Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 30th, 2024, 10:17pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« PC advice please, »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   PC advice please,
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: PC advice please,  (Read 10328 times)
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

PC advice please,
« on: Feb 21st, 2014, 9:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am having problems with my PC, It was very slow, but after defrag much better, However someone gave me a Kodak printer to try, Well the size of the software was huse, whatever i do with the machine i find Kodak popping up! the printer was no good! Am i right in thinking i can go into registry editor, Hkey_classes_root, To highlight the software, and delete it from there? Thanks Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Scorpio

View Profile

Re: PC advice please,
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21st, 2014, 9:49pm »

Be careful when deleting registry files! They may have linked dependencies. Sounds like you have limited free space on the hard drive. I use http://www.iobit.com there is also an uninstaller add on which is quite comprehensive. Free trial should be enough to repair any ongoing issues.
IP Logged

lesterlad aka Rodders

2.3 Ghia x Estate (Manual)

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 21st, 2014, 9:53pm »

It can be a bit risky deleting stuff from the registry.

I am still on Windows XP and if I need to remove anything I go START > control panel > add or remove programs.

Look for anything Kodak related in there.
IP Logged

There's are methods to my madness!!! I'm not sure what the methods are but there's definitely madness in them
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Feb 21st, 2014, 10:24pm »

Unless you really know what you are doing, leave the registry well alone  Shocked
If you are on Windows 7 use START-> Control Panel-> Programs-> and then use the uninstall option.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 22nd, 2014, 8:28am »

The other way .... Is to navigate to the KODAK Folder in system and inside the KODAK folder there should be an uninstall program . BUT the most reliable way is as already advised Start.... Control Panel...Programs and Features. If all else fails there are programs available on the net to uninstall unwanted programs
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 22nd, 2014, 2:56pm »

Thanks for replies, i think i will leave this alone and get aan uninstall program, There is no sign of Kodak in Add/remove! cheers
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
brds

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 22nd, 2014, 6:57pm »

I recommend Revo Uninstaller. It's free and clears the Registry really well. I've never had a problem with it on XP or Windows 7. It works by using the relevant programme Uninstaller and then goes really deep to clear all the rubbish they leave behind.
For normal cleaning I use CCleaner. It clears files and can clean the Registry of most stuff.
For really thorough cleaning I have used Avast but that is only free for a short time before it switches off.
Bob.
IP Logged
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 26th, 2014, 3:40pm »

Thanks Bob, i have Revo now, which i find very good, and will have a look at Avast too, I guess if there was a way to restore Kodak from Services or Hkey-classes etc to desktop,  i could then delete it with Revo! i did notice that when downloading Revo there are a few other programs that download with it, But easily deleted as you you say with Revo, i think the bottom line is i need a new PC! or a brain, Thanks Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Feb 27th, 2014, 3:22am »

IOBit uninstaller is quite good as well. It uses the programs' uninstaller program & then offers to clean up all the registry paths that the program has left behind. I've been using it for about 3 years & never had a any compatibilty problems with my Windows XP Pro  Smiley
IP Logged
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 27th, 2014, 10:26am »

Thanks jonnycab, i downloaded Avast and watch it scan everything, i noticed that it picked up hundreds of files, from norton 360, it took ages, also many other groups of files i no longer need! i had problems with PC in the past and took it to a guy to sort out, i guess i was thinking all these old redundant files would have been swept away! Sad   It is one one those things when you don't know who to take it to,) However the only place i can find these files is in registry, (like Kodak problem) its as if all normal icons have been taken off, leaving all the rubbish with no title anywhere i can see, to remove all these old files, have a feeling the obvious is staring me in the face!! Any further advice please, Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Feb 27th, 2014, 12:00pm »

Also, have you tried 'Ccleaner' ? It can scan the registry & safely delete registry paths that aren't in use anymore.
I've been using it for years & never had any problems with it  Smiley
IP Logged
brds

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 28th, 2014, 4:37pm »

I agree, it's a nightmare when downloading free S/W to avoid all the junk that they try to install. Regarding Avast, it is very thorough and finds things that even other Registry cleaners such as Revo and Ccleaner miss. Unfortunately the delete facility is only free for a short trial period so if you really want to clear all the old Norton rubbish, I think you'll have to purchase a subscription - I'm too mean for that so if you find something else that's free I'll be interested.
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 1st, 2014, 8:13am »

There is a NORTON removal tool available   Like HERE
IP Logged

ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Mar 3rd, 2014, 9:49am »

Thanks for that link Snoopy! what a program! it is brilliant! basically what it does, is scan the pc, then reports on everything from size temp state of drives, amount of ram, check for missing Windows files and any viruses, etc, It tells me my hard drive is running slow, but the rest of the diganosis, was 9 viruses, (many were adware!) And many Windows files missing! But what this program does is replace missing  Windows files, When run in Safe mode, it takes some time, but all done now! Amasing! my PC engineer could not do that! Cheers Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 6th, 2014, 4:42pm »

Spoke too soon, i switched on pc today to find a Microsoft Windows Error report! corrupted Error report=serious problem on pc, The message says corrupted Error reports are rare! Then it tells me to back up, goes on-click Start, point to All Programs, then point System Tools, then click Backup, There is no Backup! Angry
Any one advise on this please? cheers Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Mar 7th, 2014, 8:39am »

From what you are saying It sounds like you have the start of some major component failure. such as the processors  or hard drive or even the Motherboard. They all eventually give iup the ghost. but as they start to fail they do give some very strange reports.  
I well remember an old PC I had which had a failing MB it gave me some very strange errors.

The only thing I can suggest is that you start up in " safe mode" ( tap F8 on boot up) and see if you can fix it from there.
Good Luck
IP Logged

Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Mar 7th, 2014, 7:33pm »

on Mar 3rd, 2014, 9:49am, ro284 wrote:
Thanks for that link Snoopy! what a program! it is brilliant! basically what it does, is scan the pc, then reports on everything from size temp state of drives, amount of ram, check for missing Windows files and any viruses, etc, It tells me my hard drive is running slow, but the rest of the diganosis, was 9 viruses, (many were adware!) And many Windows files missing! But what this program does is replace missing  Windows files, When run in Safe mode, it takes some time, but all done now! Amasing! my PC engineer could not do that! Cheers Bob

You need to be careful to get the right thing when downloading from places like majorgeeks as they try & push other software, it can be quite difficult to find the correct download button. The Norton removal tool is from Symantec (Norton) & only removes Norton entries - it doesn’t do what your download did, maybe it removed something it shouldn’t.

Some antivirus also have a separate rootkit scan, if yours does try running that. My computer once got infected from a link on the BBC website of all places AVG’s rootkit scan found the problem (although I still restored the computer from a recent back up anyway).

The free version of Malwarebytes is worth trying from http://www.malwarebytes.org/.

Microsoft warning messages can of course be fake. If you don’t use the default colour scheme a give away for some of the fakes is if they still use the default Windows colour scheme.

IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Mar 8th, 2014, 8:50am »

Another good scanner is the ESET which is als free but takes time ESET

I  use malwarebytes weekly.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.