Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 7:39am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Non Ford rebuild »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Non Ford rebuild
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Non Ford rebuild  (Read 10909 times)
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

Non Ford rebuild
« on: Mar 3rd, 2014, 10:34am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi i have mentioned this before, but unfortunately could not get any pics of progress, and still cannot as yet, But as a matter of interest my son is restoring an 3-3 litre Vauxhall  Viscount, (He has an early Vauxhall  FD estate as well) And in spite of moving workshops, blown welder, etc , he really is starting to get somewhere with it, There is a chance that it is the earliest that will be on the road next year, it’s a 96, What i’m impressed with is how he can weld, etc. he really is doing a very thorough job, The engine has been rebuilt, to take unleaded raise  compression, etc,  his fabrication is excellent too, i managed to repair the welder and will probably help with re-wiring the car, But what amazes me is how big this car is, not only about 2 feet longer than a Scorpio estate, but very Wide! The interior will be a major problem, Scorpio seats are too small and look lost in it, The interior trim will be a nightmare, just now he is welding a custom made exhaust system, He has had to modify fuel tank, by welding it when full of water! put a new roof on! He has got a big workshop, but it’s such a big car, until it comes out of there, it’s impossible to get far enough back to take any pictures, but i’ll update this if anyone is interested, must admit to looking forward to see this finished, with a custom paint job, Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re: Non Ford rebuild
« Reply #1 on: Mar 3rd, 2014, 12:55pm »

That is a very nice car and just a few years ago they had several in the scrap yard up the road from me but alas they have all gone now and I did not have any room to work on one.
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 7th, 2014, 1:08am »

Bob - I don't know a huge amount about the Viscount, but shortly before I came along (and I'm 29 so this is going back a bit Wink), my father owned a Victor (I believe it was an FE, from memory he sold his Interceptor or his Lotus Cortina for it, don't remember which) and that was one of the factory converted estates which they made a few of, with the 3.3 inline 6 engine fitted to it. That thing was huge even by modern standards - Mum remembers it and says that car was too long to even fit it in the garage, so it spent its life parked outside and she remembers that Dad got really angry because the local yobs kept breaking the rear quarter windows and they cost a fortune to get replaced.

It was painted a colour called 'Pampas Green', which from the photos I've seen of it was pretty funky 70's stuff, not something I'd want my car painted in today but I've always admired vintage Vauxhalls because they carried the US styling influence well.

Bruce Smiley
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Apr 7th, 2014, 7:57am »

A few years ago now but a mate of mine was interested in getting himself a classic car from the early 70's era to use as a daily driver as it would be road tax exempt. He had a tip that a local breakers yard had just taken in a Vauxhall Ventora 3.3 auto which was far too good to break and needed light restoration. We went to look at the car and outwardly is looked immaculate in a pale metallic blue finish and very nice black interior. Sadly, closer inspection revealed severe rot in the sills and floorpan   Sad  
Probably could have been fixed up by someone with welding know-how but too much of a project for my mate.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 13th, 2014, 7:59pm »

Problem with rust on old cars is that you never cure it, you're just chasing it around all the time...a bit like Whack a Mole really Sad

That's what I found with the Capri, when I finally got around to pulling it out of the garage in London last June, it had sat 15 years but me and a mate got it running within the space of 3 hours for the price of a few beers and a new battery, tyres and ignition leads and after belching smoke for a couple of minutes from the oil we'd poured into the cylinders beforehand it settled down and ran fine (those old Pintos are quite tough Smiley). But the major issue is the rust, because that car has the uncanny ability to leak out of every weather seal and even though it's been Waxoyled in the past, just show the floorpan a cup of water and it rusts..

Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.