Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 1st, 2024, 12:19am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« electrical gremlins in my 2.5td »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   electrical gremlins in my 2.5td
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: electrical gremlins in my 2.5td  (Read 928 times)
stockcar888

nice butt, shame about its face

View Profile Email

electrical gremlins in my 2.5td
« on: Mar 20th, 2004, 5:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Huhwhen i turn off my ignition ,the battery,fuel warning,and handbrake warning lights all remain dimly lit in the dash.brightening to normal when turning the ignition back on this is obviously ausing a battery drain ....any ideas,before i take drastic action and put it in the main deaaler as i have run out of things to try .......thanx
IP Logged

1996 2.5 td ghia saloon
Mick Saunders

Hi to all you Scorpions.

View Profile Email

Re: electrical gremlins in my 2.5td
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20th, 2004, 7:45pm »

Smiley Hi Stock (if I may call you that),
3 possibles spring to mind :-
1)   Bad earth on dashboard circuit.
2)   Dry joint on dash printed circuit board.
3)   My favorite.  Short in ignition switch module.
Hope this is of some assistance.
Mick
IP Logged
stockcar888

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 20th, 2004, 8:53pm »

Smileyhi mick,you can call me anything as long as its not ugly!!!,thanks for the info .i've already checked the dashboard earth and the p.c.b,no signs of problems there ! as for the ignition switch module i  have checked everything from the ignition switch, right back through the fuse box ,(even to the extent of complete removal of every fuse and relay) and all i found was a fuse blown in the heated screen/heated mirrors circuit ,which explains why i thought this model not fitted with same (should have checked!!!) and i've had pat and ecu units out from behind the glovebox and not so much as a corroded joint or terminal to be seen.the only thing that has caused me some concern is the discovery of a crack in the battery fusebox lid and the fact that apparently i should have a cover on the battery and looking through the other problem pages listed i wonder if a bit of moisture in there somewhere might be contributing to my nightmare  might explain the damp passenger footwell as well!what do you think.? would appreciate your opinion before starting to strip anything else unescessarily.      i think 5 hours in any weekend is enough .my love of scorpio's is under extreme strain at the moment..  Cry                         96 2.5 td ghia
IP Logged

1996 2.5 td ghia saloon
Mick Saunders

Hi to all you Scorpions.

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 20th, 2004, 9:17pm »

SmileyHi Stock,
                 Yes you should have a cover over your battery (Practice safe continuity )you know it makes sense. Could I suggest a spray with WD 40 around the area, after a good drying out with a hot air drier. These cars seem to be prone to moisture in the electrics due to, as you've noticed, almost every fuse, relay & bridge are outside the car, covers are a must!!. As for the damp foot well check the A/C-Climate control drains, they get blocked & give this symptom
Mick
IP Logged
Grant

Cosworths makes me bad.

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 20th, 2004, 9:40pm »

Water ingress into the fusebox seems most likely. Once there is works through the loom by capillary action and ends up in the footwell.  Remove all fusebox internals from their plastic box and I bet you find a puddle of water with all the wires sitting in it.
IP Logged
stockcar888

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 20th, 2004, 9:54pm »

Grin hi mick.silly me eh! will purchase battery cover post haste and consider myself suitably chastised.havnt got a/c and water seems to be coming from the loom an the nearside!should have seen that when i had the pats and ecu out! thanks alot 4 your help
IP Logged

1996 2.5 td ghia saloon
stockcar888

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 20th, 2004, 10:09pm »

Grin hi grant.  must admit seemed a bit far fetched but after opening up battery fuse box and dropping the 2 10 mill bolts down the pit... oh well find them in the morning ,guess what? puddle in the fuse box base . and on shaking the top half ,added to the puddle .i think first job tomorrow (having disconnected the battery immediately)will be to work out how to dismantle the top plate and dry it out properly eh?  many thanks..... between you and mick i've probably saved a  few quid and a bigger headache Grin Grin           p.s  having had the pat out i wont have to have it reset will i?
IP Logged

1996 2.5 td ghia saloon
Mick Saunders

Hi to all you Scorpions.

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 20th, 2004, 10:09pm »

Smiley Thanks to Grant as well. I didn't know you vehicle hadn't got  A/C.
Mick
IP Logged
stockcar888

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 20th, 2004, 10:17pm »

Grin hi mick , thanks 4 your advise as well..  i thought all new scorps had a/c  until i bought this one . i was begining to think i'de bought a right old dog this is my first new shape one and it was'nt impressing me much. lets hope this is as easy as it looks.  thanks again
IP Logged

1996 2.5 td ghia saloon
Grant

Cosworths makes me bad.

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 21st, 2004, 12:55am »

I wouldn't bother trying to totally dismantle the top section. Just unplug all plugs from underneath and leave it on top of a radiator in the house for 24 hours. Worked a treat on mine! The plugs are all keyed so can only go back in the correct place.
IP Logged
stockcar888

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 21st, 2004, 4:51pm »

Smiley Smileyhi grant.....boy do i wish i had read your message 3 hours ago. i have just re.installed the fuse box (drivers side)and all is well , have you ever dismantled one yourself? daunting at first ,but if you do it systematically  and carefully its not as bad as it first appears. good experience if anyone else ever needs help with the same .yet again many thanks for your valuable advice  .. geoff. Grin            p.s....all that was needed for battery fuse box was good session with hair dryer. first thing tomorrow ...off to dealer ,new lids for both fuse boxes and battery cover, i think a night in the garage is in order ,out of the weather..
IP Logged

1996 2.5 td ghia saloon
Grant

Cosworths makes me bad.

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 21st, 2004, 10:27pm »

Glad you got it sorted.  Grin Grin
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.