Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 12:45am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« New owner - more auto problems »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   New owner - more auto problems
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New owner - more auto problems  (Read 855 times)
ron_c

Why did I buy this thing????

View Profile Email

New owner - more auto problems
« on: Mar 21st, 2004, 8:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I,ve had 4 grannies from 1972, starting with the 2.5L. Loved em all and done millions of miles with no problems, presumably because I,ve avoided Ford Dealers with one notable exception which cemented my resolve to stay away for good. My last lovely Scorpio (grannie type) suffered an unprovoked attack from a white van last July and, after limping along for another 6 months was finally replaced by an apparently reasonable 2.0 Ultima estate and went to the scrap yard in the best of health at 200k  but badly bent.
Enough of the past, I think I could learn to love the replacement if I could only sort the gears. My last automatic was a 1960 Humber Super Snipe so I do not really know what to expect as I last drove that about 35 years ago.  
From cold, it seems fine apart from a vibration 30-50 which almost disappears after 10-15 miles. It feels like propshaft - see notes at end. The problems start as it warms up and fit very well with those associated with a dirty MAF sensor. Basically, it drops out of O/D anywhere between 60 and 80 and sometimes drops back if the throttle is increased (Huh) but more often ends up doing 4000 + RPM at 70. I do not think that it is mechanical as it will often return to normal operation if I pull over and stop and restart immediately. The gears seem normal otherwise although it is thirsty around 30-35 and appears to find a variable gear between 25 and 40 and also sometimes between 3rd and O/D.  
I think that someone has been trying to fix this before as the MAF looked clean before I started and I have cleaned it 3 times since with no effect. It has had a Lambda sensor fitted within the last few thousand miles.  (Now @ 155K). I have spotted some patched up wires round the back of the cylinder head.  
Other than that, it could be a worthy successor to the old granny apart from a few purely mechanical niggles (steering judder, leaking power steering, new wishbones, etc.) The gearbox oil is a clean pale pink but I,ve not done the full tests as recommended elsewhere in this forum.  
I'm begging for help and I've put all my begs in one askit. (sorry!) can anyone give me hope please?  
IP Logged
SaveTheNight

I can resist anything ...except temptation !!

169650675 169650675    
View Profile WWW Email

Re: New owner - more auto problems
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21st, 2004, 8:11pm »

just a quick answer ..< more later > ..but we all get so used to advising MAF cleaning ..that its easy to forget the MAF can easily be kaput  ..worth changing with someone if you can to eliminate that ..the wires at the back of the head may be gearbox loom wires which could also be responsible ....  regards ...STN
IP Logged

bertie

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 21st, 2004, 9:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

have you got access to OBD equipment and read the fault codes....

pound to a penny it'll read shift c soleniod at fault...

there's 2 soleniods ... 1 outside the box and 1 inside....

fault code P0734 or P0763

if it shows P0733...then that indicates the Maf is kaputt!!!

hope this helps

simon
IP Logged
ron_c

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 21st, 2004, 11:10pm »

STN and Simon,
Thanks for your prompt and encouragingly positive and knowlegable replies. (I hope that this note ends in the right place as I tried to reply earlier but it went nowhere.)
I agree entirely with STN but have no easy way of trying a cheap substitution.  
I like the idea of solenoids but is shift c solenoid  inside or outside and is it within reach of a dedicated DIYer.
Perhaps it is a time for forgiveness and I should go cap in hand to my local Ford agent in the hope of an honest opinion. It's just that last tme I asked them to fix something they added two extra problems which took me half a day to fix and wanted a full day to do the job properly. I then fixed the original with a piece of cloth and a screwdiver in 5 minutes, but that was 10 years ago!
Thanks again chaps and I am warming to my Scorpio.
Ron

IP Logged
ron_c

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 11th, 2004, 10:16pm »

Right! I,m finally getting close to tackling my gearbox problem having convinced myself that it's not too serious. (famous last words?). I,ve fixed loads of other problems and I'm now convinced that I want this thing to live. I've two problems...
 Vibration- feels like propshaft, mainly when cold.
20 - 50 when pulling away and 40- 60 cruising. Prvious owner had new bearing so assume reassembled wrongly or still need rubber bush. It's fine when warm.
Gearbox. Seems O/K when cold and driven hard but has a distinct intermediate gear 25 - 40 ish. It also drops out of O/D when cruising at light throttle around 70. If I can accellerate or gently slow down it can recover but will rapidly reach a point where it becomes persistent and only recovers if I stop and restart. I have done 200 motorway miles without problems but certain road/traffic conditions can bring it on suddenly. It also seems reluctant to let go occasionally when slowing gently to a stop.
I haven't yet been able to get it's bumps felt so I have no guidance from error codes.
The MAF looks brand new and the economy is improving with use. Otherwise, apart from a tendency to stall until really warm, it's running beautifully considering it's 155K.(aint I the lucky one!)  
If anyone can help  or add to the useful info from STN & Bertie I should be pleased to hear from them.

Ron.

P.S. I fixed the scorched wires - some sort of sensor on the head and ignition wiring.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.