granada with frog-eye bonnet, headlamps and bumper. It looked WAY better than saloon Scorpio(I just happen to dislike the Scorpio rear(saloon).. It uses some weird style, which they never re-used in another Ford).

At one point I lived a fantasy of buying a Saloon Scorpio and modding the rear to fit 90-93 Sierra dark taillights. It would have required so much useless work that I just decided to drop the fantasy and buy a Granada saloon instead Smiley

Here's my baby:
http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag39/rixivee/Ford%20Scorpio/20130728 _222439_zps014a796b.jpg

Rotten rear arches, ugly bumper and grill(they were pretty badly damaged when I bought the car. I "welded" them back together but hoping to get replacements soon. Also going to replace the doors.. two of them are completely rotten from inside.. Thanks to the person who installed aftermarket speakers in the first place). Oh well, at least it's my own car and bank has nothing to do it.

I'm currently experiencing a slight trouble with backseat. It doesn't fit without excessive force, which I'm not willing to use. Engine is also giving me headache, since it's not warming.

EDIT: If someone has mk3 Granada Fog lights or fog light lenses in good condition and willing to sell.. I could buy them if the postage isn't insane(to Finland). Also need a working electronic boot lid opener motor. Most likely it fits from a frog-eye saloon.
IP Logged

rixivee

2.3i 16v Granada mk3

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 3rd, 2013, 11:15pm »

So, I'm currently experimenting yet again.

I'm removing fascia slowly and I've got to change a lot parts..

My clutch died. Impossible to work on the pedal with fascia fitted on. Not sure what exactly happened, but I pressed pedal down.. it "backfired" slightly on my foot and the pedal is slightly pulling the clutch cable even when the pedal is pulled upwards. I'm afraid the pedal mechanism is done, which is sad because it's impossible to get those "low lift clutch pedal" parts in Finland.

I'm also replacing heater matrix. Managed to buy "a few" of them for a really low price. Only 18€ per unit. The importer is trying to get rid of them.. after their warehouses are empty, it'll be pretty much impossible to get heater matrix for Sierra, Granny or Scorpio from Finland. Embarassed

It gets worse:

2.0 8v DOHC Granny is fitted with MT-75 gearbox AND HAS A CABLE OPERATED SPEEDOMETER?

I wonder if it was possible to replace the cable that's stuck into the gearbox with a VSS from ALD4e box? I think both cars had same diff.  

Or is there a way convert cable to electronic? I can't get frog-eye instrument cluster to work otherwise. :/ In that case I'd have to go with the original plan and make the original instrument cluster with the frog-eye fascia.

Ugh.  Roll Eyes

http://www.autometer.com/cat_accessoriesdetail.aspx?vid=115 This is the only thing I can think of, to make it work. I'm open to the idea of installing actual VSS too, but that's a job.

Anyone happen to have a complete 2.0 16v or 2.3 VSS? Most likely 2.0 16v would be the best, since I've got the instrument cluster from 2.0 16v. Oh, and my gearbox is mt75.
IP Logged

rixivee

2.3i 16v Granada mk3

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 4th, 2013, 3:39pm »

I think I'm triple posting now but I've decided to go with original speedo for now. I fitted Granny Instrument Cluster to Scorpio fascia. It's not fitting perfectly but I'm pretty sure nobody can tell the difference, unless there's warning lights shining.

Opinions? Only downside is that I'll have to "dremel" small bits off the fascia. I'm going to strengthen the fascia structure with fiberglass to bring back it's original strength. Obviously those modifications will be made in OEM style and they can't be seen from the outside. Smiley

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag39/rixivee/Ford%20Scorpio/20130804 _171440_zps387d95ea.jpg

Edit: Going to add huge load of pictures tonite if I get access to a computer.

The wood-effect trim is not correctly installed on that photo, that's why you can see through the gap.
IP Logged

Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Aug 4th, 2013, 4:03pm »

on Aug 4th, 2013, 3:39pm, rixivee wrote:

Edit: Going to add huge load of pictures tonite if I get access to a computer.

Hi

Somewhere on the site there's a bit about picture sizes - they should be no bigger than 640x480 pixels.

Dave
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Aug 4th, 2013, 6:20pm »

on Aug 4th, 2013, 4:03pm, Tompion wrote:

Hi

Somewhere on the site there's a bit about picture sizes - they should be no bigger than 640x480 pixels.

Dave

Dave is quite correct. Please resize the existing ones and comply with the advised sizing. Thank you.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
rixivee

2.3i 16v Granada mk3

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 4th, 2013, 7:53pm »

on Aug 4th, 2013, 6:20pm, Simmo wrote:

Dave is quite correct. Please resize the existing ones and comply with the advised sizing. Thank you.

Sorry, I'll fix them. Didn't realize they were too big. Mobile photobucket apparently doesn't give previews when copied.

They don't look so huge on phone screen. :/ Just give me some time to get on my desktop to fix them Smiley I'll direct link from now on and umm, you can also check my other Scorpio related albums if you want to.

So far I have not found anything that can't be made to fit Granny. Steering wheel is probably hardest one, because I'll have to get the frog-eye steering wheel "hub" machined to fit perfectly. Pictures on that topic coming later, too!

~Rix

Edit: The big pictures are now direct links. Will add smaller pictures later!
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.