Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 2:00pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Great Saab Adverts »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Great Saab Adverts
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Great Saab Adverts  (Read 3472 times)
Daniel

Best cars Ever!!!

View Profile

Great Saab Adverts
« on: Aug 3rd, 2013, 2:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all  
Just thought i would share this with you, sorry its long but i think its worth it.  
I have a old CAR mag from april 96 becaus ethey do a test on the scorpio 24v  Grin
At the back over a few pages are some great saab ads., here is what they said.  Love the way they did things but not as good as a Scorpio  Grin

'The 1.6 Audi A4, a powerful argument for the Saab 900.
With only 101 bhp the audi just doesn't overtake like a 130 bhp Saab 900 2.0 litre. Then again it doesn't cost the same as the Saab. Its over a £1000 more.'

'The Jaguar Xj6 3.2. Its more or less like the Saab 900 Aero.
Its obviously less of a performance car, yet manages to be somewhat less spacious with less luggage capacity. It also comes a lot less well equipped. On the other hand for £3600 more you can get all the things like climate control, leather seats, alloy wheels and heated seats the saab owner takes for granted. Oh, one more thing, compared to the Saab, it also uses more fuel.'

'How will your passengers feel about a Mercedes C220?  
Unlike the Saab 900 SE V6 not everyone gets inertia reel seat belts, or enjoys heat absorbing glass. And air conditioning, standard on the Saab, costs a cool £1,948 extra! Uncomfortable truths indeed.'

Are you expecting a lot of exteras with your BMW 525i?  
Compared with the capacious Saab 9000CD, fog lamps and those wonderful heated seats are extra. You have to pay for the option of giving your passenger an air bag and heat absorbent glass isn't even listed. The phiosophy of 'Less is More' is clearly still active in Germany.'  

'A few tricky questions for the Volvo 850 GLT salesman.  
Ask why it hasn't got a 12 mph impact absorption or an off-set crash pprotection system like even the most inexpensive Saab 900. Then really put the boot in (not as big as the Saab's) and ask why in this day and age the passenger isn't worth an airbag as standard?'

Love the way they did things but they cant match a Scorpio  Grin

IP Logged

98 Facelift 2.3 Cuirass Ghia Estate 170k miles
97 pre facelift 24v Silver Ultima Saloon 24k miles
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Re: Great Saab Adverts
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30th, 2013, 2:43am »

There are a few differences between driving a Scorpio & driving a Saab....some better, some worse.

As you all know, I got rid of my trusty old 2.3 Scorp auto & bought a Saab 9-5 2.2 diesel auto to use as a taxi.

The Saab is faster (0-60 in 9.5 seconds (I've timed it 3 or 4 times)), has more precise handling, harder suspension, has bigger wheels (17" with 225/45/17 tyres), has air vents at the rear of the centre console, has a rear centre armrest with a pull up top & recess underneath & twin cupholders that glide graciously out from the front of the armrest, has a front dash cup holder that glides graciously out of the dash & twists graciously around, has three bonnet mounted windscreen washer jets, has an inboard information display that tells you when something isn't working properly....i.e.. from a gearbox problem to a blown sidelight bulb etc, seven speaker stereo system with sub-woofers, does 35mpg around town & 50 mpg on a run, I've yet to put a single drop of oil in it after now doing 6000 miles & the service interval is 18,000 miles.

Like the Scorpio, it has a chain driven engine, so no estimated service interval for the timing chain.

So, why after all these advantages that the Saab has over the Scorpio, do I still find myself missing my old Scorp....That floppy, wallowing old beast with armchair seats that didn't like sharp bends at speed & didn't really accelerate that well compared to more modern cars.
Probably something to do with the Scorpios superior comfort & relaxed driving position & it's prestige as the best car Ford ever produced for the European market  Smiley

If Ford still made the Scorpio now, then there is no doubt in my mind that it would be so much better than anything Saab would ever have come up with & probably better than anything BMW, Mercedes or Audi could produce.

It's a shame that Ford stopped production of the Granada/Scorpio luxury line & decided to have the Mondeo as there flagship model. The Mondeo always has & will be a reps/family car & will never rival BMW/Mercedes/Audi for luxury quality. By getting rid of the Granada/Scorpio range, Ford have become just another average car manufacturer that has no real flagship model & just offers run-of-the-mill vehicles that only tries to compete with the far East car manufacturers  Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 30th, 2013, 7:47am »

Quote:
It's a shame that Ford stopped production of the Granada/Scorpio luxury line & decided to have the Mondeo as there flagship model. The Mondeo always has & will be a reps/family car & will never rival BMW/Mercedes/Audi for luxury quality. By getting rid of the Granada/Scorpio range, Ford have become just another average car manufacturer that has no real flagship model & just offers run-of-the-mill vehicles that only tries to compete with the far East car manufacturers

JC I could not agree more with your comments......

IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Aug 31st, 2013, 7:16pm »

Have you driven the latest Mondeo?  It's fantastic.  Better than a Scorpio.

My wifes MKIII however wasn't a patch on my Scorpio and even with it being a Ghia X it still missed alot of the toys the Scorpio had - the passenger seat was still manual for example!
IP Logged
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Aug 31st, 2013, 8:32pm »

The thing is you need to remember that the scorpio is a old car now and if ford had kept it in production then they would have kept refining it and making it better. If they had done this it would probably beat everything that is on the road now.
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Sep 2nd, 2013, 4:47am »

on Aug 31st, 2013, 8:32pm, Andycan wrote:
The thing is you need to remember that the scorpio is a old car now and if ford had kept it in production then they would have kept refining it and making it better. If they had done this it would probably beat everything that is on the road now.

It could have been a £50,000 car by now & with depreciation, an affordable £2000 car after 7-8 years  Wink
IP Logged
Daniel

Best cars Ever!!!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Sep 2nd, 2013, 9:03am »

on Aug 31st, 2013, 7:16pm, amigafan2003 wrote:
Have you driven the latest Mondeo?  It's fantastic.  Better than a Scorpio.

My wifes MKIII however wasn't a patch on my Scorpio and even with it being a Ghia X it still missed alot of the toys the Scorpio had - the passenger seat was still manual for example!

i 100% agree with you when it comes to the mk3 mondeo my parents have one  Embarassed and its horrible, but i disagree about the latest mondeo. A freind has one fully kitted up, but i would always have a scorp any engine and spec, you never get the same feel driving any mondeo or other lesser cars.   Grin (just own my opinion, course)  Smiley
IP Logged

fieldashley

V plate facelift scorpio 2.3 Ultima.

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Sep 2nd, 2013, 12:03pm »

I agree the mk4 mondeo is great, I've got a 2.0 titanium x tdci estate very good car great spec and drives beautiful.  
That's my daily driver but still take the Scorpio out every Sunday...
IP Logged
Daniel

Best cars Ever!!!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Sep 2nd, 2013, 12:42pm »

It might just be me but i always compare the new Jaguar XJ, BMW 7 series etc to the scorpio. I think if ther ever is a new one (Please Ford Grin) it would be similar size and price. Its hard to see why ford made the mondeo bigger and just dumped the scorp. Matt said at one of the shows now Ford have sold jag they are missing out on a certain type customer. Id love a new one, maybe it will happen one day??
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.