Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 26th, 2024, 10:21pm

Balance: £22.25
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Weird economy »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: Highlander, Baz, admin, scorpio_man, Simmo)
   Weird economy
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Weird economy  (Read 2229 times)
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Weird economy
« on: Nov 28th, 2015, 11:10am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I find it idiotic that I need to upgrade my pc operating system to windows 7, 8 or 10 yet it is so much cheaper to buy a pc with this already on than to buy the operating system on it's own. I know it is the throw away society we live in but it is such a waste in resources.

I also find it idiotic that the government should get rid of the tax discs on vehicles to save £10,00,000 without realising that it would lead to more people driving without tax costing them an estimated £80,000,000 lol. Could the governments policies be causing austerity rather than getting rid of it? Lol.
IP Logged
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

Re: Weird economy
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28th, 2015, 12:21pm »

If you have Windows 7 you should be able to get a free upgrade from Microsoft to Windows 10 - assuming your PC hardware is reasonably up to date.

IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
a900one

A scorpio is for life not just for christmas

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 28th, 2015, 12:23pm »

I would advise against windows 8, thats what I have and I hate it. As I am one of the baby boomer I tend to keep things and try to repair them, then throw them away when that fails Angry. The bankers, that caused all the problems, are still enjoying rich rewards, while we all pay for it. At the moment I have a tax disc in my car from 1973, from my old zepher 4, you could tax it then for only 4 months at a time, cost £9.15p.
IP Logged
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Nov 28th, 2015, 11:38pm »

Sorry I forgot to mention I have windows XP. I always recycle where I can but with such a old operating system you need to upgrade or buy a new pc.
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Nov 29th, 2015, 3:54am »

on Nov 28th, 2015, 12:21pm, Scorpio_Mike wrote:
If you have Windows 7 you should be able to get a free upgrade from Microsoft to Windows 10 - assuming your PC hardware is reasonably up to date.

I don't want Windows 10, I'm quite happy with Windows 7. But Microsoft seems to think I would like Windows 10 so much that they constantly put the upgrade in my monthly updates without asking  Huh

At first when Windows 10 scanned my computer it said the hardware wasn't compatible (it's 7 years old), but now it says it is compatible  Huh

But half my programs....like vehicle workshop manuals, ODB software & dash cam software state they are only compatible with Windows up to 8.....none say 10.

I'm happy with Windows 7 & don't want the upgrade. Microsoft should be sued for disguising the Windows 10 upgrade as a normal monthly essential update  Angry

P.S.....I only upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7 a year ago (software was cheap).....so Windows 10 will have to wait a few years  Wink
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 29th, 2015, 9:10am »

I seem to remember that you can hide unwanted updates from Microsoft ... try right click on the update !
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Nov 29th, 2015, 12:24pm »

I did try that Dave, but it still keeps coming back every month & tries to download 'KB3035583' update (which we all know is the Windows 10 patch). In fact, a few months back, it actually managed to download the entire Windows 10 operating system without my knowledge...& all I needed to do was click 'install'.

Why are Microsoft being so pushy with this new operating system ?  Undecided
IP Logged
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Nov 29th, 2015, 6:11pm »

They are not going to be doing any more updates for windows 7 or 8 and so you are entitled to the free upgrade to windows 10 but only for a certain time. Windows 10 is supposed to be able to run windows 7 and 8 programmes but they always say that but 9 times out of 10 the won't work lol.
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Nov 30th, 2015, 1:50pm »

Windows 7 support doesn't end until January 2020, so I'll stick with it for the time being  Wink
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 9th, 2016, 6:43am »

Just FYI I'm still running 20 years old programs on Windows 10 on a new 64-bit Dell notebook.

However I had to turn off Windows updates because they kept screwing things up, which I had previously got working perfectly OK.

Actually I had to stop updates on Vista for the same reason, so not unique to Win 10.

Windows 10 has compatibility mode back to XP, but interestingly the old programs work better if I don't use that, just have them set to run as administrator.

IP Logged

Mike H
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.